Any GS 500 owners?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ChatChai, Oct 11, 2006.

1. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

A buddy of mine just called me up on his way to work and while riding his bike it started shaking severely and he exited and pulled over to check. He noticed some smoke and unscrewed his oil cap and smoke was coming out. He tried starting it again and it would not start.

His bike is new, 2006 GS500. He took it in for the 600 mile service and they told him not to bring it back until 4000mi. He has 3400 miles on it now and this happens. In reading I've heard that the GS500 is notorious for burning oil but this bad?

Well I'm on my way to pick him up and the bike but I thought I would throw this out to see if anybody else knows of or has had this same problem. The dealership and service guys are going to get a mouthfull today.

2. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Just have him take it back and fix it under warranty

3. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

Ok we just spoke to the shop. Without extensively looking in to it they said that it could possibly be that the engine has seized. They also said that the manual states to check your oil once a week and that if that is the case that the bike would NOT be covered under warranty.

What now? Anyone have any experience on this? I mean its a new bike and he was just following maintenance scheduling times and he did not even think to check his oil since it was new. It's not like when he bought it they told him the bike burns oil and he needs to check it every week otherwise I'm sure he would not have bought the bike.

Man he's bummed out. He is waiting for them to check it out, so we'll see what they find.

4. Cachee0

Fill it with oil and take it to the dealer Fuck that it's a new bike. If it's eating that much oil from new then it's fucked up

My Ducati with 10800 miles has not eaten a drop of oil. And Ducati's as they say are unrelaible.:hsugh:

5. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

Yeah its completely drained of oil...WTF. He is going to read his manual to be a bit more prepared when he fights it with them. I basically told him that, yes it may be common that the bike burns a bit of oil, but 3 quarts of oil in 2900 miles is ridiculous. Even if he topped it off every other week with one quart of oil that doesn't make sense that he would have to.

Man this seems like its going to be a mess considering the kind of answers he is getting from the dealer thus far.

6. Cachee0

It's simple he bought a new bike under warrenty it only has under 4K miles. Fill it with oil so the Dealer can't say there was no oil in it. Make them fix it by replacing the whole motor. They can't say fucking shit.

7. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

He did have oil in because that is what he attempted before taking it into the shop. The shop said that the oil does not even look like its have been run the engine and that it was way to clean and they he told him that he put it in there.

He commutes with the bike 90 miles roundtrip and they said the dealer said that is why the bike was burning oil because the bike was not intended to drive at such high speeds for that long of a period. Sounds like Bullshit to me. The way I see it is either the bike is defective for burning that much oil or the dealership did not put in enough oil at the 600mi and fucked up the bike.

8. Cachee0

Call Suzuki

9. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

call corporate, fuck that shit. It's a new bike, it shouldn't be burning that much oil, it's not a Ducati :mamoru:

10. oakie

oakie my ninja.

i've seen this happen to GS's alot... most recently someone on my group ride seized hers at the top of mt baker.

your friend is SOL on this one.

11. Cachee0

:fawk: My 916 and 748 have not lost a drop of oil yet Motherfucker:o

12. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

So she was not able to get it covered by Suzuki?