Any European posters here?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by timberwolf, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

What supplements are legal there?
    I'm leaving next week for France and don't really want any trouble with customs. Though last time, they made a fuss even over ZMA.
    Plan is to bring salmon oil, protein bars, cafffeine and saw palmetto.

2. Perplexed

Perplexed OT Supporter

:dunno: they sell ZMA in shops here.. I wasn't aware any of the laws were different. I wouldn't have thought any of that stuff was a problem, but then France is really gay.

3. Nouia

Nouia New Member

Legal to buy or legal to export? I'm not familiar with what you can buy legally (although, generally, French pharmaceutical companies can get away with more that American companies, which are governed by the very-strict FDA. Remember the whole Thalidomide fiasco in the 60s?). There are pharmancies and homeopathy stores on almost every corner.

I do know that customs isn't a huge problem, I lived in Paris for 3 years, and over the course of my stay, I had friends taking tons of Cuban cigars and booze to and from the US without any repurcusions. They seem to be a lot more concerned with narcotics trafficking than anything else. As long as you can prove that whatever they catch you with isn't a narcotic, I would think you'd be okay.

And there's always the old tied-off-condom-in-the-shampoo-bottle trick, which is a lot more trouble than anyone I know went through for cubans...

4. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Well.. when i was at the airport one of the guards just found the ZMA bottle and decided to hassle me. Didn't help that he got into an argument with my gf on whether I'm natural or not. Finally after 20 min, another guard read the ingredients and passed us through.

So what I'mn bringing in should be okay?

5. Nouia

Nouia New Member

Yeah, everything you listed should be totally fine. I don't know why they hassled you in the first place, French borders have always been really laidback for me, except for stuff like trains coming back from Amsterdam, etc.
    However, its common knowledge there that males with long hair and having darker skin get a lot more attention by cops; I got patted down just walking down the street a few times when I had my Jesus-hair.

6. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

By the way, Nouia how much would a week's pass or day pass cost at a gym in Paris?

7. Nouia

Nouia New Member

In Garches, which is kind of a ritzy suburb, where I lived, you could pay by the month, by units of ten sessions, or by individual sessions.

Tarif à la séance :
    - Garchois : 6,95
    - Non Garchois : 8,75

That is, if you don't live there, it looks like it'll be about $10 per day. (This is just what I gleaned from there site.) It also says you might be able to get a free trial session. And paying members are allowed to take guests for free, FYI. I don't know of any gyms in the city right off, but there are a ton in the western suburbs, near St. Cloud. A lot of times they're in the same complex as the "piscine municipale" (public pool). It'd be called gymnase or complex sportif .
    Some of the ritzy hotels have fitness centers, but only if its a really big hotel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.