MMA Any comments on Wing Tsun?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by AJC13B, Jan 29, 2006.

1. AJC13B

AJC13B Whats a nubian?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Tsun

I am a big guy (6'4 330lbs) and reading through the cage I have seen quite a few mentions of big guys struggling with the floor techniques of BJJ, so I was looking for something with more stand up options.

Having a gym close by my house is a bonus :bigthumb:

I dont want to compete or anything like that, just increase fitness and self defense.

Thoughts or comments?

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I would say that your size shouldn't affect your ability to practice BJJ too much

Wing Chun is okay, not sure how practical it really is though if self defense is your goal

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

For self defense and fitness I'd suggest Krav Maga. Just make sure the instructor is certified and that they have a sparring class

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I reccomend losing weight and taking up BJJ. There's no healthy advantage to being 330 at 6'4"... If you're interested in fighting for self-defense, then you should be equally interested in overall health and self-preservation (why else would you want to defend yourself if not to protect your health?).

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

start running.
    Running is the most important skill you will develop when trying to defend yourself.

6. AJC13B

AJC13B Whats a nubian?

Did you mean it shouldnt effect my ability or it will?

Edit: There is a place about half an hour away that has regular KM classes :bigthumb:

That should go onto a motivational poster or something.

Leave the weight loss to me, Im asking for comments on MA here, not my lifestyle choice. Im working on not being a fat bastard, but I will always be a big bastard.

Ok! :bigthumb:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  7. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Yes, I meant it shouldn't affect your ability..sorry, typo.

8. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

most of the WC I've seen comes off as very limited, innefective, and very VERY closed minded about any techniques outside WC

9. AJC13B

AJC13B Whats a nubian?

Is there much difference between Wing Tsun and Wing Chun? I understand Tsun is a decendant of WC, just wondering how close Tsun is to its original form?

10. JustGod

JustGod New Member

I haven't heard good things, but who knows, maybe the school by you is the exception. Have you thought about kick-boxing or something around those lines?

11. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I think most places will give you a free or very cheap introductory lesson whether its kickboxing, wing chun, etc. I say take as many as you can and stick with the one that you are most impressed with. If you do decide on the Krav Maga place just make sure they have a sparring or "fight" class atleast once a week.

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:dunno: Nobody's calling any names or trying to motivate you to change your lifestyle. You asked a question about which martial art would be best for you, expressing an interest in BJJ. If you want to pursue an art then you should choose that art and do what you have to do to be able to. Settling for something you're less sure about might not give you the same results you are hoping to achieve with BJJ.

13. Maestro Nobones

while a VT/VC/WC/WT/?? guy will tell you different, there is virtually no difference in the different variations. They are just different lineages that each claim to be the TRUE wing chun

14. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

Wing tsun/chun concepts are ergonomically efficient, and excellent for close quarters. I don't like thier kicks but overall i love the art. I'd say it's very practical (not as practical as kickboxing) and an understanding of the concepts can help you out in your other arts as well.

15. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

^It's the same. Just different ways of spelling it.
    Wing Chun is going to take a crapload of practice to get it to actually help your self defense. Lots of parrying and trapping, which is awesome if you can pull it off. Honestly though, for a guy your size, I'd suggest something else, seeing as Wing Chun was made by a woman who probably weighed like 110 max and is geared toward smaller people. Krav Maga can be quite good if you find the right instructor. American Ninjutsu works good too for street style situations. If you really want self defense look up Tony Blauer and the people at www.senshido.com. Good reality based stuff.

Personally, I like Jeet Kune Do, but good luck finding a place that is worth taking it from.

16. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

never heard a single good thing about it, we have a WC club in our school that does not practice live...

17. Maestro Nobones

I will toss in a vote for any tony blauer affiliated gym. his shit is really good.

18. AJC13B

AJC13B Whats a nubian?

I thought about kick boxing. My personal trainer has done kick boxing for 12 years so we are starting to incorporate some of that stuff into our training sessions.

Both the Krav and Wing Tsun place close by have intro lessons for free. The Krav one is 4 hours and during business hours :ugh:

The Wing Tsun one is tonight so I might go check them out.

Sorry mate, wasnt having a dig at you ;) Just letting you know that the weight is something I am dealing with already :bigthumb:

Im looking for a BJJ place near by to go and check out

Will check senshido out and see if there is anything locally, thanks :bigthumb:

19. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Your Krav intro class won't be 4 hours long. They are supposed to go by one hour sessions. Usually people can't last more than an hour or so. The actual "belt test" (they don't use belts, its just to make the curriculum more structured) lasts 4 hours and is done on weekends.

20. AJC13B

AJC13B Whats a nubian?

I just re-read the page that I got that from. Its the induction class if you want to attend regular classes thats 4 hours, not the intro class :bigthumb:

21. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Are you sure thats not for people who want to start off later on in the curriculum?

22. cubrew

cubrew New Member

I've been training wing chun for awhile, and the stuff is just as practical as any other striking art I've seen. Based on relaxed energy and economy of motion, you start learning effective punching and blocking techniques usually from day 1. Size doesn't seem to be much of a factor in our school, as we have a couple guys close to your size who are just as good as anyone else in the school short of our Sifu. Out of curiosity, what lineage is the system you're looking at?

23. Maestro Nobones

what kind of ground work does your lineage train? how much sparring do you do?

24. AJC13B

AJC13B Whats a nubian?

One thing I have learnt the past few days is that the front on stance of Wing Chun is a weakness as far as power generation goes. You cant really swing a punch with square shoulders can you? Just my uneducated observation.

http://www.wingtsuncastlehill.com is the place I was checking out.

A good friend of mine has done Shodokan/Kyokushin for 20 odd years. he showed me a couple of moves last night and I was very impressed. Just wrist locks and joint/muscle manipulation type of things, but good all the same. he suggested a local school with a good reputation, I might go and check it out.

25. cubrew

cubrew New Member

ah, but swinging punches are counter to wing chun's centerline philosophy. this is where part of the economy derrives. by controlling the centerline, you minimize the amount of movement you have to do to control a sizeable amount of energy being directed at you. striking down the center can also be much quicker than from the side. if you are generating a lot of power in your punches, it is that much more easily that the power could be used against you if you don't know how to relax when you make contact. that is where the front stance really aids. although i've been happy with the system, if wing chun's not doing it for you, definitely find something else that does.

in regards to your questions maestro, i have not seen any ground work short of foot/leg traps and sweeps. i also have not seen any free sparring as part of the system, but some of the advanced two person drills start in arms distance of each other and try to find openings to move the other back, and consequently learn to take hits. sometimes on friday nights or other laid back training sessions we'll have some free sparring options, which are a good time, and it is usually up to the participants to design rules on when to stop, such as once three strikes have landed in a row.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006