Any Comp Sci majors care to share some info?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ProdigyDub, Sep 27, 2003.

1. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub The greatest trick the devil ever pulled

I'm at UT-Austin and thinking about transferring into the CS department. Right now I'm in RTF which is a pretty damn competitive place to be, at least at UT...but I dunno if it's for me.

I know nobody can really speak for whats in my best interest, but if there are any CS majors out there (from any college) that might care to share some of their likes/dislikes of their school's CS program, and just the major and its material in general....id appreciate that a lot.

2. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Comp Sci is a PITA. Calc, Physics... I got a job after my first semester and the classes became annoying, since I was learning a lot more at work about software engineering, on top of that I was really busy, so I stopped going. One of these days I gotta finish a degree, but I am dreading it.

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Just out of curiosity what is RTF?

4. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub The greatest trick the devil ever pulled

Radio-TV-Film

5. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

It is one of those things you have to be "cut out" for I believe, if you think you can be good at programming and enjoy it then go for it. I am graduating this year with a BS in CS.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:bigthumb:

Wtg and congrats.
    I am as well. :big grin:

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

As my Assembler prof told us, if you're in computer science for anything but the love of it, the industry will spit you out in 1-3 years. So if you're in it for the money, you may find you will get burned out and looking to try something else.

Computer science I think is the Swiss Army Knife of computer related degrees. You should be able to use it to get into just about any computer related job. But if programming isn't for you, there are a couple other flavors like MIS or CIS.

I'm currently hung up on caculus. I'm figuring once I get past my 1 year of calc, the rest of comp sci should be fun. I managed to escape having to take hardcore sciences class like physics. It looks like I managed to escape gym or whatever they're calling it.