Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rubberducky, Oct 16, 2008.
I really like the storm but those fuckers are only releasing it for Verizon.
iPhone? i've got it and it seems fine so far.
- app store is great. yeah, it could be better, but i've used Blackberries for years and maybe downloaded 2 apps total.
- if you're going to an all touch-screen phone, the iPhone has a great interface. i do miss buttons for dialing and using as a phone, but i'd get that with any touch screen phone. so, that would be the same with the Storm.
- web browser is very nice. i think i may like OperaMini 4 slightly better, but Safari is about 1000x better than the built in Blackberry browser.
- camera works well for a phone. if i want to take great pics, i'll carry a camera with me. wish it had video, but i haven't used many phones with video capabilities. i know my Blackberry Pearl didn't have it.
- email and chat work great.
- location based services using GPS is great. for example, AroundMe is an awesome app for finding restaurants, gas stations, hospitals and stuff around you and Movies is a great app for finding movie schedules near you. turn-by-turn would be nice, but i have a TomTom for that.
- apps can't run in background. so, if you switch away they just stop. i liked that with OperaMini 4 on my Blackbery 8703e i could start downloading a page that might take a while and then switch to something else like checking email. when i came back it would be done. not so with the iPhone.
- lack of copy/paste is a pain in the nuts when you want to send a link to someone or copy some text into an email or for posting on a forum. but, this was an issue with OperaMini as well. the Blackberry browser had it, but it sucked so bad this was one of the limited things they did right.
- the OS still isn't 100%. typing is still laggy at times and Safari will crash periodically. it isn't terrible, but it can be frustrating.
- can't receive MMS. this isn't a huge deal for me since the only one who will send me pics is my wife and i set her phone up to send over email. also, sending MMS is easily worked around by using the info in this thread: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3959811
- can't tether (well, without jailbreak and without AT&T's permission). doesn't affect me, but i know many people would want the option. i can always tether through my work Blackberry.
the cost is very comparable to any other current smart phone. i compared for a while and the price of the phone as well as the plans involved aren't bad.
if the iPhone isn't your cup of tea, i don't know any other current phones to compare. the iPhone comparison is the no-brainer since they are both full touch screen interfaces.
I'm still happy with my Blackberry 8820.
htc fuze, iphone killer.
iPhone is the best phone out, and it's only on AT&T. Bingo.
Im sorrry but the iphone is homosexual, i'd take my pearl over it anyday
i owned a pearl before my iphone and the two are incomparable. they aren't even in the same ballpark. i did like having actual buttons and this is what kept me from getting the iPhone for quite a while. i also liked the regular phone key setup on the Pearl so it made dialing a phone number much easier and the typing was picked up quite easily. but all the Pearl had going for it was email and phone and while i got used to typing on it, i wouldn't write a full email. web browsing sucks with the BB browser, no GPS and apps are few and far between. so, all of the things that make it a smart phone sucked.
oh, and by the by, i got way more comments about carrying a woman's phone with the Pearl than i've gotten with the iPhone.
The tilt was great, the fuze is about eleventy times better.
of all the phones out there to compare you pick the most homosexual one available
never heard of At&A
Both still suffer from WinMO lag though...
that is true, but with sites like xda developers u can change the rom of ur phone even with winMO and still have a fast phone. The programmers at xda are really good and my tilt is faster than it used to be.
edit: Also i played around with the bold and holy crap i want it. screen + os is ridiculously nice. I'm waiting on a job with AT&T and if i hopefully get it with this shitty recession, im definitily upgrading to the bold.
Oh I was an avid XDA user...checking it daily for new ROMs when I had my old Tilt/Kaiser. Wish there was the same kind of UI tweaking for the iPhone but I can deal with it.
ive used almost all of them and n95 8gig still my favorite and still my everyday phone.