Any DBAs in here?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, May 23, 2003.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

What is a normal day like for you? I'm trying to get an understanding of your day-to-day operations and such. Which database engine does your company use? Any formal education for it, or did you go the certification route? Any other comments you'd like to make?

Thanks. :)

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'm playing with the idea of going the DBA route (after my web dev stint wears out or grows old).

My dad climbed the DBA ladder and is now a manager of a handful of DBAs and several other support folks. From the sounds of it, DBAs come in multiple flavors. You have your authentic DBA who is responsible for all things database server related - DB software install, backup, spec-ing, etc. You have DBAs specializing in replication and data recovery (my dad's specialty). You have application DBAs who do the actual software database design for applications (aka: setup a new database, and add tables, stored procedures, views, yet also write application code so they know what's at stake between the database and the application). I'm playing with the idea of jumping into an application database role.

You also have junior DBAs, who are kind of like DBA apprentices - you don't have the skills or the years of experience, but you're probably being mentored for a full DBA title. Then you have senior DBA - which from the looks of it, means you get a pretty nice salary and you really know your stuff.

If you're a really good DBA, the DBMS shouldn't matter too much (it would seem they matter based on knowing their quirks). At least, this is what I've seen from my dad as he went from DB2 to Sybase to a company using MS SQL (MS SQL v6 was based on Sybase - v7 a little less so, and SQL2000 just has more fixes and features). A switch from Oracle to MS SQL (or the other way around) could work from the sounds of it, but it would mean the DBA probably doesn't know all the quirks of that particular DBMS.

Although my perspective on all of this is from NE Ohio. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited: May 24, 2003
  3. KoukiS14

KoukiS14 New Member

I've been planning on going the DBA route, myself.. and I appreciate the question being posed.
    :cool:

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

As far as certs go, good luck...

Biggest thing you could have that will help is an actual college degree. It being in a computer field is even better. Although if you know your stuff, math degrees work well too (employer will see you can problem solve, which is what DBAs do).

It depends also on the manager.

At the company my dad is at, I won't even get the time of day with the one web manager (I'm still working on my college degree). The guy goes strictly off of degrees and certs. Although there's other managers (my dad included) who look at the skills you have and grill you in the interview. You either know your stuff or you don't (my dad finds it entertaining to catch those who toss stuff on their resume to look like they know their stuff, yet can't answer his valid real world questions - basically, he lets them dig their own hole).

If certs will bring you up to speed, then do it. A cert will only say you knew how to study for an exam. As long as you can prove you know your stuff, then life will be good.

5. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Thanks Astro. :cool: I'm still in college as well and at least plan on going throughout my MS. I've just been doing so much of the application database role you mentioned above, I was thinking about going for a contract doing that in the upcomming months.

6. KoukiS14

KoukiS14 New Member

Yes, I appreciate the insight as well Astro. .
    I have a long f'n road, however haha
    Will be :cool: