MMA any guesses on De La Hoya (Golden Boy) being involved with MMA?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by adrenalin112, May 7, 2007.

1. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

ya know from a promoting standpoint?

he already associates with a number of MMA guys (for instance Roger Huerta) he helped him with his cardio and boxing training.

i'm not at all an oscar sackrider, but from a marketing standpoint he could do wonders for ufc/mma. He's a fighting icon, his name (and promoting company) would open up markets and paydays(that could rival boxing) to help the mma world close that gap even quicker on being a recognized sport that gets properly recognized.

2. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I think the differences between boxing and mma federations wouldn't allow him to bump paydays. However, his endorsement of the sport would do wonders in attracting new fans and stop a lot of the MMA = bare knuckle bar room brawling banter.

3. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

it would be interesting to see him fight MMA, and against who for that matter?

:dunno: i would want to see this, but i wouldn't be surprised that it wouldn't happen

4. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

More fans attracted = more tickets sold, more ppv's, more mma related gear, and larger sponsers = bigger paydays

5. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

could he have some success... YES.
    would he ever fight MMA. NO.

he just got more than $25mil for a sparring match.
    he could never get that kind of dough in MMA.

6. dengar

I understand that, but its not like boxing where they negotiate contract on a fight by fight basis. The way you worded it, it seemed like a fighter would be jumping in with Golden Boy and then make 5 mil for his next fight.

7. friedrice

friedrice New Member

I figure he actually needs to cross his company over to doing some MMA. Boxing is so slow right now it's the only smart move to make. He has trained with several MMA fighters, Huerta, Sanchez. So I think he is not far from playing with MMA.

8. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

the multi-fight contracts are also something that definitely need to be restructured for CERTAIN fighters. guys like liddell, crocop, fedor, rampage, etc... are commodities all their own and should be able to renegotiate on a per fight basis for bigger and better paydays as long as they hold their titles or keep winning.
    However on the flipside, the up & comers definitely need that multi-fight deal since ring time and exposure are of tremendous value during the early parts of their fight careers.

9. dengar

This is more of a possibility now after the merger. I still doubt it would happen, prior to that it was too risky to have a guy sign fight to fight, because you could have a champion threaten to leave for another federation to generate more money in order to stay.

I think as this sport grows the agents will get smarter and there will be more incentives and escalators in the contracts. That way when someone does something extraordinary or becomes a belt holder their contract will reward them accordingly.

10. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

whats wrong with somebody holding multiple belts? eventually fedor will be handed a bodog title, and maybe we'll be able to see him take a ufc title as well. he could defend them separately throughout the year.

11. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Because when fighters start making that much money per fight they don't want to fight as often, anymore.