Any Gals have any experience with IUDs?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by midori-kiri, Mar 9, 2006.

1. midori-kiri

midori-kiri New Member

I'm going to see my doctor today regarding birth control options. Since I know that I'm really flakey with taking daily meds, I'm considering the patch or IUD. I really think the copper IUD is best for me, but I haven't heard from anyone who has actually had one. I hear it's really effective, which is a plus.

I fit the req's for both the IUD and the patch, but I'd like to hear what you girls have experienced. Thanks so much.

2. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Patch is good. (wife used it). worked great for the 8 or so months she was on it. No issues at all :) (except when we didn't replace it with in the week... but oh well. We were trying anyway :))

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Do you have any children? Are you willing to accept the risks that are associated with an IUD?
    I personally had one for 6 years and I loved it. I had very few problems with it until the very end. I also had the copper one. Mine slipped out of place though, and had to be removed. I will definetly be getting another one put in after we have our baby (hopefully within the next 2 years or so). It just didn't make sense to have one put in for such a short period of time.
    I am on my third week with the patch right now, and I really like it. It doesn't have the same effects on me as the pill did (sore breasts, breakthrough bleeding etc).

4. midori-kiri

midori-kiri New Member

infertility is no problem for me, and no, I have no kids. I've heard that some people feel weird for a day when they put on the new patch...any problems so far.
    Thanks so much for letting me know about your experiences.

5. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I haven't experienced any weird feelings when I put on a new patch. The only problem I have had with the patch yet was choosing the wrong place to put it the first week and having to take it down with medical tape to prevent it from sticking to my underwear :o :mamoru: . It works fine on the shoulders/upper back though.

Can I ask how old you are? Do you think right now that you never want children?

6. lauren

lauren Active Member

how much did the iud cost? why wont docs give it to you ive you havent had kids? does it just get checked at your yearly or what?

if you dont have regular periods, does it make you have one every month? any direct effect to the cervix?

im thinking i might do this :dunno:

7. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

The IUD is actually implanted in your uterous, so there shouldn't really be any contact or effect to the cervix (unless of course yours slips down into your cervix like mine did, then there is potential irritation to the cervix and perforation to the uterous).
    My IUD cost me a $10 co-pay. I think they cost around $500 or so at Planned Parenthood. Some insurance companies pay for the insertion but not the removal, some don't pay for them at all etc.
    There is an increased risk of infertility with an IUD. This is because you have an increased risk of getting PID (pelvic inflammatory disease). I have also heard that it is easier to insert one in a woman who has already had a child. There ARE doctors who will insert them in women who haven't had children though, you just need to check around.
    You check the string yourself monthly (there will be a 'string' that hangs out of your cervix- hubby was never able to feel it during intercourse in case you're wondering). Your doctor will also check it at your yearly physical.
    There are two different types of IUDs, a copper IUD (good for 10 years) and a hormone based IUD (good for 5 years).
    I honestly don't know what effect it will have on your period if you don't get one regularly. I do know that a lot of women who have IUDs will eventually not get a period anymore while they have them in. I wasn't lucky enough to have this happen to me though.
    I miss mine terribly. This hormonal BC is for the birds.

8. lauren

lauren Active Member

yeah, been reading up more on them. i dont think a doc will give me one... :hsugh: its worth a shot htough. ill go in next week and talk to someone.

im having a hell of a time figuring out what bc to get on. ive been going without for so long, im kinda spoiled... but i know the guy would be more comfortable if i was on something :hs:

but, if anyones interested, http://www.archfoundation.com provides financial support for iuds.

9. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

It took a LOT of convincing for me to have my doctor put it in (I was only 17 an unmarried yet). My suggestion is go in well prepared (know the facts and exactly what you want). Make sure they understand you know and accept the risks associated with them.
    I will definetly be saving that site for in the future. Our current insurance company does not cover IUDs at all.
    I understand how you feel about BC, I've been having a hell of a time finding something that isn't really screwing up my body. I've been tempted to just go off BC all together, but I just can't accept the risk that comes with that.
    Oh- I forgot to mention another thing doctors look at is whether or not you are in a commited relationship, engaged or married. It is kind of like the children thing, they'd prefer you to already be married. If you're in a commited relationship you have less of a chance of getting an STD that could leave you sterile.
    Good luck if that's the route you decide to go!

10. lauren

lauren Active Member

well, i dont want something i can feel, or that will iritate me, or that will cause me to gain weight or have regular periods. that sort of limits things :o

:dunno:

11. midori-kiri

midori-kiri New Member

I am nineteen, but the infertility does not bug me because of my family history...Dad was an alcoholic, I was diagnosed with OCD and Depression at a young age (symptom-free for 5 years now). I know if I do decide to have children, it will be a risk. And having OCD, no matter how few symptoms you have, you still tend to worry about the future a lot; I worry about bringing a kid into this.

Cost isn't really a problem for me, because of good insurance as well.

03 white ZX3...Were there any problems during the insertion procedure and the next few months after that, if I may ask? What you're telling me is really helping.

12. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Insertion isn't exactly comfortable. They usually do it during your period and it is painful (so is removal), but other than that no there weren't any problems.