Any hope for this?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by funkatation, Nov 21, 2006.

1. funkatation

funkatation I'm dead sexy!

This is all over my poor car :(
    2006 VW Jetta GLI Salsa Red

Dealer kept trying to fix it by making it worse... It looks great when they give it back to me, but after the first wash, they are back. Is there a permanent fix to this, or will it need to be re-waxed all the time?

Thanks,

David

[​IMG]

2. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

This is why I leave very strict instructions that the dealerships detail dept does not touch my vehicle again or the deal is off.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

When are people going to learn the only thing dealerships do well is sell cars. They are not car washers or detailers. They are car sellers. :rant2:

Oh, and how about a smaller pic so I can get a better visual referrence? That appears to be rotary swirls but I can't be positive. Looks like they might end up owing you a paint job if they keep buffing the hell out of it.

4. Scottwax

You are aware that Texas is 800 miles across, right? ;)

5. funkatation

funkatation I'm dead sexy!

This has been going on a while. I made the stupid decision of buying some paint protection product they were selling, and I had issues with bird droppings, and water spots, and tree sap, and each time I got it back, it came back worse. The paint protection company actually paid $300 to a detail shop, and thats when it came back the worse. After this, the dealer took it to their body shop to "refinish" the car and it didn't do any good. They said it was some 3-step process, but it looked like they threw a coat of wax on and called it a day (and a week of my time). The paint is starting to look cloudy in areas, and its hologram city. They told me today that "I should learn to fall in love with the swirls" and that a repaint would make the car look worse than the swirls...

Here is one of the same area... its the rear quarter panel.

[​IMG]

Here is one on the top edge of the car.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  6. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

my friend.. i work for dealerships and im gonna say that aint shit.. 75% of there used cars look like that! i believe a rotary and wool pad causes those swirls.. i am using a rotary and foam pad and it comes out perfect.. but i seen the dealerships "special" detailer buff out a car and bam! comes out swirled as a mofo..

7. Scottwax

They owe you a paint job. Seriously. If it has been buffed that much, your clearcoat is probably shot. I'd contact the VW Zone manager and let them know how upset you are that your paint job is ruined. A competent body shop can repaint your car and buff it out properly.

You should also contact a lawyer.

8. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  9. Scottwax

My brother ended up suing the body shop that fucked up his truck, he got $10,000, 35% of which went to the lawyer but $6500 was more than enough for him to get out from under that truck and into a new one with money to spare.

10. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

my advice.. if your going to have them repaint it, dont! just have them pick up the bill for whatever shop you choose.. they are gonna do the cheapest job possible! hell.. might even 1 thick layer of crappy clear and call it a day.

11. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

that paint job is rooted. for a brand new car that's horrible and like scottwax says if they've buffed it that much you won't have much clearcoat left. whatever paint protection they put on there is going to be gone, too :)

"learn to fall in love with the swirls" :ugh2: - sounds like they're admitting they have permanently marked your paint to me. I'd pursue it and get a respray out of them - and have it done by an independent workshop. Talk to someone higher up at VW as a first step. It'll be cheaper than chasing it through the courts.

Honestly, paint protection is a load. It's only a temporary measure anyway, the permanent one is called clear-coat :)

You're much better off waxing your car regularly. I did mine last weekend, then washed it during the week and tree sap, splattered bugs, the works... slid straight off.. I was even saying to myself "F&ck me Tech Wax is good stuff" as I was washing it :big grin:

12. Scottwax

Did you buy the car new? If so they owe you a factory quality repaint or another car. You need to see a lawyer and let them know what they said about falling in love with the swirls. Fuck and fuck 'em hard. Maybe if dealerships started getting sued for their shitty work, they'd learn to train their people and supervise them properly.

13. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

Good for him, i'd say go for it. Find a lawyer who doesn't need a fee upfront just takes a third.

14. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:rofl::rofl: No such fucking thing.... unless you take EVERYTHING apart and bake the fucker on REALLY hot.