A&P Any darkroom masters here?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TtamNedlog, Oct 27, 2007.

1. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Here is a print I'm working on in my film photography class:

[​IMG]

I'm trying to work out the kinks. I was trying to prevent the eye area from being extra dark by dodging out an eye shape in my palm beforehand. I then just guessed at where I dodged and tried to put my eye there, but as you can see I was a bit low. So not only did my eye turn out dark, but the dodge spot on the hand is clearly visible along the top of the eye.

Any tips on how I would be able to dodge out an area on my hand, and then be able to place my eye on that same spot? Or is this way too complicated and I should just settle for a dark eye? For my next attempt I think I will dodge out a smaller area, and then just make sure my eye is bigger than that. Maybe I can at least keep the white of the eye, ya know, white.

2. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

3. kristin

kristin my dog > *

The way we used to do it when I was in a photography class was make a print of what you want to dodge, so the hand, and use that and cut a hole in it... Then with the enlarger, put the eye in the exact spot you want it. Then use the piece you cut out of the hand as the piece used to dodge the hand. To get it in the right spot, just set it in the hole and lift up on the bigger piece that had the hole in it. It'll be in just the right spot if you do it just right :dunno:

4. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Snap! That just might do the trick. I briefly thought of something like that, but dismissed the idea for reasons I can't remember. I'll give it a shot!

5. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i like to masturbate in a dark room.... do i count?