MMA Any good routines to increase flexibility?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by iCEgECKO, Nov 11, 2009.

1. iCEgECKO

iCEgECKO Ballin' at 5'2''

Whats the best way to stretch?
    The only time I do it is after training.

2. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

yoga

other than that I just know the more you do it the better your flexibility :dunno:

3. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

doesn't bravo suggests sitting in the lotus position whenever you're idle, like watching TV, on your computer, etc. to slowly build the flexibility in your legs?

4. Drummer161616

Drummer161616 New Member

Yoga, preferably Hatha style that has emphasis on seated postures and holding a stretch. Asana Vinyasa would be a good set of exercises.

Use a 4" PVC pipe to "foam" roll on for your quads, calves and IT bands. That really will get you loose.

And because I'm a nice lurker:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_...g_performance_repair/feel_better_for_10_bucks

The best one imo:

http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/flx3

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_...ce_repair/cracking_the_rotator_cuff_conundrum

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_...formance_repair/pushups_face_pulls_and_shrugs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgxr6xAB5ZM&feature=PlayList&p=D816703ABECA342A&index=12

5. kroneX

kroneX New Member

flexibility shouldn't be something you build a bjj game around. I am mighty flexible but hardly use it at all, simply because if royler, garcia, riberio don't need it. neither do i

6. iCEgECKO

iCEgECKO Ballin' at 5'2''

I wasn't necessarily thinking for bjj, but in my MT class we were doing a leg catch to cross combo and i finished it off with a head kick on a guy who was 5'10'', I've never thought to throw a head kick because I'm pretty short but that gave me some confidence and I figure I can do more things if my flexibility wasnt hindering me.

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

being able to throw a head kick has little to do with flexibility and a lot to do with ployometrics.

I'm 5'10", I have impingement in both hips to an extreme degree and i can still throw headkicks.

Best advice I got was from a friend who fights professionally and coaches full time, he said he never has time to stretch, but everytime he kicks the bag he tries to kick it a little higher than the last time.

8. ilduce

ilduce New Member

I know it certainly doesnt help Bj Penn at all.:ugh:

It wont make you a world champ but it can help.

9. kroneX

kroneX New Member

If you watch BJ penns mundial fights you will see that he does not use his flexibility all that much, but I am guessing you have not watched them...

10. teep

teep New Member

this

11. ilduce

ilduce New Member

perhaps we are splitting hairs but he is without question flexible and it does help his game. Look at his fights in the UFC where he wraps his legs around a guys arms and upper torso when doing a RNC. He also uses it to avoid takedowns all the time. I believe the better term is mobile as opposed to flexible but you get my point.

12. PcH

PcH Guest

Holy hell, IFL :bowdown:

13. kazimer

kazimer New Member

in for later as well

I typically lurk this sub-forum, however I don't see what the harm in stretching would be.

I grew up as a gymnast and then evolved into a football player, wrestler, martial artist, a rower and now an endurance athlete. In each sport I have found that increased flexibility helped out my overall balance and increased my ability to benefit form plyometric movements.

I only know what works for me and I have no personal medical data or research to back my claims.

I mainly used the stretches learned in gynmnastics, now I want to get into yoga and pilates

14. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

This is actually really important for the chronic tight in the hip people. I suffer from Iliotibial band syndrome, very bad. I have to do these rolls for PT and they are the most painful god damn exercises, but once you're done, your legs feel like a million bucks.

15. watagatapitusberry

watagatapitusberry OT Supporter

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html

scroll down to the section that says Agile Eight

dynamic mobility is the mobility you're probably looking for. checkii referenced it when he said to kick the bag higher each time. you can google for more stuff. if you go to F&N, you can probably find someone with a copy of Magnificent Mobility, one of the best stretching DVDs out there.

16. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

. magnificent mobility ftw

17. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

didnt royler get beat by bravo because of it. Being flexible isnt something you need but it is extremly helpful. Its just another tool like conditioning and weight traing. It isnt going to make you a better grappler alone but if you have it, it will allow you to get more out of the stuff you already have.

18. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Eddie bravo did not catch royler our with super flexibility, if you observe the submission step by step you see that any person of average flexibility could pull of the submission that eddie did.

agreed flexibility does help (to a small degree, it will not make or break your fighting style) but it plays such a minor roll in bjj that your time would be better spent working on your cardio rather than streching.

19. teep

teep New Member

no one said that it will make or break your game, only that it will help. you also don't seem to understand that flexibility and stretching has more subtle benefits as well in how you feel and injury prevention.

20. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

you are misunderstanding or your stubborn. No one said it would make or break if you read my previous post I said technique is the most important thing but things like flexibility and conditioning are things that will help you get the most out of your technique. Im sorry but some people are born with a limited range of motion.

When I first started jiu jitsu and grappeling in general I really didnt have good hip flexibility and I was not getting the most out of the technique because of it. My instructor taught me some good stretches to loosen up my hips before class some that were a little more intensive and as a result I noticed an improvement in my offensive guard particularly for arm bars.

Also sport specific stretches and ballistic stretches really help guys out that train a lot. Some of these sport oriented stretches are made for people to deal with injuries.

I had a knee injury so I warm up my knees a lot more and I do more range of motion excercises for my knees then most people. It helps me prevent injury and helps me get full range of motion out of an other wise limited joint. Im sorry but you can be stubborn all you want the advantages of flexibility and stretching are there and they are not deniable.

Will it make you a phenom alone?
    no

can you develop a bjj game around conditioning and flexibility?
    yeah some people do but if thats the primary basis of your game then you will be easy to figure out, predictable and you will plateau at a certain level.

Eddie bravo is a excellent example of this. I have read his 10th planet bjj and rubber guard book and he is a phenomenal grappler that is extremely flexible. His flexibility isnt what made him good and it isnt what made him beat royler. What makes him good is that he has a very methodical bjj game and he was very meticulous with his training and how he rolls. He has good combinations, feeling and response as well as some good techniques.

He is on the same level as royler and most of these elite grapplers are at the same level. When you are competing with people at your level and the skill is about even its no longer the technique that makes a difference so much as your preperations combined with the technique and how the preperation and technique compliment each other.

When facing a equally talented grappler if you are more flexible or well conditioned, you still might lose. How ever if you are a more flexible and or well conditioned grappler and you know how to use the flexibility and conditioning to compliment your technique you will have a clear advantage. It will make your chances of winning that much higher.

Like I said its about adding more weapons to your arsenal. You can invade a small island and know you can take it with 1000 ground troops but if you have the option to throw a tank or two in there to help out youd be an idiot not to.

21. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Further more BJJ is a game of inches. The farther away you are from ideal distancing the easier it is for your opponent to escape a submission or pin. I learned this the hard way working on my arm bars. If your off by a few inches the ammount of force you need to finish a sub is much more then if you were dead on. Flexibility gives you a lot more room to play with to create or close distance.

Seriously some of us have been training for awhile and have encountered the super flexible kid. Yeah you might land a sub on him but if your at the same level it can be extremly frustrating and it can throw your game off when you have done the same arm bar hundreads of times and it worked fine and on this one guy you cant land it because he is much squirmier then others.

22. ZZex

ZZex New Member

I find myself pretty flexible but I don't rely on it all the time. Someone with great technique can dominate my gumby body.

23. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

without a doubt the best reason to stretch consistently.

24. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I used to get injured a lot because i didnt like the stretch. I would come to class a little late so I wouldnt have to warm up and stretch and I would keep getting muscle cramps and injuries and getting super sore and didnt know why. Then I started getting real into stretching when I pulled my groin. I noticed a huge decrease in injuries.

25. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

cal ripken jr. stretched for hours before and after games and practices, which he probably can help attribute to his consecutive game record

i forgot who, but some pitcher did pilates and swore by it