GUN Any DFW shooters here? New shooter looking for advice.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SaviouR, Mar 24, 2010.

1. SaviouR

SaviouR Dallas - Choke City :(

Any DFW shooters here? New left handed shooter looking for advice.

Lurked this sub forum for the longest and been looking to join in sooner or later but I'm just testing different handguns right now. I'm looking for a handgun for concealed carry and plinking but the catch 22 is that I'm left handed. I know H&K make left handed handguns but they're above my price range of $650-$700 and on top of that all of the bells and whistles that'll run up the bill even more. The Springfield XD in 9mm tested favorably for me since it fits well into my small hand and stubby fingers and was a very comfortable caliber for me not to mention 9mm is cheaper than any other caliber out there.

Afterwards I handled an XDM and the grip felt greater than anything handled that day. It also looked like it was far more suitable for concealed carry so I'm wondering if any gun range in the Metroplex have that line on demo?

How much would it take to change out the stock grip for a coarser grip and how much would a rail mountable light run?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I would bet money that Bullet Trap in Plano has an XDm or two in their rental case. They have almost every model they sell available as a rental as well.

I don't believe there is any way to 'change out the grip' since it's a molded polymer frame (besides the factory backstraps of course). More than likely it would require doing the same thing Glock owners do and have the grip stippled or DIY. This will void any warranty more than likely though.

Rail mountable light ... Streamlight TLR-1 is my choice, but there are others. For a nice bright light at a good price, hard to beat the TLR-1:
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/streamlight-tlr1-weaponlight.html

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=82&products_id=368
    THT, a member here, owns MidwestPX... PM him and he may be able to hook you up on a TLR-1, but it looks like he is currently out of stock on them.

3. j1zzn1t

j1zzn1t OT Supporter

i have a TLR-1 on my XD-9, if you are interested we could meet up at Garland shooting range and you could try it.

4. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

M&P's can be configured for either left handed or right handed shooter.

5. SaviouR

After reading the archived threads in the subforum, how much should a used USP Compact should go for? A friend of mine actually owns one in .45 that he rarely shoots and I'd like to keep my options open.

6. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

They show up every once in a while on TexasGunTrader.com for $600-650

Like GlobeGuy said, you should check out the M&P as well....

7. TheHunter

TheHunter Unprofessional Lurker

USP Compact in this area seem to be rarer than hens teeth. I've been at every gun show for the last 2 months (Ft. Worth, Market Hall, Mesquite) looking for them. Screwed up royally and failed to get one from Summit that was up for $545.

Gunbroker may be a better bet for you, but decent prices are few and far between even there.

8. SaviouR

Thanks but no thanks.

If there's a forum that's has all the info on the ranges/shops/gunsmiths/etc. around here it'd really help.

I'm all over the place with pistols but definitely want to try something from what you guys suggested. The catch 22 is what reputable ranges would you guys recommend that has a large selection of HKs to try? DFW Gun was a good experience and the guys were pretty helpful but if there's any recommendations (especially around the Arlington/Grand Prairie area) I'll consider it.

9. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/forum.php - info on all of the above
    http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php - lots of helpful folks here
    http://falarak.com/ranges.aspx - list of all area ranges, but call first as some of the info may be out of date.

I'll say it again... Bullet Trap in Plano. Make the drive. Seriously, I haven't seen another shop around that has as many rental guns as these guys (including HKs, Sigs, M&Ps, even Desert Eagles and a S&W 500) and their prices are not bad (as far as gun shop prices go). Range fees and ammo prices are a little high but gun prices are pretty good and they have a large case of consignment and used guns as well.