MMA Any good boxing/standup fighting websites/web communities/forums?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by joonboy, Dec 11, 2006.

1. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

I've got a heavy bag, gloves, and wraps and would like to begin training by myself

2. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

Just found sherdog website's forum.. i'm looking under standup technique now

anyone got any others?

3. teep

teep New Member

Sherdog can be ok. This place is actually useful too.

Honestly, I'd say get yourself to a boxing gym and train there first. You can watch and read all the instructionals you want, but just wailing on the heavy bag yourself with no previous training will only develop bad habbits. Once you've trained for a little while under a good coach thats when self training can really be effective. Of course thats only if you actually want to learn to box. Boxing really isn't something that can be self taught. If its just for fun, screwing around, or just for exercise just hit it till you're tired I guess. If you want you can do rounds of jump rope, shadow boxing, and bag with plyos or other exercises in between.

4. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

If your serious about doing it yourself and don't want to find a gym like suggested above. I suggest finding the Bas Rutten training tapes.

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I agree with the above dudes... Find a gym.

I took boxing classes for a long time as a younger teenager, but my Muay Thai is taught to me only by my friend who has been doing it for a few years at a local training place. My strikes are good and form is good, but as far as coaching in sparring goes I have nothing, and therefore suck at MT and would never put it to any real use or else unless for fun/sparring. I'm going to start taking classes in january now that (when finals are over after next week) i will have more free time to work and pay for classes. I'm actually contemplating taking wrestling/BJJ instead of MT though, just to expand my horizons... my boxing is still really good (and I'm cocky about it obviously) and basic kicks/knees are enough for the time being.

Boxing is equally important to be coached in.

6. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

i'm prob not gonna get to a boxing gym so what should i do at home?

7. teep

teep New Member

Watch alot of fights and instructionals. That will help you get started, but it won't get you very far at all. Just hit the bag however you want and have fun. Punches, knees, flying spin kicks...whatever floats your boat really...doesn't really matter.

Edit: If you want it to make it actually seem like training you can time rounds and do exercises in between. Personally, when I work the bag I like to work on specific things first whether its certain combos, just concentrating on power, set ups, steps, etc.

8. pereza

pereza OT Supporter

Try rossboxing.com

9. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

give up now

10. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Depends on what your goals are... If you just want to do it as a way to have fun while getting into shape (and releasing pent up aggression), then just get an instructional dvd or book and start wailing... If you plan on becoming a serious fighter, then you need to find a good gym to train at... There are lots of aspects of boxing that you just can't learn on your own...

11. Stan2

Stan2 New Member

I'm a member at Saddo boxing forum. You should join, its quite a vibrant board.