any computer science majors with master degrees?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D1G1T4L, Dec 20, 2006.

1. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

Just wondering how hard was it to get your master degree? What kind of projects/classes did you have to do/take? What kind of new positions did this open up to you? (hows the increase in pay?)

2. samm

samm Next in Line

I have a M.S. degree in computer engineering, not hard to get at all. It required 30 credits (21 class, 9 research) and a thesis research project supervised by three faculty members.

Not sure about the increase in pay, try checking with your school's career services office since they probably keep those statistics.

3. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

from what i've seen in the industry as far as job positions is comparing straight out of school is somewhere around $7-10k/year difference between a bachelors and masters. If you're getting a technical masters/phd degree it opens you up to more research type positions than straight programming/hardware design.

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I'll be getting my BS in CIS in May
    Masters > BS :wtc:

5. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Paywise, most of my coworkers w/ masters started a bit higher (5-10k) but I was able to pass most of them within a year. Since changing jobs, I'm 20-25% above what my former coworkers w/ masters are making since they didn't leave. Still a bit lower than some of my current coworkers but I'm only 6 months into my 2nd year.

Masters opens you up to more research jobs but work experience gets your salary up almost as quickly.

I took several masters courses...nothing that difficult compared to undergrad. It's just more team based project courses and advanced theory. Just the opportunity to do research and 30 credits exclusively in a concentration of your choice. If I had the money/time it'd be something worth considering but I'd rather get an MBA and go for project management.

6. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

MBA sounds like a good idea after talking to several people

What kind of project management can the person be doing with MBA and BS in CS? Can you go into more details

7. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

It'd be more of a jump start for middle management than anything else. Natural progression within software engineering is developer -> team lead -> project manager -> team manager -> director. Getting to a lead/management role just means more dealing w/ the customer, building schedules, and design rather than deep coding. More involved you are w/ the customer, the less likely you will get your job offshored.

I actually have a 2nd undergrad degree in Econ so I'm interesting in keeping myself flexible enough to move toward financial software development given the massive debt incurred getting that degree from a top school.