any easy way to change file extensions under winxp?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Oct 3, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

how can i change a file extension?

2. k2737

k2737 Active Member

view file extensions, then rename.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

change the extension?
    -----right click, rename.....but it probably won't open

did you mean change which program opens when you double-click a given extension?
    -----right click on a file of that type, properties, where it says "Opens with..." click the "change" button

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Setting up proper file extensions on Windows, that's another Windows thing that's annoyed the fuck outta me. It seems to be pretty random whether a file saved from Notepad has the extension you specify, or the extension you specify PLUS '.txt'.

File extensions aren't as important on GNU/Linux, yet there's nothing hard about changing them (on Windows, I've had to go to a DOS prompt to do it). Right click, rename and type.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Notepad will save as .txt by default. If you want it something different you need quotes around the file name (ex: "main.html"). That will force it to save the extension you specify.

As for renaming in Windows, there's nothing to it. As long as you do not have file extensions hidden, it's nothing more than right-click/rename.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Ahh, thanks! That'll make any naturally-painful time I gotta spend on Windows a little less so.

Too bad the extensions are hidden by default, with no apparent method to change them without changing that behaviour in Explorer's mountain range of options.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

to make them visible open any window (my computer, my documents...anything) and choose "tools--> folder options--> view (tab)"

uncheck the box for "hide extension for known file types"

and this would have been a lot easier if you told us you couldn't see the file extensions :squint:

8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

That would be changing "that behaviour" (extensions being invisible - the default) ;)

Looks like a classic case of sucky Windows usability. At least two people here were having not-exactly-a-little amount of trouble with extensions, requiring assistance from others

So much for non-free OSes being champions of usability! (I know OS X is the real champ, but that blanket statement is plain wrong)

9. 7960

7960 New Member

that would be "customizing the environment" and is only slightly different than changing the desktop background
    If you're going to say windows usability could be better I'd agree. If you're trying to argue that windows usability is worse than *nix you couldn't be farther from the truth.

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I can understand why Microsoft chose to hide extensions by default. 75% of users who didn't grow up on DOS don't know what an extension is. All they know is that they have Word, Excel, or movie files and the right program opens when they double click it. Of the people who DO know about extensions and have cause to see or change them, probably 90% can easily find the right check box in Explorer options. The remaining people who can't find the checkbox could either go to a command prompt to do it or find it on the 1st page of a Google search.

11. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Indeed it would. But in the default enviornment, there is no usable way to change the file extension. I'd propose to make it possible in some kinda way in the file properties dialog (wouldn't be hard), mbut hey, I'm way closer to a programmer than a usability expert so I must be wrong.
    *nix? I'm glad you chose the most broad a term there is. For some reason (I wonder why) people think "Linux" or "GNU/Linux" refers to some usable operating system you download (free of charge!) and burn.

That's why you get people around saying "If Linux is free... how can it be good?" ("Linux is free" isn't true unless you're talking about the kernel - not if you're talking about the hundreds of OSes based on Linux, many of which you gotta pay for (or at least pay for updates e.g. Novell SLED))

Tell me that arguing Ubuntu being at least as usable as Windows is far from the truth, then we might be able to actually talk, about OS versus OS not hundreds-of-OSes versus OS.
    Indeed, but it would be oh-so-nice to be able to change the extension, say, in the file properties dialog.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

Why?

Again, MOST of the time there is never a need to do this. MOST of the time doing it fucks the file up.........why give stupid people a chance to fuck up their computer? And MOST of the time when someone wants to do it he'll either be able to figure it out or will have already changed the default properties to show file extensions.

13. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

OK, I'll give you my story.

I installed Windows (Windows 2000 pro, which I had never used before, but had heard great things of) on my computer for the first time in I think well over two years, about a month ago. I amn't a full-time Windows user, anymore. But I had shit I wanted done. Basically, set up a website (I say basically because this "website" wasn't to be run on the average browser, it was to be run via XULRunner, so I had to spend time in Windows' do-your-work-at-a-snails-pace command-line interface (not the most usable command-line interface in the world either, would ya believe it)).

Annnnnyhow, not having recently completed a $400 course on how to use Windows, and not after having used Windows consistently for any considerable amount of time, and not having been told about the secret quotes-to-save-your-extension trick, there was always a lot of hellish shit (I wouldn't mind so much if the command-line interface I had to resort to was anything like bash and gnome-terminal - with tab completion and the works, but no) involved in my stay on Windows.

And I amn't the only person affected by this. What's the title of this thread again?
    There's not a file on the machine that a user would be able to change the extension of without being able to throw it in The Recycle Bin - I don't think it would cause anybody to fuck anything up.

I can already see the replies - zoning in on the "fact" that having a usable command-line interface is of low importance, well, my friends, the fact is I had to resort to it (besides do work on it). The least you could do is ensure it's not the ugliest (in every sense of the word) command-line interface in any half-modern OS.

(for the record, usability does not mean being nice to noobs. It means being nice to PEOPLE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usability)

14. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I dunno about you all, but I know I, a person, would expect to be able to change a file's extension in it's PROPERTIES window.

15. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

thank you. i stopped reading after your post. i didn't have time

16. k2737

k2737 Active Member

No problem. :)