Any Gymnasts?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by droogie, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droogie

droogie New Member

I've been lifting consistently for two years now. I'm weighing in at around 205 right now at 6'1". Just started training about a month ago in gymnastics after a couple years off. Gymnasts are jacked in terms of useful strength. I feel awesome in the weight room lifting heavier and heavier weights and it isn't til I train gymnastics that I see how little usable strength lifting provides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Yeah, because you never know when you'll have to spin around a stand, hold yourself by some rings, and execute multiple backflips, that shit is some useful strength my nigga.

6'1" 205 gymnast? :hsugh:

3. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

Why do you want to be a gymnast? Gymnastics is for girls, play foot ball. :confused: Or try something a little less gay like soccer.

4. ralyks

ralyks New Member

And you'll never know when you'll have to take 2 minutes to stretch and warmup for a ME squat to save someone's life, or repeatedly bring a heavy object repeatedly down on your chest that was perfectly placed. Gymnastics involve a ton of core and static-hold strength moves, most of which would probably put you to shame.

:ugh: Or maybe he can go all out gay and make a post like yours.

5. terse

terse New Member

yeah you're pretty damn big for a gymnast. what kind of strength moves can you do? my guess would be not much. i did gymnastics for a few months and it sucked cus i kept getting forearm splints (i was too heavy at 185-190) from constantly pounding my hands from doing flares

6. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

I used to do gymnastics a long time ago, but I got tired of the rips and tears I was always getting on my hands (I have unusually soft/weak skin, even now, I get rediculous callouses from lifting)

Elite gymnasts always have tremendous strength. As far as the whole "useable-strength" argument goes, its true if all you do is isolated exercises. You need to bring your muscles together with some full-body workouts before you see the overall capability increases that you see from a dynamic sport like gymnastics.

7. droogie

droogie New Member

I'm definitely too heavy to compete unless I lost around 20-25 lbs for sure, but at this point I'm definitely not limited by my strength.

8. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Useful when fighting crime.. or someone like the Hulk.

[​IMG]

9. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

10. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i love you timberwolf

11. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

the typical olympic gymnast is about 5'-5'4 and 130-140lbs you have no chance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.