Any good reason not to be using Cached Exchange Mode?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

I dont really see any, but maybe Im missing something?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Saves disk space if you turn it off. That's about it.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You also can't read your email unless you're connected to the email server, if you don't use Cached Mode. Which means anyone with a laptop will want to kill you after about the second business trip where they have to find an internet connection before they can dig up something the customer sent them weeks ago.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

There is one and it's if you're using BES as well. But the problems are so minor (read email not being reflected), it's not even worth thinking about.

5. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

There is another tiny detail, involving the Offline Address book. If you're in cached mode, and go to look in your address book, it may say you're looking at the Global Address List - but you're not. You looking at the Offline Address Book. If you hit the advanced search, however, you then search the GAL.

Why does this matter? The OAB is usually only rebuilt every night. If you make a change (like adding a new account), it won't show up for cached clients until the next day, unless they go to advanced search.

I know it sounds like a stupid detail that shouldn't matter (come on, one more click), but we've had users bitch about less.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

Would running in non-cached mode in Outlook 2007 improve performance on a slow (1.5 P4, 512 RAM) machine? Im thinking there would be less disk seeking :dunno: