Any experience with either of these HTIB?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Samdog, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Samdog

Samdog mmmmmm, turbo.....

Sony Receiver Home Theatre System (HTDDW870)
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10059530&catid=20311

vs

Yamaha YHT160S Home Theatre System
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10058723&catid=20311

You can probably tell I'm on a budget here. Would the Yamaha be worth spending the extra 100 dollars on? I'd prefer to go a little cheaper, but if the Sony is garbage then I'd definately be willing to pay that bit extra. Thanks guys! :wiggle:

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

candian prices FTL

for a second i thought u could just ship it from the US internationally and save money but good fucking lord international shipping is like 160 or so CAD

you dont have any friends in northern idaho/montana do you? :mamoru:

in the US you can buy the YHT-560 for 450

but back to your question, i have a large preference of yamaha over sony, if you feel comfortable spending the extra 100 then go for it, it will be a better product.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2005
  3. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

no no no :p

4. Samdog

Samdog mmmmmm, turbo.....

That's quite the advice there

Anyways, I was able to find the Yamaha for $320.00, and I picked it up :wackit:

5. Soulfire

Sorry I was probbably stoned when I wrote that. Anyways... The bottom line is I hate HTIB. Its the easy way out and it sounds like utter shit. The problem is they force the subwoofer to do so much because those tiny little satellite speakers cant produce shit for midrange much less any bass at all. Most of these HTIB's are consumer crap that you get at places like best buy and circut city, but nobody really wants to tell you the truth. They dont want you to know that it has shitty warranties, and will probbably be completely replaced in a couple years. Its throw away home audio and its becomming a big thing. I have listened to a lot of speakers in my day and I will tell you even a good pair of $200 bookshelf speakers sound only ok, but the sound quality of 20-30 dollar speakers is just muffled and bland.

BTW this is coming from a guy who gets stoned and listens to music on 10 thousand dollar speakers so yeah I am spoiled. Its no different than driving Ferraris all your life then someone expects you to drive the dodge neon rental car around. It just doesnt fly.

Sorry if im ranting. My point here is if you want a "Home Theater" build it the way it is suppose to be built. Piece by peice is the only way to ensure your getting the right parts and a system that can last you 5-10 years hopefully. Sure you may end up spending 1500-2000 but it will be fully worth every penny I guarentee you that. I deal with customers in my store all the time who I have to give this song and dance too. Hope you find what works for you though.

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

ill save this link: http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=46873380&postcount=5

for when people ask about HTIBs :p

7. Soulfire

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

True, but there's a big difference between $300 and $1500-2000. I know he's not going to get a great system for $300 but its still a giant step up from the speakers built into his TV.

9. johnson

johnson New Member

HTiB Killers

I bought my brother two pairs of Athena AS-B1's and a AS-C1. He was gonna get some crappy RCA's that had 5 speakers, a "subwoofer", a "reciever" and a dvd player.