MIL Any help would be appreciated

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Naygrow, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Naygrow

Naygrow .

I recently took the Marines asvab test and scored a 99 on it, i am currently a senior in high school and the recruiting officer told me that he wanted me to do Intel. My question is, should i enlist right out of highschool or do you think that i should particiapte in the ROTC program at the college i am going to next year so that i can enlist as an officer, thanks for your time and again, any help at all would be appreciated :)

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

two different experiences that you have to decide for yourself.

3. Naygrow

Naygrow .

but from your experience, what do you think would benefit me more? going ROTC in college or just straight up enlisting out of HS

4. kidhero

i don't know you.

if you're thinking that because you scored a 99 on the ASVAB makes you smarter than enlistees and that you should be going to ROTC instead, that's really your own judgement.

being an officer and being an enlistee are two different things. at your current stage of life if you have a chance of going to college you should most likely take that instead. two years later when ROTC really matters maybe you'll think being in the military isn't your cup of tea.

if your feelings now is that you would really like to be a marine and that hard work, Corps values, and fraternity and brotherhood unseen in any other branch of military service as well as a chance of partaking in a war that will be remembered in the history books for the next thousand years, then enlisting after high school would be better for you.

if all else you can always be a reservist.

they're all three very different experiences. who you are and what you want to do in the future determines which path you should take. a recruiter's job is to match your personality with a path. if he is giving you bullshit anwsers then tell him so and find a different recruiter. if you aren't sure of what he says come back and ask the same question you asked of the recruiter and we'll tell you.

besides that i really can't tell you which one is better or worse or which one is good for you.

5. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

:werd:
    For Example, I could be making much more money as an Officer, But I don't want to be held to the higher standards, and I'm a working blue-collar sort of person. I like to get my hands dirty, so I went enlisted.

Officer and Enlisted are 2 completely different job markets. You need to decide for yourself which path is right for you.

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Go to college. Let Uncle Sam pay for it.

7. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

:werd: it's what im doin, partially anyway.
    If you do go officer a few things Ive seen already before im even close to getting a commission is that
    1.Enlistees will talk shit about you no matter wat but it's all in fun(sometimes).
    2.For AT LEAST your first yr in the fleet you dont know shit so dont act like you do, or else item 1 becomes intensified and your job gets harder, so just chill out and dont try to change the oil on a truck that just got back from the diesel tech for an overhaul(weird analogy i know)
    3.You dont know shit, there is a reason you just went to a yr+ worth of school (2.5-3months for one of the OCS programs, 6mos for The Basic School, 2-8mos for MOS training, possibly more) so sit down and shut up.
    4.RESPECT your NCO's bc if it weren't for them you wouldnt have a Corps to be in, as they are the backbone of said Corps.
    5.When/if you get the chance GO TO BAT for your Marines, dont leave em hangin else u want to claim the title "Shitbag Officer" besides ITS YOUR JOB!!!

There's lots of other shit I cant remember right now, if u want I can try to remember it all lol besides most of the guys here are enlisted and will let u know up front wat would be wise to do or not to do(they have actual experience the above stuff I posted is drawn from these guys, just thought itd be helpul in this thread)

8. gookarachie

gookarachie New Member

All of you ROTC people listen to this guy. Very good words of wisdom.

9. Killgunner

Killgunner OT Supporter

Two choices : 1. Enlisted- Hate your life for the next 4 years and want to kill yourself everyday.
    2. Officer- Easy, Stress-Free life and better pay.

Hmm... that's a toughie.

10. Capitals

Capitals Guest

Enlisted get the self respect, dignity and brotherhood that officers usually miss out on. :wiggle:

Officers (at least in my unit) have a 9-5 job then go home. They in their own little world. :dunno:

11. kidhero

officer are held in a different standards. you run hundreds of miles a week to make sure you're always ahead. you do all the training you can so that you're never looking like an idiot. you do your best every day to handle all the lists of shit your marines hands you to deal with.

they're completely different experiences.

12. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

:rofl: I've know many officers that could run hundreds of miles a week to save their live. Seriously... good officers do keep in shape to set an example for their soldiers but there are officers out there that are complete pogs.

Being an officers does not automatically mean you are squared away and know what you are doing.

13. Nixstress

That must be just your unit... there are also officers out there doing pt at 0600 and that don't come home until 1900 or later...

14. Nixstress

You do realize also there are officers out there that have prior service right?

15. evan2

evan2 Guest

lol if you got a 99 on the asvab you need to join the air force and stop messing with them devil dogs, your life style will suck
    step into the blue and make the right choice, you would be the first marine with a 99 on the asvab

unless they gave you a special one..
    question 1. your name
    question 2+2=?
    question 3 will you kill people for us

end of test..

16. evan2

evan2 Guest

not all officers have it easy, all the officers i encounter in my job are engineers becuase i work in engeering with them
    all noobie ones dont get any projects and end up working for someone like me
    becuase they are never around becuase once they get here they have to go to more officer training and when they come back they are still stupid and new
    plus they get tagged for stupid shit like this monitor and run this campaign.. plus they do work long hours compared to most of us

luckily all the officers ive come across are cool and never try to be like I out rank you so hahha.. if they did they would have another thing coming

but I had a brand new Lt working for me being my oh can you go to this meeting for me I Cant make it...
    it was great while it lasted, now I am in England with a squadron of 10military in CE.. one major and he is cool as shit.. going to play some poker at his house this weekend with the rest of our guys

17. kidhero

i scored a 98 asvab. 1475 sat score. in a top ranked california UC school doing electrical engineering and comp sci dual major. combat engineer. applying for law school next year and going to be a marine JAG. i became a marine because i didn't want to be a wannabe flyboy stuck in a chair. i'm a fucking united states marine. if you want to start shit you better first be able to put on a real set of cammies before mustering up the balls to say some shit.

18. Zourn

Well, I don't think he was nearly as serious as you are. :hsugh:

19. kidhero

blah blah marines are stupid blah blah.

darkphantom hates the marines<army bashing i hate the marines bashing

20. Zourn

Ok, but you coulda retaliated with the same style, not buck up like you're going to punch him in the throat. My $0.02

21. evan2

evan2 Guest

well if you guys were smart enough you would know not to diss your brother in arms in the first place
    i do believe one pilot can do far more damage then one marine could.. so call us all you wants but we dont run around doing pt all day
    we actually do a technical job, juggle pt, train for our war time tasks and what not
    we dont need to be given a gun and loads of pt to hurt anyone

when was the last time a us runway was attacked let me help you.. the 1950s
    air power owns.. if you want to hate on that then im sorry
    but if you want to talk shit about bein ga marine tell me how many times you have actually been in combat
    becuase i can tell you right now ive worked with countless people from other branches and talked to people that have actually been in combat and none said man i hate when i hear them af jets over head of us

plus who do you think gives you guys ISR info.. thats right the AF

people like you talkdown on us but know nothing about it, you are just another dumbshit marine.. sorry that you had good grades and made a bad choice..

holla

22. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:werd: to yer momma