Any experience with Cambridge Soundworks?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dbman96, Jan 31, 2003.

1. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

OK I'm asking a little late here, but I'm going to be waiting a while to recieve these and I've got 45 days to return them if I don't like them.

I wasn't really planning on doing this, but I spotted that Cambridge had some open-box sets of their top-of-the-line home theater speaker set.

This includes their T500 towers which are a 3-way with built-in 300w powered 10" sub and 12" passive radiator on each tower, their top model center, surround, and another center channel to pull rear-surround duty. The price on the full set was about $1700, which is a lot less than I was expecting to pay for speakers. I checked Audioreview.com pretty extensively and almost everyone had VERY good things to say about these speakers.

I'm just wondering if those people are possibly really stupid or if anyone on here has had a chance to hear any of Cambrige's higher end stuff, and can suggest any options that will give me better performance at NEARLY as good a value. I know for certain there are far better speakers out there but I'm looking for a certain price/performance compromise and I really would like to have a good-sized floor standing tower for my main speakers. I also have a standalone powered 15" sub already which fills in the ultra-low stuff quite well (below 50hz... it gets a little boomy any higher).

I'll be powering the speakers with a Marantz SR-7200 which supports DTS-ES, DD 6.1, etc. and which I also just purchased.

Thanks for any info.

2. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Wow... nobody, eh?

I guess I'd much rather if nobody knows, nobody say anything...

if I had posted this up in the OT forum I would have just been flamed left and right even if nobody had a clue what they were talking about.

Sounds like I get to be the guinea pig here, I'll let everyone know how it works out!