Any front display projector folk in here?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cypha12, Oct 29, 2002.

1. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

I'm thinking of buying a front display projector and would like some advice. Whats the difference between a DLP/LCD/CRT projector? Which is best? Whats a lumen? Whats the best for under $5k?

2. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

CRT = Cathode Ray Tube, similar to the tube-type televisions most of us have

Lumen = unit of light, ie Luminescence, higher Lumen = brighter lamp

Some great information, comparissons, and prices here

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home.cfm

3. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

crt=best picture but very finicky. more for hobbyist. very expensive (15-40k new)but you can buy used with decent/new tubes for 1/5 th the original price. Higher end models are only projectors capable of the highest resolutions available.

check out www.crtcinema.com for a very good source for excellent projectors.

dlp=excellent picture. newer technology. excellent colors. black level not as good as crt. 4:3 models can be had for $3000. good 16:9 models that can do hdtv can be had for about $7000 new.

LCD=pretty good picture, imho. Older technology. To me, too much "screendoor" effect. black levels also a weakness.

d-ila=up and coming format. but way too expensive and loud still

As a owner of a crt, I love my Barco 1208. But it's definitely not plug and play and is the size of a small tank. But the picture is amazing. Mid-higher end crt's need very very good light controlled rooms, a video processor, and a lot of room.

LCD/DLP is the wave of the future. Very very plug and play. Small in size, easy to setup, brighter, easy to install onto the ceiling and pretty good picture. Get a $200 dvd player and make your own screen and get a huge picture for under $4000 sans audio equipment. For upper end I'd recommend the Sharp 9000 Dlp for about $8000 (was a $1000 a month ago avail but don't know if still around) or for a decent start the Piano Plus at $3200 (www.plushometheater.com).

Best place to go to learn about projectors

www.avsforums.com

Oh btw, check www.audiogon.com and you can get the Japanese version of the Sharp 9000 for $5000, but you'll have to have the cajones to import it.

Andy