MIL Any flight engineers here? 1A1X1

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by liberals=whiner, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Im currently a 2A5X1 and am in my re-train window. I would like to get a enlisted aviator job. My last 2 requests for 1A0X1 have been denied and am now thinking about an FE slot. I have 5 years experience on C-130s.

Im looking for someone to talk to about this career field, preferable someone that will give me honest straight forward answers about what they like about the job, what they dont like. Maybe a run down of their normal day. I would also like to know what the job really entails. Also are you married? how well has your family life survived?

If you dont want to post answers to this, please just pm me. I dont want to walk blindly into this job.

TIA guys

2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

What's a Flight Engineer?? jk, I'm a Loadsmasher on C-130J's, so we're pretty much FE's since we don't have them anymore. I pretty much fly up in the front most of the time unless you're doing airdrops or have pax in the rear, and during your routine checks. I have very few flight hours with a crew that included a flight engineer.

When flying, your day starts off by doing your preflight inspection. Make sure your plane is fueled and properly balanced. You assist (make sure the pilots are not doing anything stupid) the pilots, navigator, and loadmaster in the rear if they need help. If you're not doing any of those thing, you're reading the paper (sudoku), the latest maxim/stuff mag, or making meals. Travel is my favorite part of the job. Stay at nice hotels on the govt's tab. If you do get base quarters, most of the time you'll get officer's billeting.

3. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

The Flight Engineer career is dying.

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Still needed on the Osprey.

5. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

:werd:

Marine Corps calls those guys Crew Chiefs. I don't know why the USAF call those maintenance guys "Crew Chiefs" when they're not even part of the crew, much less fly.

But yeah, FE's are a thing of the past. Even navigators are going away too. C-130J crew is now down to a 3 man crew, 2 pilots and a loadmaster. All being replaced by computers.

6. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

:werd: C-17 is 2 pilots and a load, C-130J are the same, and the new KC-45 will have 2 pilots, load/boom operator. so the planes that are left are the C-5, KC-135 which are going to be replaced, and the older C-130 models. The Flight Engineer in the military and the civilian world is a dead end.

7. thanks for the info guys but I can almost guarantee that the Fe position will be around for a bit (atleast on one aircraft) I was looking to talk to someone thats actually in the field. Just to see if its something I would want. I will NOT turn a wrench the rest of my career.

FE is one of the few jobs I can cross train into right now that interest me.

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

How about Loadmaster?

9. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

Loadmaser is the AFSC that got me interested in joining the military. I haven't joined yet but looking to if my 2 other job opportunities don't happen.

Should I tell the recruiter I want to be a load or I'll go somewhere else? I know another load and was told your short manned.

10. Jbeanz

Jbeanz OT Supporter

Marine corps is getting rid of crew cheif's on J's ?.. How is that possible ?

11. maybe for other career fields, but I heard that 2A's are (for the time being) only allowed to do FE :dunno:, along with SERE, Combat Control and another one (maybe it was FE)

Plus I dont want to deal with pax, and the whole cargo thing

12. IIRC it doesnt have a slot for them. Everything is monitored by computer so the spot isnt needed

13. Isamu

Isamu New Member

If you want some FE info, ask around at the 79th, or 755th.... there all over

14. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

KC-10's have FE's too

15. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

What is this about 2As and limited cross trains?!? I'm months from my window.:noes:

16. a coworker of mine submitted a package for ATC (a chronic critical with opennings) From what I heard he was denied and got an email from AFPC saying that 2A's are restricted to cross train. I can update you more on tuesday after I talk to him, but I guess we are restricted to FE, SERE, CC, and like 2 others that are really low manned.

Ill check with him on monday and find out what exactly happened.

17. TRAUMAhead

TRAUMAhead Rum Is for Drinking, Not for Burning.

Going FE/Load/etc possible if you get air sick?

18. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Why would you want to?

19. Eff

Eff New Member

WTF, I wanted to do ATC too when I cross.

Why the hell I was stupid enough to be a 2A, I'll never know....

20. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

The worst thing you can do when trying to chang ecareer fields is listen to what happened to other people. You need to gather your information yourself. Even if he did get an email, it may have meant he was only qualitifed to train in those career fields. You need facts, and you need them from the source: AFPC.

21. well thats why I have submitted a request for 1A0X1. Just to see if I can get it.

22. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

That's not what I said. When I said C-130J, I was talking about the Air Force, not USMC/KC-130J. I meant the Marine Corps doesn't have Flight Engineers anymore. That position was consolidated along with the Navigator (USMC had enlisted/warrant officer nav's), and Flight Mech into a Crew Chief position. Also, Marine KC-130J's are min. 4 man crews. 2 pilots, 1 crew chief, 1 loadmaster. Crew Chief is still needed to run the refueling panel for aerial refueling and what not.

Air Force Crew Chief ≠ Marine Corps Crew Chief.
    AF crew chief is just some maintenance guy. USMC crew chief is part of the aircrew.

23. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Good show, ol chap.

24. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

LOL at you.

Air Force crew chiefs never go anywhere with their jet. For serious. I couldn't possible know dozens of flying crew chiefs on a heavy bomber airframe.:ugh:

25. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Should have specified K/C130J airframe. And that was comparing my old AF squadron to my USMC squadron. Yes, I know there are some flying crew chiefs in the af, but what I was trying to get across is that they are not the same jobs even though they have the same name.