SRS any good ways to make money w/o college?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Jan 21, 2007.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I dropped out of college within a week of the semester starting. I am not going back..ever. I hate the education system way too much. I also hate being surrounded by so many people. So, i'm pretty much looking for ways to make money without getting an official "job". Like working for yourself. Anybody have any advice on what can be done? My friend buys damaged cars and fixes and eventaully sells them. He says he makes 1,000's a week but I think he's full of shit. One guy I know buys and sells shit on ebay, but he also works as a truck driver so I don't think ebay is making him much money.

2. AgGoNy

AgGoNy Active Member

learn a trade and work -

3. High Voltage

High Voltage Guest

i would suggest going back to college and sticking it out. the end return is much much greater.

if not, then i guess you can go to a dealership and sell cars

4. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

well... saying that your first semester you dropped out, I'm going to assume your 18...

In that sense... you're not going to make "$1000's" a week without any education. If you don't know anything, why shoudl people pay you to do something? Learn something that you can do that no one else can do... or no one else can do as good as you. Like... fixing out cars... making computers... fixing computers... taking old furniture and scrapping it... melting copper wire to sell the pure copper...

The easiest way to do this: Go to college.

5. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

It's still going to take time and effort to work your way up to making big money, whether you go to college or not. Going to college can give you more options.

If there was an easy way to make lots of money relatively quickly without going to school, wouldn't EVERYONE be doing it?

As others have said...get in a trade, start learning it, and work your way up.

And just out of curiosity....can you tell us how you have come to the conclusion that college in general isn't for you after just one week? It's generally a 2-4 year thing...I doubt one week is enough to judge it...

Was it the classes? The professors? The classmates?

Keep in mind there are other colleges out there to consider and such.

6. albasha

albasha New Member

sell drugs.
    or suck cock

7. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

There's always the military. But if I were you, I'd stick it out in college. Now is a VERY bad time to join the military, no matter what branch.

8. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

I would say ....

Start your own business. Go buy some books, such as "Think and grow rich" and see if that is something you would want to do. If so, then go do it. Fail, with at least 3 businesses, until you get it right. The rule of thumb here is that (in my opinion!) if you don't get sued, or threatened to get sued, you're not really in business.

Many successful business owners have little to no formal education. Most file bankruptcy at least three times before they succeed.

The real trick is to start a business that is profitable, that you DON'T have to work 14 hour days, and that has the opportunity for growth. What comes to mind right away is a lawn mowing service. If you offer low enough prices you can get a LOT of business.

Then after you have run your business for a while, THEN go take some *specific courses* at school about running a business. All of the sudden the classes WILL be worthwhile. :bigthumb:

9. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I already went for one semester. The first week of my second semester I dropped out. So i have experienced college a little, I hate it. The smug people, the motivation, bad jokes, formality, obedience, it sickens me. I can't find a place where I fit in.

what would I do with a million dollars? I would drink beer and work on cars. Not just cars, but trucks. I am into offroading, but I am slowly losing interest in it. I would also buy a lot of land. I would take an axe and go around chopping down trees, that is actually fun to me. It feels like I am really doing something.

What am I good at? Stealing. I have pretty much stolen everything that I wanted badly enough. For some reason I find it much harder to steal money. Therin lies my problem.

10. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

how hard is it to start a business in this country? Is it easier anywhere else?

11. 7960

7960 New Member

Know what, you're right. I took his 2nd post in a way differently than he probably meant it. The "had a million dollars" and stealing thing looked different when I read it last night. I'll delete my post and apologize but there's nothing I can do about the posts that quoted it.

And I agree with your other comment that college isn't for everyone. Hell, I dropped out of 3 before I found the one I wanted, but it really wasn't the college I was trying to find it was a major I was interested in. Once I figured that out I was all set.

Back on topic, mechanic, town/city parks dept (but it will require a degree to advance beyond "laborer"), telephone/cable company............. repo man? They all fit your interests.

12. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

im gonna raise the :bsflag:on this one. im 22 with 0 college experience at all. ive had several weeks where the minimum i earned per day was 900$. usually topping @1800$. largest paycheck i had this year was 10,500$ ive also had 9500 and 7500$ weeks. i made 92500$ from my place of employment (and another 10k recycling metals) this year and only worked 7 months. now alot of people will call bullshit, but ive posted paystubs in the past.

now how did i get this awesome job. i know people. thats all that matters. i came into this industry knowing how to whipe my own ass and thats about it. oh yeah in the 2 years ive been here, ive only had to be at work at a specific time for 8 days. i pretty much decide how long im going to work. and when im gonna start. yeah i may be lucky, but if you know people, thats all that matters

13. jonno

jonno New Member

sales

14. Kylar

Kylar Just call me Proper

OK, so what is it you do exactly?

15. whatever

whatever OT Supporter

This sounds more like you're confused about yourself or hiding from something. i dont mean to play Dr. phil on ya but figure that shit out before you make these choices up.

16. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I would also like to know.

17. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

i work in Telecomm