GUN Any holster tips for a first time carrier?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by purebad, Jan 24, 2009.

1. purebad

purebad I don't need your approval, right?

So I just picked up an Uncle Mikes open top kydex holster, it has the belt or paddle option, so after I have tried it on, I'm looking for advice on the holster setup.

I was going to go with the paddle for ease of removal, but its kind of a feat trying to get it off, it has two lips that hook under my belt that I always have to fight to unhook.

Also, should I be putting it on at 3 oclock? I'm sure the tilt forwards or backwards and vertical level of the gun is all personal preference. I think I'm going to start with the butt tilted forward.

One last thing, the gun seems to slide out rather easy, should I be tightening the retention holder?

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Strait up and down is fastest for me for traditional kydex owb holster. On my race holsters I like to have some forward cant.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Tilting the butt forward will probably help you conceal it a little better. I've also not heard great things about UM kydex and don't have great things to say about their nylon so if it doesn't conceal well for you don't assume its the fault of the gun.

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

With the understanding that carrying with that holster is sort of like trying to drive a slalom with a cement truck, straight up and down at your 3 will normally conceal best for a OWB style holster, but a butt forward cant at 4 will be easier to draw from in a wider variety of positions.

Throw away the paddle attachment.

Tighten the retention screw until you can shake it upside down at least a few times without the gun falling out.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The UM kydex is very popular for competition. Would not have a problem using it strong side OWB w/ a jacket.

6. I use a UM kydex holster for IDPA.

7. purebad

purebad I don't need your approval, right?

Is there a general concensus daily carry OWB brand/type holster?

8. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

There are literally thousands of options.

I use a Blackhawk sepa for the most part if I am wearing kydex.
    There are tons of leather options, and I have many from Galco and Don Hume

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Not really there are too many factors. Much of it depends on how you dress. I would say if you are OWB then your wearing a jacket so it really doesn't matter much. A holster that sits higher on the hip is more popular. I really don't like these as much as the gun is in a much different spot than I am accustomed too. The grip is almost up to your armpit on some of these. (exaggerating but not by much).

To me you need a owb and a iwb holster. Then you can match the holster for how you need to dress that day.

As far as retention I use the uspsa retention test. Climb up on a chair and then jump up and off of it. If the holster bounces our of your holster you need to adjust the tension.

The better holsters such as UM, blade tech, comptac etc all have tention adjustment screws.