A&P Any digicam close to dslr quality...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by negative zero, Jul 3, 2006.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

besides dslr?

I do not know alot about settings, etc. and this is just for a pic here and there. But I do want it to be very good quality. If I like it and stick with it I can keep it for a spare and then go dslr later down the line.

What are my best options other than dslr? I've got one in mind but want to hear opinions first.
    Thanks.

2. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Canon PowerShot Pro1
    Nikon Coolpix 8800
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30
    Sony DSC-R1

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

if you want something that comes fairly close to DSLR, you'll end up paying for one that is just shy of being cheaper than a DSLR so just go for it.

The Canon S2 IS and the Sony R1 (i believe) are one of the top rated non-dslr cameras with close to SLR quality.

4. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

DSLRs don't give you higer quality automagically, so what do you mean by "DSLR quality"?

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks for the input. The one I have been kinda considering is the Canon S3IS. Not a big fan of Sony (proprietary memory sticks) but I know they have some pretty good ones.

00Soul - I'll do a search on those specific models.

Jonny- I know that dslr's, in the right hands, take great photos. I alos know that a $150 hp (for example) does not take pictures that compare to a dslr. Therefore I want something that has the ability to take a picture which would come as close to dslr qualtiy as possible.
    Make sense?

6. Jonny Chimpo

Not really. Any 4MP+ camera with a relatively decent lens will take a good picture in the right hands just like any 8MP+ DSLR with a $1k lens will take a shitty picture in the hands of Tomash. Many people these days seem to think if they blow $500 or more on a camera they will suddenly be the next Ansel Adams or James Nachtwey.

I've seen stunningly good photos out of a 3MP Olympus point and shoot. Canon, Nikon, and Sony all make some excellent point and shoot cameras. So when you say DSLR quality, what specifically do you have in mind, and how do you plan on using the camera?

Are you using it for low light/night shooting, sports, portraits, new baby snapshots....?? For example, if you plan on indoor sports photography then you'll want a camera that has low noise at higher ISO and probably an image stabilization system for the lens. Then your choices become narrowed to just a handful of models. Likewise if it's new baby snapshots you'll want control over the flash and whitebalance and possibly a hotshoe for a bounce flash.

But if your only requirement is "DSLR quality" then you can just go to Best Buy and ask a nearby blue shirt to point you toward the least expensive 8MP camera. Make sense?

7. hsubaru

hsubaru New Member

Werd.

Any of the new EVFs (non-single-lens-reflex SLR look-alike) will give you good quality pics. Almost as adjustable, too. Moreover, you can use the rear screen as the viewfinder! (Only a couple DSLRs have live-sensors for that).

Sony R1 is pretty nice, but pricey.

8. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Gotcha Jonny. I see both sides of your points. I would have to say I would like a mix of the two though. Definately some lowlight snapshots of my son (and child on the way). I also ride motocorss and have been known to take it out to the track fro some action shots.
    One reason I like the Sx IS series is the positive comments on the movie mode. That would come in handy out on the track to catch some decent actions without breaking out the camcorder.

9. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Fair question. Mainly because I know after spending ~500 on the cam and some memory that it will be a loooooong time before i can put any money into any other accessories. I just do not think I would be doing myself justice to go the dslr route. By the time I can put some money into more stuff I may be bored with this camera and want to step up to dslr anyways. Then I can have this one as a spare/backup. If I don't get into photography then I am out a smaller portion of $$$$.
    Plus, like I said earlier, i would like to have one with a movie mode. Just a personal preference.

10. hsubaru

hsubaru New Member

I don't blame you. Good lenses seem to START at $500, which kinda puts a damper on the whole experience.

11. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

I've seen great photos from low end p&s cameras; it's all in the user along with the photoshop skill. imo one of the best p&s for the money is the Canon S2 IS or the newer S3 IS.

12. Jonny Chimpo

I thought you only had three lenses though. :noes:

13. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

like 8 Shitmas !

14. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

very true...i'd just expect shot for shot that a DSLR would yield better quality shots. Im not saying its always the case though. and don't jump to details about people with DSLR's all of the sudden thinking their pro photographers...:nono: