Any experience with IUD's?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by jmechy, Aug 15, 2005.

1. jmechy

jmechy Calmer then you are.

So my girl and I are getting serious, and I'm starting to worry about condoms. Not only do they numb, but they aren't reliable enough. I'm not going to let her get on the pill or take any other hormone treatment, I like her how she is thanks. No cervical caps or female condoms either, we'd like something we don't have to worry about. Short of getting our tubes tied, it seems that the only option is an IUD. I've been looking into them a bit, but they are mostly suggested for women who have already had a baby. I'm going to assume that this is because they have a slight risk of giving the girl PID, which can ruin her chances of having a kid later. Anyone know if that's correct? Also, anyone have any first-hand experience with these things? Supposedly they are over 99% effective, but is that enough? 99% means we'd have babies within a year for sure (Figure having sex every night and you'd reach that 1 in 100 awfully fast). Is there another option that we should be looking at?

btw: we don't want this because we aren't ready for kids. We want this because we have both decided we don't want kids (at least not right now). Her mom went through hell to birth her, and shes afraid that she wouldn't be able to take having a child.

2. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

I think the sucess rates are actually in terms of chances/year not in episodes of sex.

I havent heard much about them other than the risks, I can understand though with all the side effects and affects contraceptives have on a number of levels in the body. They dont seem big in this country.

3. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

I am sure someone else will come along and answer your questions, but have you done any research yourself on BC? It seems like you looked over one page and then came here with a bunch of questions, and you seem WAY off base on alot of things. I would take the time to correct you, but its monday morning and I am lazy.

However a simple google search will bring an answer to all your questions, usually in the first result. Or even a search of this forum, will indeed bring up threads that contain all the answers you are looking for.

I highly doubt any doc will put in an IUD (btw, the most common IUD now also has hormones ;) ).

How old are you btw? and her?

4. Carpet Liquor

Carpet Liquor New Member

QFT!

You really seem to have your information wrong, as RVB has said.
    Condoms are (last I heard) 99% effective, just as much as the IUD you propose, which I was sure was much less effective.

There are types of BC that won't effect how your girl is. Sometimes it will just take trying different ones until you find teh right one.

The whole bit about "Not allowing your gilr to take BC" is horse shit, you really need to learn about things and be less controlling. There are other benefits to some BCs that you obviously haven't heard about, or care about.

5. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

:werd:

Yea, many girls actually take BC pills for more than just the contraceptive purposes. They regulate alot in thier bodies, and can actually help improve thier moods, acne, sex drive, etc. Its about finding the right pill, and a good doc will help her with that.

6. Got_Milf?

Got_Milf? Custom User Title:

IUD's are scary :noes: There's a HUGE risk if she hasn't had a baby yet, and it makes her periods heavier, more painful, and they are yes, hormones, so pms will be bad too. There's a very high risk of infection with them as well. As RedvsBlue said, do a google search and you'll find the exact numbers (which are different everywhere) but I do know (as I have literally tried every single birth control method for females, short of getting my tubes tied) that an IUD is the riskiest as far as side effects go.
    Also, don't worry about that having sex more then 100 times thing...it's WAY off..TRUST ME!!!!
    I've been with my SO for 5 1/2 years, we just had our baby 5 months ago, and before I got pregnant, we had sex at least a couple thousand times....so by that rule, we should have had what like 20 or so babies!?
    If she's sure she doesn't want any kids, she should get her tubes tied...or you should get a vasectomy, but no offence, it just sounds like the both of you need to do your homework...telling us that she is afraid to go through labor is telling us that she is ignorant (not in the rude way some people take the word ignorant, but in the true meaning of the word-unknowing, labor is different for every woman, and hell if I could do it drug-free, anyone can do it).

7. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Hmm the females I know had very reduced period's with thier IUD's, and when my girl asked the doc, she said to expect reduced to no period's at all. Also said cramping would be bad at first, but would subside in a few days, and after that she wouldnt even know it was there.

Hormones are there but much less than in your normal BC dose.

Then again I guess there could have been a misunderstanding? I think there are a few members here that have IUD's, maybe they could shed some more light....

8. MovieMan84

MovieMan84 Here we go

Every reputable source of failure rates that I've ever seen is failure percentage over the course of a normal year - so with proper use your IUD will fail 1 in 100 given years if 99% is accurate. I agree with everyone else here: get her to a gyno that both of you trust and both of you should try to become as educated as you can about all of the available options.

9. 0nthesp0tsgirl

0nthesp0tsgirl New Member

ok first off... there are 2 different kinds of IUDs. There is the Mirena, which is good for 5 years and has a small amount of hormones in it. It is more effective than having your tubes tied. I personally have this one, I've never had kids, and I love it. One of the side effects is to have lighter periods, and about 1/3 of women stop having their periods all together. You can read more about it on their website: www.mirena.com Then there is the IUD that is made of copper and has no hormones. Those are good for 10 years, but the side effects aren't so great, at least they weren't for me. Heavier periods and cramping were the main ones I remember. Anyway, I got my Mirena at Planned Parenthood and they put it in me because even though I haven't had children, I am in a committed relationship, The risk of getting PID is increased by having an IUD, but the risk comes more from having mulitple partners while an IUD is inserted. Anyway, there's just a little more info for you...

10. AQT4u2NV

AQT4u2NV Guest

There are different types of IUDs. Hormones and non-hormones. I have had the non-hormone (Paragard) for almost 2 years. It definitely has benefits and downsides. I still have periods, and my cramps are worse.

11. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

IUDs are more effective than a tubal litigation. You might have a hard time finding a doctor to put one in a woman who does not have children, as yes it does increase the risk of getting PID (or maybe not increase the risk, but if you get it it is worse due to the IUD) which increases your infertility risk.
    I've had my IUD almost 6 years now and absolutely love it. No regrets ever, and I've never had to worry about it.

12. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

IUDs are not the riskiest. Don't talk about things that you don't know ;)
    It will not make her periods heavier or more painful, actualy it tends to reduce the duration of a period as well as blood loss/cramping over time.
    Do a little reading on them ;)

13. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

IUDs were discovered when some perverted middle-eastern inserted apricot pit in camel uterus.

SOmething that I learned in college.

14. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

15. Got_Milf?

Thanks for that I have one :coolugh: there's more side effects to the one I have (Paragard) then any of the two kinds of pills I've tried, the needle, a diaphram, female condom, the patch, VCF, spermicide, and condoms...and I said it's the riskiest in terms of side effects, not chances of getting pregnant :bigthumb:
    The mirena (sp?) IUD does reduce periods becuase it has depo provera (the needle) in it, but I didn't know that was available everywhere yet....it wasn't available here when I got mine..I would have had to go to Toronto to get it if I wanted it.

16. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Hmm, maybe I should clarify that mine is the 10 year copper one (don't know the specific name).

I don't know much about the 5 year one.

17. Got_Milf?

yeah they're probably different...i should have clarified i was talking about my own too :sad2:

18. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

The reason doctors are hesitant to put IUDs in a woman who hasn't had kids is because the cervix is far less flexible than a woman who has had a kid or two, thus making insertion of an IUD harder.

There are two kinds, Mirena which has hormones, and the copper one (can't remember what it's called right now.... Paragard?).

I've heard the Mirena reduces period flow and cramping while Paragard has the exact opposite effect for a lot of women.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want your girlfirned taking hormonal birth control? It's up to her in the end, after all, she is the one taking the birth control.

19. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

lick wid nit,
    I never heard that reason, only what my doctor told me when we were discussing my IUD (before it was inserted).

20. jmechy

jmechy Calmer then you are.

Thanks to people that gave decent answers. Of course I have done research... I'm not some 14 year old kid that wants to bang his step-sister. I was looking at non-hormonal IUD's (paragaurd), and was wondering if we should consider it. She doesn't want to take the pill because she doesn't want it screwing with her, which I agree with. While I know alot of people who have gone on the pill, a few got kind of crazy afterwards and I don't really think I want to take that risk. Increased cramping doesn't sound good with an IUD, but paraguard claims its only for the first few cycles. Any more stories from users is welcomed.

21. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

It really depends on the person & the pill. Different pills work differently on everyone. There are enough out there that most people can find one they're compatable with that have no, or virtually no side effects. The people who are crazy on them are most likely people who are either in the process of finding a pill that works for them, or they're just too stubborn to try a different pill. The thing about pills is that if you start to notice effects you don't like then you can just stop taking the pill altogether, or switch to another one to see if it's any better. However, with an IUD you're stuck with what you get; as in if you're not liking the side effects, then you can't just remove it, you have to make an appointment with the obgyn to have it removed. The biggest thing is that most obgyn's won't go for the IUD for anyone who's under a certain age and/or who hasn't given birth. I don't know your ages, but I just thought I'd throw that out there since a lot of times obgyn's generally won't approve anything more than the pill (among a few other easily reversable things) until you're past your baby-making prime (even though it's not a permanent BC method).

I would just say to try out some different pills to see if she finds any that work well for her. If she doesn't come across anything that works, then move on to other things. However, the final decision is up to her, so I guess if she wants to pass on the pills, then that's her perogative.

22. purplebeast

purplebeast The depths of hell and endless torture await all h

I've heard that counting is pretty acurate if done right.

23. MovieMan84

MovieMan84 Here we go

24. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

You've also had a kid.

I frequent a lot of childfree forums and many of the users there have been told exactly that reason as the reason their doctors don't want to place an IUD in them. Which I think is kinda BS but it can be done, it's just tougher and a little more painful on a woman who has never ahd a kid.

25. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Well a little update...

my SO has got off the phone with a bunch of different clinc's and health dept's looking for info on an IUD. I believe she called 6 different places looking for a good price. Not a single one said her not having a child before would cause any problems at all.