Any Dr's?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by repda916, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. repda916

repda916 New Member

May 13, 2007
    So I feel today ridig my dirtbike while I fell i put my hand out in front of me to try and catch my self. When i got up my wrist hurt and then a few minutes later when i tried to move my arm I got a SHARP pain in the elbow part of my arm. if i try to make my arm straight i cant and get the sharp pain. Should I just go and get xrays?
  2. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer Active Member OT Supporter

Jun 24, 2003
    Im no doctor but you absolutely should get xrays.
  3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I'd go to the ER right now, or at the very least go first thing in the morning.

My sister fell while wearing stupid girl shoes and didn't think much of it... Her foot really hurt and got bruised, but she didn't go to the doctor for a month despite the continual pain. She finally went (no medical insurance is the main reason she put it off for so long) and found out that one of her metatarsals (foot bone) is fractured and hadn't healed a bit despite the splint she wore for a couple weeks...

Better safe than sorry. She basically has to deal with the cast for a month longer than she would have had to if she had gone to the doctor when it initially happened.
  4. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Oct 21, 2002
    Yes we're all licensed MD's in here.
  5. Guitar_fool

Guitar_fool Guest

6. repda916

repda916 New Member

May 13, 2007
    your right this is OT the one forums with thousands of people checking the boards a hour. there COULD be a first responder that checks the boards or someone going to school.
    how is calling 911 going to get me close to a doctor?
  7. hacksaw_

hacksaw_ Active Member OT Supporter

Jun 23, 2007
  8. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Feb 22, 2005
  9. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

Aug 9, 2004
    Soak it in 'tussin.
  10. TZ

TZ Banned

Sep 27, 2006

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

Apr 22, 2001

I am dr. bengy

based on your post, I can definitivally conclude you have a rare form of what is known as Acquired immune deficiency syndrome. This occurs when sometimes falling off a dirtbike, and what not. Here's some information for you...before I do that, I just want to let you know that you are going to way around it, I apologize I have to be blunt, but thats the way it is....

Acquired immune deficiency syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS or Aids) is a collection of symptoms and infections resulting from the specific damage to the immune system caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in humans[1], and similar viruses in other species (SIV, FIV, etc.). The late stage of the condition leaves individuals prone to opportunistic infections and tumors. Although treatments for AIDS and HIV exist to slow the virus' progression, there is no known cure. HIV, et al., are transmitted through direct contact of a mucous membrane or the bloodstream with a bodily fluid containing HIV, such as blood, semen, vaginal fluid, preseminal fluid, and breast milk.[2][3] This transmission can come in the form of anal, vaginal or oral sex, blood transfusion, contaminated hypodermic needles, exchange between mother and baby during pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding, or other exposure to one of the above bodily fluids.
    Most researchers believe that HIV originated in sub-Saharan Africa during the twentieth century;[4] it is now a pandemic, with an estimated 38.6 million people now living with the disease worldwide.[5] As of January 2006, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) and the World Health Organization (WHO) estimate that AIDS has killed more than 25 million people since it was first recognized on June 5, 1981, making it one of the most destructive epidemics in recorded history. In 2005 alone, AIDS claimed an estimated 2.4–3.3 million lives, of which more than 570,000 were children.[5] A third of these deaths are occurring in sub-Saharan Africa, retarding economic growth and destroying human capital. Antiretroviral treatment reduces both the mortality and the morbidity of HIV infection, but routine access to antiretroviral medication is not available in all countries.[6] HIV/AIDS stigma is more severe than that associated with other life-threatening conditions and extends beyond the disease itself to providers and even volunteers involved with the care of people living with HIV.
    Contents [hide]
    1 Infection by HIV 
    2 Diagnosis 
    2.1 WHO disease staging system for HIV infection and disease 
    2.2 CDC classification system for HIV infection 
    2.3 HIV test 
    3 Symptoms and complications 
    3.1 Major pulmonary illnesses 
    3.2 Major gastro-intestinal illnesses 
    3.3 Major neurological illnesses 
    3.4 Major HIV-associated malignancies 
    3.5 Other opportunistic infections 
    4 Transmission and prevention 
    4.1 Sexual contact 
    4.2 Exposure to infected body fluids 
    4.3 Mother-to-child transmission (MTCT) 
    5 Treatment 
    6 Epidemiology 
    7 Economic impact 
    8 Stigma 
    9 Origin of HIV 
    10 Alternative hypotheses 
    11 HIV and AIDS misconceptions 
    12 Notes and references 
    13 External links 
    Infection by HIV
    For more details on this topic, see HIV.
    Scanning electron micrograph of HIV-1 budding from cultured lymphocyte.AIDS is the most severe acceleration of infection with HIV. HIV is a retrovirus that primarily infects vital organs of the human immune system such as CD4+ T cells (a subset of T cells), macrophages and dendritic cells. It directly and indirectly destroys CD4+ T cells. CD4+ T cells are required for the proper functioning of the immune system. When HIV kills CD4+ T cells so that there are fewer than 200 CD4+ T cells per microliter (µL) of blood, cellular immunity is lost, leading to the condition known as AIDS. Acute HIV infection progresses over time to clinical latent HIV infection and then to early symptomatic HIV infection and later to AIDS, which is identified on the basis of the amount of CD4+ T cells in the blood and the presence of certain infections.
    In the absence of antiretroviral therapy, the median time of progression from HIV infection to AIDS is nine to ten years, and the median survival time after developing AIDS is only 9.2 months.[7] However, the rate of clinical disease progression varies widely between individuals, from two weeks up to 20 years. Many factors affect the rate of progression. These include factors that influence the body's ability to defend against HIV such as the infected person's general immune function.[8][9] Older people have weaker immune systems, and therefore have a greater risk of rapid disease progression than younger people. Poor access to health care and the existence of coexisting infections such as tuberculosis also may predispose people to faster disease progression.[7][10][11] The infected person's genetic inheritance plays an important role and some people are resistant to certain strains of HIV. An example of this is people with the CCR5-Δ32 mutation are resistant to infection with certain strains of HIV.[12] HIV is genetically variable and exists as different strains, which cause different rates of clinical disease progression.[13][14][15] The use of highly active antiretroviral therapy prolongs both the median time of progression to AIDS and the median survival time.
    Since June 5, 1981, many definitions have been developed for epidemiological surveillance such as the Bangui definition and the 1994 expanded World Health Organization AIDS case definition. However, clinical staging of patients was not an intended use for these systems as they are neither sensitive, nor specific. In developing countries, the World Health Organization staging system for HIV infection and disease, using clinical and laboratory data, is used and in developed countries, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Classification System is used.
    WHO disease staging system for HIV infection and disease
    Main article: WHO Disease Staging System for HIV Infection and Disease
    In 1990, the World Health Organization (WHO) grouped these infections and conditions together by introducing a staging system for patients infected with HIV-1.[16] An update took place in September 2005. Most of these conditions are opportunistic infections that are easily treatable in healthy people.
    Stage I: HIV infection is asymptomatic and not categorized as AIDS 
    Stage II: includes minor mucocutaneous manifestations and recurrent upper respiratory tract infections 
    Stage III: includes unexplained chronic diarrhea for longer than a month, severe bacterial infections and pulmonary tuberculosis 
    Stage IV: includes toxoplasmosis of the brain, candidiasis of the esophagus, trachea, bronchi or lungs and Kaposi's sarcoma; these diseases are indicators of AIDS. 
    CDC classification system for HIV infection
    Main article: CDC Classification System for HIV Infection
    In the beginning, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) did not have an official name for the disease, often referring to it by way of the diseases that were associated with it, for example, lymphadenopathy, the disease after which the discoverers of HIV originally named the virus.[17][18] They also used Kaposi's Sarcoma and Opportunistic Infections, the name by which a task force had been set up in 1981.[19] In the general press, the term GRID, which stood for Gay-Related Immune Deficiency, had been coined.[20] However, after determining that AIDS was not isolated to the homosexual community,[19] the term GRID became redundant and AIDS was introduced at a meeting in July 1982.[21] By September 1982 the CDC started using the name AIDS, and properly defined the illness.[22] In 1993, the CDC expanded their definition of AIDS to include all HIV positive people with a CD4+ T cell count below 200 per µL of blood or 14% of all lymphocytes.[23] The majority of new AIDS cases in developed countries use either this definition or the pre-1993 CDC definition. The AIDS diagnosis still stands even if, after treatment, the CD4+ T cell count rises to above 200 per µL of blood or other AIDS-defining illnesses are cured.
    HIV test
    Main article: HIV test
    Many people are unaware that they are infected with HIV.[24] Less than 1% of the sexually active urban population in Africa has been tested, and this proportion is even lower in rural populations. Furthermore, only 0.5% of pregnant women attending urban health facilities are counseled, tested or receive their test results. Again, this proportion is even lower in rural health facilities.[24] Therefore, donor blood and blood products used in medicine and medical research are screened for HIV. Typical HIV tests, including the HIV enzyme immunoassay and the Western blot assay, detect HIV antibodies in serum, plasma, oral fluid, dried blood spot or urine of patients. However, the window period (the time between initial infection and the development of detectable antibodies against the infection) can vary. This is why it can take 3–6 months to seroconvert and test positive. Commercially available tests to detect other HIV antigens, HIV-RNA, and HIV-DNA in order to detect HIV infection prior to the development of detectable antibodies are available. For the diagnosis of HIV infection these assays are not specifically approved, but are nonetheless routinely used in developed countries.
    Symptoms and complications
    A generalized graph of the relationship between HIV copies (viral load) and CD4 counts over the average course of untreated HIV infection; any particular individual's disease course may vary considerably.   CD4+ T Lymphocyte count (cells/mm³) 
      HIV RNA copies per mL of plasma 
    The symptoms of AIDS are primarily the result of conditions that do not normally develop in individuals with healthy immune systems. Most of these conditions are infections caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites that are normally controlled by the elements of the immune system that HIV damages. Opportunistic infections are common in people with AIDS.[25] HIV affects nearly every organ system. People with AIDS also have an increased risk of developing various cancers such as Kaposi's sarcoma, cervical cancer and cancers of the immune system known as lymphomas.
    Additionally, people with AIDS often have systemic symptoms of infection like fevers, sweats (particularly at night), swollen glands, chills, weakness, and weight loss.[26][27] After the diagnosis of AIDS is made, the current average survival time with antiretroviral therapy (as of 2005) is estimated to be more than 5 years,[28] but because new treatments continue to be developed and because HIV continues to evolve resistance to treatments, estimates of survival time are likely to continue to change. Without antiretroviral therapy, death normally occurs within a year.[7] Most patients die from opportunistic infections or malignancies associated with the progressive failure of the immune system.[29]
    The rate of clinical disease progression varies widely between individuals and has been shown to be affected by many factors such as host susceptibility and immune function[8][9][12] health care and co-infections,[7][29] as well as factors relating to the viral strain.[14][30][31] The specific opportunistic infections that AIDS patients develop depend in part on the prevalence of these infections in the geographic area in which the patient lives.
    Major pulmonary illnesses
    The United States government and health organizations both endorse the ABC Approach to lower the risk of acquiring AIDS during sex:
    Abstinence or delay of sexual activity, especially for youth, 
    Being faithful, especially for those in committed relationships, 
    Condom use, for those who engage in risky behavior. 
    This approach has been very successful in Uganda, where HIV prevalence has decreased from 15% to 5%. However, more has been done than just this. As Edward Green, a Harvard medical anthropologist, put it, "Uganda has pioneered approaches towards reducing stigma, bringing discussion of sexual behavior out into the open, involving HIV-infected people in public education, persuading individuals and couples to be tested and counseled, improving the status of women, involving religious organizations, enlisting traditional healers, and much more." However, criticism of the ABC approach is widespread because a faithful partner of an unfaithful partner is at risk of contracting HIV and that discrimination against women and girls is so great that they are without voice in almost every area of their lives.[72] Other programs and initiatives promote condom use more heavily. Condom use is an integral part of the CNN Approach. This is:
    Condom use, for those who engage in risky behavior, 
    Needles, use clean ones, 
    Negotiating skills; negotiating safer sex with a partner and empowering women to make smart choices. 
    In December 2006, the last of three large, randomized trials confirmed that male circumcision lowers the risk of HIV infection among heterosexual African men by around 50%. It is expected that this intervention will be actively promoted in many of the countries worst affected by HIV, although doing so will involve confronting a number of practical, cultural and attitudinal issues. Some experts fear that a lower perception of vulnerability among circumcised men may result in more sexual risk-taking behavior, thus negating its preventive effects.[73] Furthermore, South African medical experts are concerned that the repeated use of unsterilized blades in the ritual circumcision of adolescent boys may be spreading HIV.[74]
    Exposure to infected body fluids
    This transmission route is particularly relevant to intravenous drug users, hemophiliacs and recipients of blood transfusions and blood products. Sharing and reusing syringes contaminated with HIV-infected blood represents a major risk for infection with not only HIV, but also hepatitis B and hepatitis C. Needle sharing is the cause of one third of all new HIV-infections and 50% of hepatitis C infections in North America, China, and Eastern Europe. The risk of being infected with HIV from a single prick with a needle that has been used on an HIV-infected person is thought to be about 1 in 150 (see table above). Post-exposure prophylaxis with anti-HIV drugs can further reduce that small risk.[75] Health care workers (nurses, laboratory workers, doctors etc) are also concerned, although more rarely. This route can affect people who give and receive tattoos and piercings. Universal precautions are frequently not followed in both sub-Saharan Africa and much of Asia because of both a shortage of supplies and inadequate training. The WHO estimates that approximately 2.5% of all HIV infections in sub-Saharan Africa are transmitted through unsafe healthcare injections.[76] Because of this, the United Nations General Assembly, supported by universal medical opinion on the matter, has urged the nations of the world to implement universal precautions to prevent HIV transmission in health care settings.[77][78]
    The risk of transmitting HIV to blood transfusion recipients is extremely low in developed countries where improved donor selection and HIV screening is performed. However, according to the WHO, the overwhelming majority of the world's population does not have access to safe blood and "between 5% and 10% of HIV infections worldwide are transmitted through the transfusion of infected blood and blood products".[79]
    Medical workers who follow universal precautions or body-substance isolation, such as wearing latex gloves when giving injections and washing the hands frequently, can help prevent infection by HIV.
    All AIDS-prevention organizations advise drug-users not to share needles and other material required to prepare and take drugs (including syringes, cotton balls, the spoons, water for diluting the drug, straws, crack pipes, etc). It is important that people use new or properly sterilized needles for each injection. Information on cleaning needles using bleach is available from health care and addiction professionals and from needle exchanges. In some developed countries, clean needles are available free in some cities, at needle exchanges or safe injection sites. Additionally, many nations have decriminalized needle possession and made it possible to buy injection equipment from pharmacists without a prescription.
    Mother-to-child transmission (MTCT)
    The transmission of the virus from the mother to the child can occur in utero during the last weeks of pregnancy and at childbirth. In the absence of treatment, the transmission rate between the mother to the child during pregnancy, labor and delivery is 25%. However, when the mother has access to antiretroviral therapy and gives birth by caesarean section, the rate of transmission is just 1%.[48] A number of factors influence the risk of infection, particularly the viral load of the mother at birth (the higher the load, the higher the risk). Breastfeeding increases the risk of transmission by 10–15%. This risk depends on clinical factors and may vary according to the pattern and duration of breast-feeding.
    Studies have shown that antiretroviral drugs, caesarean delivery and formula feeding reduce the chance of transmission of HIV from mother to child.[80] Current recommendations state that when replacement feeding is acceptable, feasible, affordable, sustainable and safe, HIV-infected mothers should avoid breast-feeding their infant. However, if this is not the case, exclusive breast-feeding is recommended during the first months of life and discontinued as soon as possible.[5] In 2005, around 700,000 children under 15 contracted HIV, mainly through MTCT, with 630,000 of these infections occurring in Africa.[81] Of the estimated 2.3 million [1.7–3.5 million] children currently living with HIV, 2 million (almost 90%) live in sub-Saharan Africa.[5]
    Prevention strategies are well known in developed countries, however, recent epidemiological and behavioral studies in Europe and North America have suggested that a substantial minority of young people continue to engage in high-risk practices and that despite HIV/AIDS knowledge, young people underestimate their own risk of becoming infected with HIV.[82] However, transmission of HIV between intravenous drug users has clearly decreased, and HIV transmission by blood transfusion has become quite rare in developed countries.
    See also HIV Treatment and Antiretroviral drug. 
    There is currently no vaccine or cure for HIV or AIDS. The only known methods of prevention are based on avoiding exposure to the virus or, failing that, an antiretroviral treatment directly after a highly significant exposure, called post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP).[75] PEP has a very demanding four week schedule of dosage. It also has very unpleasant side effects including diarrhea, malaise, nausea and fatigue.[83]
    Abacavir — a nucleoside analog reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NARTIs or NRTIs) 
    The chemical structure of Abacavir 
    Atazanavir — a protease inhibitorCurrent treatment for HIV infection consists of highly active antiretroviral therapy, or HAART.[84] This has been highly beneficial to many HIV-infected individuals since its introduction in 1996 when the protease inhibitor-based HAART initially became available.[6] Current optimal HAART options consist of combinations (or "cocktails") consisting of at least three drugs belonging to at least two types, or "classes," of anti-retroviral agents. Typical regimens consist of two nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NARTIs or NRTIs) plus either a protease inhibitor or a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI). Because HIV disease progression in children is more rapid than in adults, and laboratory parameters are less predictive of risk for disease progression, particularly for young infants, treatment recommendations are more aggressive for children than for adults.[85] In developed countries where HAART is available, doctors assess the viral load, rapidity in CD4 decline, and patient readiness while deciding when to recommend initiating treatment.[86]
    HAART allows the stabilization of the patient’s symptoms and viremia, but it neither cures the patient of HIV, nor alleviates the symptoms, and high levels of HIV-1, often HAART resistant, return once treatment is stopped.[87][88] Moreover, it would take more than the lifetime of an individual to be cleared of HIV infection using HAART.[89] Despite this, many HIV-infected individuals have experienced remarkable improvements in their general health and quality of life, which has led to the plummeting of HIV-associated morbidity and mortality.[90][91][92] In the absence of HAART, progression from HIV infection to AIDS occurs at a median of between nine to ten years and the median survival time after developing AIDS is only 9.2 months.[7] HAART is thought to increase survival time by between 4 and 12 years.[93][94] This average reflects the fact that for some patients — and in many clinical cohorts this may be more than fifty percent of patients — HAART achieves far less than optimal results. This is due to a variety of reasons such as medication intolerance/side effects, prior ineffective antiretroviral therapy and infection with a drug-resistant strain of HIV. However, non-adherence and non-persistence with antiretroviral therapy is the major reason most individuals fail to get any benefit from and develop resistance to HAART.[95] The reasons for non-adherence and non-persistence with HAART are varied and overlapping. Major psychosocial issues, such as poor access to medical care, inadequate social supports, psychiatric disease and drug abuse contribute to non-adherence. The complexity of these HAART regimens, whether due to pill number, dosing frequency, meal restrictions or other issues along with side effects that create intentional non-adherence also has a weighty impact.[96][97][98] The side effects include lipodystrophy, dyslipidaemia, insulin resistance, an increase in cardiovascular risks and birth defects.[99][100]
    Daily multivitamin and mineral supplements have been found to reduce HIV disease progression among men and women. This could become an important low-cost intervention provided during early HIV disease to prolong the time before antiretroviral therapy is required.[101] Some individual nutrients have also been tried.[102][103] Anti-retroviral drugs are expensive, and the majority of the world's infected individuals do not have access to medications and treatments for HIV and AIDS.[104] It has been postulated that only a vaccine can halt the pandemic because a vaccine would possibly cost less, thus being affordable for developing countries, and would not require daily treatments.[104] However, after over 20 years of research, HIV-1 remains a difficult target for a vaccine.[104]
    ^ Cayley, W. E. Jr. (2004). "Effectiveness of condoms in reducing heterosexual transmission of HIV". Am. Fam. Physician 70 (7): 1268–1269. PubMed.  
    ^ Catholic Church (1997). "Offenses against chastity", Catechism of the Catholic Church : Second Edition. Vatican: Amministrazione Del Patrimonio Della Sede Apostolica, 2353.  
    ^ Human Rights Watch (2005). "Restrictions on Condoms", The Less They Know, the Better. New York NY: Human Rights Watch.  
    ^ [No authors listed] (1997). "Study shows condom use does not promote promiscuity.". AIDS Policy Law. 12 (12): 6–7. PubMed.  
    ^ Human Rights Watch (2002-09-02). Ignorance only: HIV/AIDS, Human rights and federally funded abstinence-only programs in the United States. Texas: A case study. Human Rights Watch. Retrieved on 2006-03-28. 
    ^ Debra Hauser (2004). Five Years of Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Education: Assessing the Impact (PDF). Advocates for Youth. Retrieved on 2006-06-07. 
    ^ Durex. Module 5/Guidelines for Educators (Microsoft Word). Retrieved on 2006-04-17. 
    ^ PATH (2006). "The female condom: significant potential for STI and pregnancy prevention". Outlook 22 (2).  
    ^ WHO (August, 2003). Condom Facts and Figures. Retrieved on 2006-01-17. 
    ^ The Economist (2005). Too much morality, too little sense. Retrieved on 2006-03-28. 
    ^ NIAID (2006-12-13). Adult Male Circumcision Significantly Reduces Risk of Acquiring HIV: Trials Kenya and Uganda Stopped Early. Retrieved on 2006-12-15. 
    ^ Various (2005). Repeated Use of Unsterilized Blades in Ritual Circumcision Might Contribute to HIV Spread in S. Africa, Doctors Say. Retrieved on 2006-03-28. 
    ^ a b Fan, H. (2005). in Fan, H., Conner, R. F. and Villarreal, L. P. eds: AIDS: science and society, 4th, Boston, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers. ISBN 0-7637-0086-X.  
    ^ WHO (2003-03-17). WHO, UNAIDS Reaffirm HIV as a Sexually Transmitted Disease. Retrieved on 2006-01-17. 
    ^ Physicians for Human Rights (2003-03-13). HIV Transmission in the Medical Setting: A White Paper by Physicians for Human Rights. Partners in Health. Retrieved on 2006-03-01. 
    ^ United Nations General Assembly (2001). Declaration of Commitment on HIV/AIDS Global Crisis — Global Action. Retrieved on 2006-03-01. 
    ^ WHO (2001). Blood safety....for too few. Retrieved on 2006-01-17. 
    ^ Sperling, R. S., Shapirom D. E., Coombsm R. W., Todd, J. A., Herman, S. A., McSherry, G. D., O'Sullivan, M. J., Van Dyke, R. B., Jimenez, E., Rouzioux, C., Flynn, P. M. and Sullivan, J. L. (1996). "Maternal viral load, zidovudine treatment, and the risk of transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 from mother to infant". N. Engl. J. Med. 335 (22): 1621–1629. PubMed.  
    ^ Berry, S. (2006-06-08). Children, HIV and AIDS. Retrieved on 2006-06-15. 
    ^ Dias, S. F., Matos, M. G. and Goncalves, A. C. (2005). "Preventing HIV transmission in adolescents: an analysis of the Portuguese data from the Health Behaviour School-aged Children study and focus groups". Eur. J. Public Health 15 (3): 300–304. PubMed.  
    ^ a b Department of Health and Human Services (February, 2006). A Pocket Guide to Adult HIV/AIDS Treatment February 2006 edition. Retrieved on 2006-09-01. 
    ^ Department of Health and Human Services (February, 2006). A Pocket Guide to Adult HIV/AIDS Treatment February 2006 edition. Retrieved on 2006-09-01. 
    ^ Department of Health and Human Services Working Group on Antiretroviral Therapy and Medical Management of HIV-Infected Children (November 3, 2005). Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in Pediatric HIV Infection (PDF). Retrieved on 2006-01-17. 
    ^ Department of Health and Human Services Panel on Clinical Practices for Treatment of HIV Infection (October 6, 2005). Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in HIV-1-Infected Adults and Adolescents (PDF). Retrieved on 2006-01-17. 
    ^ Martinez-Picado, J., DePasquale, M. P., Kartsonis, N., Hanna, G. J., Wong, J., Finzi, D., Rosenberg, E., Gunthard, H. F., Sutton, L., Savara, A., Petropoulos, C. J., Hellmann, N., Walker, B. D., Richman, D. D., Siliciano, R. and D'Aquila, R. T. (2000). "Antiretroviral resistance during successful therapy of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 97 (20): 10948–10953. PubMed.  
    ^ Dybul, M., Fauci, A. S., Bartlett, J. G., Kaplan, J. E., Pau, A. K.; Panel on Clinical Practices for Treatment of HIV. (2002). "Guidelines for using antiretroviral agents among HIV-infected adults and adolescents". Ann. Intern. Med. 137 (5 Pt 2): 381–433. PubMed.  
    ^ Blankson, J. N., Persaud, D., Siliciano, R. F. (2002). "The challenge of viral reservoirs in HIV-1 infection". Annu. Rev. Med. 53: 557–593. PubMed.  
    ^ Palella, F. J., Delaney, K. M., Moorman, A. C., Loveless, M. O., Fuhrer, J., Satten, G. A., Aschman, D. J. and Holmberg, S. D. (1998). "Declining morbidity and mortality among patients with advanced human immunodeficiency virus infection". N. Engl. J. Med. 338 (13): 853–860. PubMed.  
    ^ Wood, E., Hogg, R. S., Yip, B., Harrigan, P. R., O'Shaughnessy, M. V. and Montaner, J. S. (2003). "Is there a baseline CD4 cell count that precludes a survival response to modern antiretroviral therapy?". AIDS 17 (5): 711–720. PubMed.  
    ^ Chene, G., Sterne, J. A., May, M., Costagliola, D., Ledergerber, B., Phillips, A. N., Dabis, F., Lundgren, J., D'Arminio Monforte, A., de Wolf, F., Hogg, R., Reiss, P., Justice, A., Leport, C., Staszewski, S., Gill, J., Fatkenheuer, G., Egger, M. E. and the Antiretroviral Therapy Cohort Collaboration. (2003). "Prognostic importance of initial response in HIV-1 infected patients starting potent antiretroviral therapy: analysis of prospective studies". Lancet 362 (9385): 679–686. PubMed.  
    ^ King, J. T., Justice, A. C., Roberts, M. S., Chang, C. H., Fusco, J. S. and the CHORUS Program Team. (2003). "Long-Term HIV/AIDS Survival Estimation in the Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy Era". Medical Decision Making 23 (1): 9–20. PubMed.  
    ^ Tassie, J.M., Grabar, S., Lancar, R., Deloumeaux, J., Bentata, M., Costagliola, D. and the Clinical Epidemiology Group from the French Hospital Database on HIV. (2002). "Time to AIDS from 1992 to 1999 in HIV-1-infected subjects with known date of infection". Journal of acquired immune deficiency syndromes 30 (1): 81–7. PubMed.  
    ^ Becker SL, Dezii CM, Burtcel B, Kawabata H, Hodder S. (2002). "Young HIV-infected adults are at greater risk for medication nonadherence". MedGenMed. 4 (3): 21. PubMed.  
    ^ Nieuwkerk, P., Sprangers, M., Burger, D., Hoetelmans, R. M., Hugen, P. W., Danner, S. A., van Der Ende, M. E., Schneider, M. M., Schrey, G., Meenhorst, P. L., Sprenger, H. G., Kauffmann, R. H., Jambroes, M., Chesney, M. A., de Wolf, F., Lange, J. M. and the ATHENA Project. (2001). "Limited Patient Adherence to Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV-1 Infection in an Observational Cohort Study". Arch. Intern. Med. 161 (16): 1962–1968. PubMed.  
    ^ Kleeberger, C., Phair, J., Strathdee, S., Detels, R., Kingsley, L. and Jacobson, L. P. (2001). "Determinants of Heterogeneous Adherence to HIV-Antiretroviral Therapies in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study". J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 26 (1): 82–92. PubMed.  
    ^ Heath, K. V., Singer, J., O'Shaughnessy, M. V., Montaner, J. S. and Hogg, R. S. (2002). "Intentional Nonadherence Due to Adverse Symptoms Associated With Antiretroviral Therapy". J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 31 (2): 211–217. PubMed.  
    ^ Montessori, V., Press, N., Harris, M., Akagi, L., Montaner, J. S. (2004). "Adverse effects of antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection.". CMAJ 170 (2): 229–238. PubMed.  
    ^ Saitoh, A., Hull, A. D., Franklin, P. and Spector, S. A. (2005). "Myelomeningocele in an infant with intrauterine exposure to efavirenz". J. Perinatol. 25 (8): 555–556. PubMed.  
    ^ Fawzi W, Msamanga G, Spiegelman D, Hunter DJ (2005). "Studies of vitamins and minerals and HIV transmission and disease progression". J. Nutrition 135 (4): 938–944. PubMed.  
    ^ (Selenium:) Hurwitz BE, Klaus JR, Llabre MM, Gonzalez A, Lawrence PJ, Maher KJ, Greeson JM, Baum MK, Shor-Posner G, Skyler JS, Schneiderman N. (2007). "Suppression of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 viral load with selenium supplementation: a randomized controlled trial". Arch Intern Med. 167 (2): 148–155. PubMed.  
    ^ (Vitamin C:) Cathcart, Robert F. (1984). "Vitamin C in the Treatment of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome". Medical Hypotheses 14 (4): 423-433.  
    ^ a b c Ferrantelli F, Cafaro A, Ensoli B. (2004). "Nonstructural HIV proteins as targets for prophylactic or therapeutic vaccines". Curr Opin Biotechnol. 15 (6): 543–556. PubMed.  
    ^ Laurence J. (2006). "Hepatitis A and B virus immunization in HIV-infected persons". AIDS Reader 16 (1): 15–17. PubMed.  
    ^ a b Saltmarsh, S. (2005). "Voodoo or valid? Alternative therapies benefit those living with HIV". Positively Aware 3 (16): 46. PubMed.  
    ^ Pharo, A. et al. (1996). "Evaluation of the safety and efficacy of SPV-30 (boxwood extract) in patients with HIV disease.". Int Conf AIDS (Jul 7–12): 11:19. abstract no. Mo. B.180.  
    ^ Durant, J. et al. (1998). "Efficacy and safety of Buxussempervirens L. preparations (SPV-30) in HIV infected asymptomatic patients: a multi-centre, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.". Phytomedicine (5): 1–10.  
    ^ Mills, E., Wu, P. and Ernst, E. (2005). "Complementary therapies for the treatment of HIV: in search of the evidence.". Int. J. STD AIDS. 16 (6): 395–403. PubMed.  
    ^ UNAIDS (2006). "Annex 2: HIV/AIDS estimates and data, 2005", 2006 Report on the global AIDS epidemic (PDF).  
    ^ UNAIDS (2001). Special Session of the General Assembly on HIV/AIDS Round table 3 Socio-economic impact of the epidemic and the strengthening of national capacities to combat HIV/AIDS (PDF). Retrieved on 2006-06-15. 
    ^ World Bank (2005). Evaluating the World Bank's Assistance for Fighting the HIV/AIDS Epidemic. Retrieved on 2006-01-17. 
    ^ CDC (1996). "U.S. HIV and AIDS cases reported through December 1996" (PDF). HIV/AIDS Surveillance Report 8 (2): 1–40.  
    ^ a b c Greener, R. (2002). "AIDS and macroeconomic impact", in S, Forsyth (ed.): State of The Art: AIDS and Economics (PDF), IAEN, 49–55.  
    ^ Bollinger, L. and Stover, J. (1999). The Economic Impact of AIDS (PDF). iaen. Retrieved on 2006-03-28. 
    ^ Over, M. (1992). "The macroeconomic impact of AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa, Population and Human Resources Department". The World Bank.  
    ^ Bonnel, R. (2000). "HIV/AIDS and Economic Growth: A Global Perspective". S. A. J. Economics 68 (5): 820–855.  
    ^ Bell, C., Gersbach, H. and Devarajan, S. (2003). The long-run economic costs of AIDS: theory and an application to South Africa. eldis. Retrieved on 2006-03-28. 
    ^ Mu Xuequan (2006). Zimbabwe launches world's first AIDS training package. xinhua. Retrieved on 2006-10-03. 
    ^ UNAIDS (2006). "The impact of AIDS on people and societies", 2006 Report on the global AIDS epidemic (PDF).  
    ^ Ogden, J. and Nyblade, L. (2005). Common at its core: HIV-related stigma across contexts (PDF). International Center for Research on Women. Retrieved on 2007-02-15. 
    ^ a b c Herek, G. M. and Capitanio, J. P. (1999). AIDS Stigma and sexual prejudice (PDF). Am. Behav, Scientist. Retrieved on 2006-03-27. 
    ^ Snyder M, Omoto AM, Crain AL. (1999). "Punished for their good deeds: stigmatization for AIDS volunteers". American Behavioral Scientist 42 (7): 1175–1192.  
    ^ a b Herek GM, Capitanio JP, Widaman KF. (2002). "HIV-related stigma and knowledge in the United States: prevalence and trends, 1991–1999" (PDF). Am. J. Public Health. 92 (3): 371–377.  
    ^ Herek, GM, Widaman, KF, Capitanio, JP (2005). "When sex equals AIDS: Symbolic stigma and heterosexual adults’ inaccurate beliefs about sexual transmission of AIDS" (PDF). Social Problems. 52 (1): 15–37.  
    ^ United States Health Resources and Services Administration. Stigma and HIV-AIDS, A review of the literature. HRSA. Retrieved on 2006-03-24. 
    ^ CDC (1981). Pneumocystis Pneumonia — Los Angeles. CDC. Retrieved on 2006-01-17. 
    ^ Zhu, T., Korber, B. T., Nahmias, A. J., Hooper, E., Sharp, P. M. and Ho, D. D. (1998). "An African HIV-1 Sequence from 1959 and Implications for the Origin of the Epidemic". Nature 391 (6667): 594–597. PubMed DOI:10.1038/35400.  
    ^ Kolata, G.. "Boy's 1969 death suggests AIDS invaded U.S. several times", The New York Times, 1987-10-28. Retrieved on 2006-06-19.  
    ^ Hooper, E. (1997). "Sailors and star-bursts, and the arrival of HIV". BMJ 315 (7123): 1689–1691. PubMed.  
    ^ Reeves, J. D. and Doms, R. W (2002). "Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 2". J. Gen. Virol. 83 (Pt 6): 1253–1265. PubMed.  
    ^ Keele, B. F., van Heuverswyn, F., Li, Y. Y., Bailes, E., Takehisa, J., Santiago, M. L., Bibollet-Ruche, F., Chen, Y., Wain, L. V., Liegois, F., Loul, S., Mpoudi Ngole, E., Bienvenue, Y., Delaporte, E., Brookfield, J. F. Y., Sharp, P. M., Shaw, G. M., Peeters, M., Hahn, B. H. (2006). "Chimpanzee Reservoirs of Pandemic and Nonpandemic HIV-1". Science Online 2006-05-25. PubMedDOI:10.1126/science.1126531.  
    ^ Cohen, J. (2000). "Vaccine Theory of AIDS Origins Disputed at Royal Society". Science 289 (5486): 1850–1851. PubMed.  
    ^ Curtis, T. (1992). "The origin of AIDS". Rolling Stone (626): 54–59, 61, 106, 108.  
    ^ Hooper, E. (1999). The River : A Journey to the Source of HIV and AIDS, 1st, Boston, MA: Little Brown & Co, 1–1070. ISBN 0-316-37261-7.  
    ^ Worobey M, Santiago ML, Keele BF, Ndjango JB, Joy JB, Labama BL, Dhed'A BD, Rambaut A, Sharp PM, Shaw GM, Hahn BH (2004). "Origin of AIDS: contaminated polio vaccine theory refuted". Nature 428 (6985): 820. PubMed.  
    ^ Berry N, Jenkins A, Martin J, Davis C, Wood D, Schild G, Bottiger M, Holmes H, Minor P, Almond N (2005). "Mitochondrial DNA and retroviral RNA analyses of archival oral polio vaccine (OPV CHAT) materials: evidence of macaque nuclear sequences confirms substrate identity". Vaccine 23: 1639–1648. PubMed.  
    ^ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2004-03-23). Oral Polio Vaccine and HIV / AIDS: Questions and Answers. Retrieved on 2006-11-20. 
    ^ Scanlon, Jim. (June 1999) The Coastal Post. Did Transplanted Chimpanzee Testicles Start AIDS Epidemic in 1920s? (reviewing a letter in the April, 1999 issue of the scientific journal Nature) 
    ^ Duesberg, P. H. (1988). "HIV is not the cause of AIDS". Science 241 (4865): 514, 517. PubMed.  
    ^ Papadopulos-Eleopulos, E., Turner, V. F., Papadimitriou, J., Page, B., Causer, D., Alfonso, H., Mhlongo, S., Miller, T., Maniotis, A. and Fiala, C. (2004). "A critique of the Montagnier evidence for the HIV/AIDS hypothesis". Med Hypotheses 63 (4): 597–601. PubMed.  
    ^ Cohen, J. (1994). "The Duesberg phenomenon" (PDF). Science 266 (5191): 1642–1644. PubMed.  
    ^ Various (2006-08-13). HIV Science and Responsible Journalism. Seminar at the XVI International AIDS Conference. Kaiser Family Foundation. Retrieved on 2006-06-19. 
    ^ Various. Controversy. Retrieved on 2006-06-19. 
    ^ Cohen, J. (1994). "The Controversy over HIV and AIDS". Science 266 (5191): 1642–1649.  
    ^ Various. Focus on the HIV-AIDS Connection: Resource links. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Retrieved on 2006-09-07. 
    Dr. Bengy
  12. repda916

repda916 New Member

May 13, 2007

irKevLar New Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Why are you even asking? No one, regardless of education, can tell you exactly what is causing your pain without the proper tests.
    I'm an EMT-IV student (almost done) but with what little knowledge I have it is easy to describe what is affected by arm trauma:
    The Human body has 14 finger bones (Phalanges), 5 palm bones (Metacarpals), 8 wrist bones (Carpals), 2 Forearm bones (Ulna + Radius), and an elbow joint connecting those to the upper arm bone (Humerus). Tendons connect muscles to bone and ligaments connect bone to bone. Also the peripheral nervous system runs throughout your arm.
    Your Mechanism of Injury is direct force trauma; a closed extremity injury. This can result in a fracture, dislocation, sprain, strain, and/or nerve damage.
    Nothing else can be determined without someone actually inspecting your arm and taking an x-ray.
    If you're going to go to the doctor in the morning splint it before you go to bed. If the arm feels best strait then splint it that way. If they pain is at the elbow make sure the splint secures above and below the joint. Search google for proper techniques and picture tutorials.

cliff: go to the fucking doctor; gtfo intarweb
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.