any females on here? Can anyone hook me up with a simple routine for my girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Hannibal King, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal King

Hannibal King OT Supporter

just a basic routine that includes cardio and light weights so my girlfriend can drop a couple lbs. thanks in advanced.

2. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

3. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

4. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

6. Daria

Daria New Member

If she wants to lose weight, she has to maintain a calorie deficit. Find out her maintenance calorie range and if she eats below that, she's good to go. Any other exercise on top of that is an added bonus.

As for finding her maintenance calorie range, I had mine estimated using some weird oxygen machine at a medical clinic, and the machines are rare, so I can't tell you for sure a good way to find out. The only thing I can think of is to google maintenance calorie range for your girlfriend's age, height, and weight. Or Dailyburn.com can calculate a range. If she is eating consistenly below this estimated range, and still not losing weight, she can try lowering the calories.

Cardio is good for lung and heart health. 1/2 an hour to 1 hour a day as often as possible is good.

Light weights will help reduce risks of osteoperosis and will help her maintain muscle as she loses weight. Losing fat > losing muscle.

A half-hour light weight routine with 3-5lbs to start (depending on how strong she feels) 3 times a week is very good. She should judge the amount of weight to use by her ability to complete 10 reps. If she can complete 20 reps of a particular exercise and feels that is easy, she should up the weight. You can google all sorts of exercises for the whole body and research proper form, so she doesn't injure herself and so that she gets the most out of what she's doing. She can do however many different exercises she wants that she can fit within 1/2 hour, with a 5-minute light cardio warmup. I say 1/2 an hour, because it's all you need for muscle maintenance (three times a week). Of course, she can do whatever she wants.

Some good exercises to focus on are pushups and squats. Core exercises are very important to help strengthen form and for posture. If she experiences any pain doing anything, she should not do it. If she tries her best with her form and is still having pain, it's not a good exercise to do and she should try to find an alternative.

Ie. Some heavier people have knee pain with squats. An alternative could be squatting with an exercise ball against her back with the ball against a wall. Proper form can be googled for that exercise as well.

If you or she has any more questions, I'd be more than happy to help. You can just PM me.

Edit: to help with your google search on exericises, here are some too look up: bicep curls, hammer curls, tricep kickbacks, overhead tricep extensions, deadlift, upright row, squat, lunge, abdominal crunch, bicycle crunch, calf raises, oblique twists, back extensions, planks, side lunges (off the top of my head, this is all I can think of)
    Try to switch things up workout to workout to keep from getting bored. Going slow with these exercises is good, because it helps you control the movement and avoids momentum which lets your body work less. Pausing briefly at the bottom or top of the exercise when doing a repetition can help reduce momentum.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

the most important thing is to know what she likes to do in the gym. Its easy to say what program is best for her but if she doesnt enjoy it odds are she wont be consistent enough if she even does it longer than a month.

If she is at least consistent she will get decent results through her noob gain period and you can work from there.

8. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

stiffleggeddeadliftsandsquats.txt

oh and you know the rules!

9. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Most girls just plain suck at consistency in the gym. Period. Dont know, must be in their DNA. Other than a few rare girls, I don't know many that can stick to a regular schedule of 3-4 days lifting in the gym. For this reason, I typically have them stick with something full body. Squat, hack squat, dead, bent rows, cleans, overhead press, incline bench, db flies, pullups, pulldowns, bb curls, dips, tricep ext, etc.....obviously not all in the same day.

10. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

there's some chick at my gym who's always doing snatches, deadlifts, squats, power cleans, etc....her legs are ridiculous and body overall is pretty nice. too bad about the face though.

11. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Just hit it from behind homey. If she looks back at you just give her the chris brown.

12. Soupy

Soupy "What is comforting and what is true are two entir OT Supporter

Are you joking? 3 - 5 lbs? That is completely retarded and a waste of time. Check out www.stumptuous.com for some realistic info on why having her use barbie weights is stupid.

13. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:werd:

14. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

15. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

here's a 13 year old girl in her first workout ever

[y]7PqcTs5kL6c[/y]

16. Elfling

Elfling New Member

There's a lot of things that really aren't necessarily correct in here. I'm not busting on you, but you're just regurgitating a lot of the typical women's mag shit.

While your average girl will need to start light- many of the girls I know can't even bench a bar to start with- there's no reason not to be using compound lifts from the start and learning them correctly. There's virtually no difference between male and female training when it comes down to it. I would recommend emphasizing lifting over cardio at first because girls tend to overdo it in the cardio arena.
    Learning to not be afraid of muscle, learning to be consistent- these are the basics she needs to learn, and there's no reason to have her doing the stupid adductor/abductor machines and isolation exercises when she needs a good base and proper form first.

OP, how experienced are you with lifting? One pro tip from someone who occasionally works out with their SO: she'll likely do better without you around in the gym. The differences in strength can make doing a side-by-side workout as a couple difficult for the average girl. Do you know anyone you can trust as a trainer? Is she teachable- can you show her something once and she'll do it on her own afterwards?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  17. Elfling

Elfling New Member

http://www.stevenbubel.com/2009/04/strength-training-and-the-female-athlete/ Pretty good article.

My standard setup for when friends come to me for help is:

3x weekly fullbody workout (or if they really seem panicky about that, an upper/lower split so that they do upper-m lower-w upper-f lower-m, etc)

I give them one chest, one back, one leg exercise- can be machines or weights depending on their strength level and expertise. If your girl is particularly little or really untrained, she may legitimately need to start on machines, especially when it comes to bench. Then I give them crunches and a couple of isolation exercises at the end.

Biggest problem most people have is just sticking with it. In the end, even if she is just putzing around, as long as she's doing it with good form, consistent putzing around > one good workout irregularly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.