LGBT Any gay Republicans on OT?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by m3 bavaria, May 3, 2008.

1. m3 bavaria

m3 bavaria Come again?

I ask, simply because I've always felt that the GOP's platform was anti-gay. Last night, I met not 1, but 3 gay Republicans who claimed it wasn't anti-gay, which shocked me.

So, anyone on OT that's gay and a Republican? I'm curious to know your take.

2. philvia

philvia SUCKIN ON MY TITTIES LIKE YOU WANTIN ME CALLIN ME

thats an oxymoron

3. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

Yeah, the Democrats are pro gay. Name one of the top democrat pres candidates that supported gay marriage? Also let's not for get that it was democrat president clinton that signed into law the two most anti gay pieces of legislation, the dont ask dont tell policy, and the defense of marriage act which basicly defines marriage as between a man and a woman. These people only parade around a pretend to care about gay right without actually taking a stand on the issue. If any of you think that by voting democrat over republican somehow gay rights will get better, your wrong. The two bozos left sure dont support it:

Hiliary's position: http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Hillary_Clinton_Civil_Rights.htm#Gay_Rights

Barracks Position:
    http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Barack_Obama_Civil_Rights.htm#Gay_Rights

4. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

:rofl: :rofl:

wtf, I love how you throw in every gay slur in there queer, fag, gays, homos

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  5. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

:rofl:

6. Sckrewy

Sckrewy New Member

Does Bisexual Republican count?

7. Elusid

Elusid New Member

. that's what I thought as soon as I read the topic

8. elevator

elevator The tenants think it's wonderful! ヽ(´ OT Supporter

financials conservative, social issue liberal here

9. m3 bavaria

m3 bavaria Come again?

So would you consider yourself to be libertarian?

10. m3 bavaria

m3 bavaria Come again?

I understand, and that point was made the other night as well. Notice that I never claimed the DNP was pro-gay, just that the GOP was anti-gay.

However, isn't there a difference between supporting civil unions (which still aren't equal rights), and going out of your way to create a discriminatory "defence of marriage act"?

Those of you who are fiscally conservative, do you just bite the bullett and vote for the GOP?

11. Sckrewy

Sckrewy New Member

Yes. The health care ideas being thrown around by the Dems are irresponsible. The idea of either one in charge of our military is frightening. I'd take Condeleeza Rice over all three in a heart beat.

12. blaq19

blaq19 New Member

13. dallasfan824

dallasfan824 New Member

I am one.

14. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

republicans havent been "fiscal conservatives" for a long time now. voting republican gets you:

1. Outrageous deficit spending, not fiscal conservatism. trickle-down economics DOES NOT WORK. corporations dont hire new people because of tax cuts; they pocket the fucking money and pay their CEO's and other administration outrageous bonuses and salaries. ExxonMobil making 13 billion in NET REVENUE in one quarter, anyone? Who's financing all this debt? You, me, future generations, and most of all, China, who's going to one day dump all these US bonds they have saved up and tank the US dollar overnight. Wait until oil is over 200 a barrel and the developing world is fighting us for it. In the event that you watch fox news all day and dont know how the power structures in the world are changing, feel free to read about the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, which is pretty much going to own us over the next 20 years. The unipolar world we've enjoyed since the soviet union collapsed no longer exists. Having the people who we're going to be competing with for energy finance our debt is going to end in disaster.

2. Social conservative bullshit. intelligent design, the degredation of science and critical thinking skills in our schools ("dont think; God made everything"), the US becoming intellectually bankrupt - we dont invest in primary science and research (stem cell research??). republicans will not rest until they can control everything the population does, all the way into your bedroom. Fundamentalist Christianity has permanently tainted the republican party, and this mix of religion and government will never lead to any semblance of democracy for anyone - especially homosexuals.

3. No comprehensive energy policy. McCain's solution to our energy crisis? "France gets 80% of their energy from nuclear, why cant we?" Simple - we use a fucking asston of energy, dumbass. We already produce more nuclear energy than France... and it only accounts for 20% of the US energy production. We'd have to build 700 new nuclear plants to get up to 80%, and we havent even discussed what to do with the tons of highly radioactive nuclear waste that wont be safe for hundreds of thoudands of years. See this article.

4. Healthcare? If you've spent any time working in an ER, you'd know that healthcare is completely fucked and costs an insane amount more than it should. The ONLY way to provide healthcare at any reasonable cost to the population is to nationalize it... period. The free market will not take care of people who cannot pay, and the costs of not having a proper healthcare system are way, way higher than overhauling the whole thing and paying for proactive healthcare for those who cant afford it... instead of waiting for uninsured Mr. Jones' diabetes to get so bad that his legs have to be amputated and he needs a year of physical therapy - all on our dime (at least $60k in medical bills) - lets pay for him to go see a fucking doctor and get his sugar under control. The math isnt complicated.

5. Foriegn Policy - John McCain doesnt even know the difference between Sunni's and Shi'ites, and his complete lack of understanding of the complex political dynamics in the middle east will end in disaster, taking the US economy and all of us with it.

Voting for the republican party because you are fiscally conservative is retarded. If you want lower taxes, look at where your money is going... over 60% to the DoD, and most of the rest to corporate tax breaks, agribusiness subsidies (corn?? take a look at any food item in your house, and it probably has corn in it, and now they water down your overpriced gas with corn-based ethanol as well, which gives you LESS MPG), and thus the rich are getting richer. Money isnt going into healthcare, education, basic science research, basic infrastructure, or subsidies for renewable energy. The middle class is being abolished, and the last 8 years have set this country back 20 years or more, pretty much any way you cut it. For the cost of the Iraq war (now estimated at $1 trillion, if you're counting), we could have been well on the way to energy independance. But, obviously, the military industrial complex that runs this country (our VP was VP of the biggest private contractor in Iraq) would have made no money from that.

On top of all of it, and what bothers me the most, is that these people fucking hate us. Its not a point that can be debated; its fact. I dont understand how any self-respecting gay american can vote for John McCain and be ok with it. Or maybe voting for someone whose close advisor thinks Katrina happened because of a gay pride parade is some form of self-flagellation for log cabin republicans; i dunno.

I dont get people who believe that in these complex times, with all the new, modern, never-before-seen issues we face, electing the oldest president ever is a good idea.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  15. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

you "fiscally conservative" republicans are libertarians, and you just dont know it.

16. zortnac

zortnac New Member

Any gay republican that thinks the republican party isn't anti-gay has been spending too much time in his or her log cabin.

17. dallasfan824

dallasfan824 New Member

And any democrat that blindly follows the party thinking they care doesnt pay attention.

18. dallasfan824

dallasfan824 New Member

Given what we have to choose from, its where my vote is going. Not that it matters being that I live in CA.

19. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I'm sure there are some.... just like there are probably some republican abortion clinic owners... or republican environmentalists.

20. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...we have a couple. Most don't post as frequently, but they are here.

21. novo

novo Pokey Man OT Supporter

22. zortnac

zortnac New Member

The democratic party, as a whole, as been too afraid/slow/apathetic to address LGBT issues. There are exceptions of course, such as opposition to the FMA and support for the ENDA (Despite its flaws).

However, I'd say it's obvious that there's a huge difference between a party that's apathetic towards LGBT issues, and a party that's deliberately anti-gay.

They support same-sex marriage bans, both state and federal.
    They oppose passage of anti-discrimination legislation.
    They opposed the legalization of anti-sodomy laws.
    They oppose the lifting of DADT.
    They oppose adoption by same-sex couples.
    Their party has, for the last couple of decades, been defined by the religious right.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  23. dallasfan824

dallasfan824 New Member

I dont think there is a huge difference between the two. And I dont see democrats as apathetic. I see them as every bit anti gay as republicans, if you want to call it anti gay.

Just as many "liberal" states passed DOMA or similar laws as GOP ones. Even in Oregon and Washington state. It was clinton that introduced DOMA and Dont Ask Dont Tell.

The democrats are just able to put a better spin on it. And since gays are often times liberals, they just accept it.

24. zortnac

zortnac New Member

There's no comparison. Examine the voting records of each party's elected officials and you'll see a difference of night and day. More over, each party hosts different extremes. Only in the democratic party do you see party members who are undeniably progressive and supportive of pro-LGBT legislation, and only in the republican party do you see virulently anti-gay bigots like Sally Kern, Sam Brownback, Marilyn Musgrave, former senator Rick Santorum, Orin Hatch, etc etc.

Example: promoting legislation to ban gay-straight alliance clubs in your state's high schools is uniquely a republican phenomena.

25. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

umm, no. DOMA is a federal law, and while I don't agree with it, it served a purpose. At the time, a few states were poised to legalize same-sex marriage or civil unions, and a whole bunch of other more conservative states were poised to introduce amendments to their state constitutions banning gay marriage as a result. DOMA protected those states who wished to allow same-sex marriage and while at the same time removing the need for conservative states to legislate the issue, which would have taken probably 50 years to roll back. If DOMA hadnt passed, we would have 2 or 3 states with legal same-sex marriage, and most if not all of the red states would have either legislation or constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriage and the recognition of out-of-state same-sex marriages.