any good in doing a board press?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by XsLiCk, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XsLiCk

XsLiCk New Member

Ive seen people off of post for someone's program on what to do starting out in the gym and they suggested doing board bench pressing? what good if any good does this do because ive heard negative things about doing it...

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Umm what exactly can be bad about it? It's a great way for building triceps and lockout strength in addition to letting your body get used to handling heavier loads. If you have injured shoulders you can use it to reduce shoulder involvement.

3. XsLiCk

XsLiCk New Member

i didnt know what could be bad about it, all i know is that most people considered it to be cheating... but useful info... thanks man

4. Chalkitup

Chalkitup New Member

If you only bp with dbs should you floor press with dbs too? I'll try it tonight and see how it goes.

5. Ceaze

do you workout at home or something

6. Chalkitup

Chalkitup New Member

No, I train in a gym that has no boards and I don't bother with spotters because finding a good one amongst the boneheads is like winning lotto. I assume your asking because I only use dbs correct?

7. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Most gyms have no boards, I went to home depot and got mine for like 5 bucks.

8. Chalkitup

Chalkitup New Member

I could easily do that but with no spotter I'd be holding back anyway. Am I missing out doing floor press instead of boards? I'm happy doing dbs since I'm not PLing.

9. Ceaze

you don't have to have a spotter to use a barbell....

10. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I've been getting random guys in the gym to spot me for several years now (although by now I know most of them so they're not quite "random" but you get the point).

I've also given more people spots than I can remember. Don't worry about it. If you're worried about them just inform them of how you'd like to be spotted ahead of time.

11. Chalkitup

Chalkitup New Member

You guys don't like db bench? I found that sticking to dbs allowed me to be more consistent and I could lift what I wanted without having to hold back because I might get pinned or getting a free ride cos the tosser thought the bar slowed down a touch. I get plenty out of the dbs anyway, probably pushing around 90s for my 5x5 and I'm only 178lbs @5'10 or so. edit: this isn't to brag or anything, I know those numbers aren't anything special just saying I'm not bouncing around 5 pounders on a swiss ball ;)

For me, the confidence of having a spotter that I can trust adds around 45lbs to my bench. Doubting myself just takes the focus off my form :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.