any differences between mono and stereo audio cassette tapes?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nietsni3, Jan 10, 2005.

1. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

i am buying a cassette duplicator for a relative. but i am really illiterate about these stuffs or, in general, about audio. they have mono and stereo duplicators, and the price difference is really big. is there THAT much of a difference between mono and stereo sound quality on cassette tape? my relative will be primarly use the duplicator to copy some junk music tapes. and do you guys have any suggestion on a cheap and good duplicator? thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2005
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Listen to a mono cassette, and then listen to a stereo cassette. you decide.

personally, I can hear a huge difference between the two. What is your price range?

3. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

my budget is $200. a $150 unit or cheaper is preferable because shipping and handling fee may involve

a dumb question: when you put a stereo tape into a mono duplicator, all the sound channels or tracks would be copied over into the output tape, not just half of the number of channels/tracks, right? i mean it just integrated all the channels/tracks on the master tape into one channel/track on the output tape without missing anything (except the quality), right?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2005
  4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I got my Sony dual-deck for $110 locally (new w/warranty) so I'm sure you can find what you're looking for.

And yes, when copying a stereo tape in a mono duplicator, the channels are summed together.

5. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

is that Sony duplicator fast? cuz my relative is looking for something that can copy a 60min tape in 2 or 3 mins.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's like 2-4x... so not as fast as 2 or 3 mins.