Any chest tips?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ep, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ep

Ep Guest

Started working out 2 years ago, was doing the sticky routine but was definitely too much isolation and IMO work load for such a small guy. Eventually moved on to Starting strength and saw much better results and obviously my lifts went up very consistently.

I stopped for a year for a couple of reasons and I'm back in the gym. Definitely seeing great results with everything but chest. It's getting more defined but I'm just not seeing it flatten out like I'd like. It looks pretty silly compared to my arms and my shoulders. Is there anything I can do while still doing Starting strength to work my chest properly? I've been doing weighted dips on bench day.

thanks!

2. quamen

quamen New Member

I beleive that if you have a lagging body part, the only way to bring this part up to par is to hit it more than once a week. You can also do sets of this body part between exercises so you get in alot more sets then usual.

3. Ep

Ep Guest

Yeah, starting strength is

squats, bench, deads

squats, military, pendlay rows

alternating, so I hit chest once or twice a week ( Although flat bench isn't the best for building chest mass) Perhaps I should do sets of push ups afterward.

Or do sets push ups on off days but not to failure (don't want to screw up my bench the next day.

4. Ep

Ep Guest

really just looking for a "when" to do it answer. Will 2x sets of weighted dips be enough after bench in between rows, or should I look to do something else? Push ups on off days a good idea?

5. devman

devman New Member

You need to be more specific about the problem. You said you want your chest to flatten out, if stubborn fat is the problem then the best way to fix it is to reduce your bodyfat.

6. Ep

Ep Guest

Fat is definitely not my problem

I'm 146 pounds and probably 6-8% body fat. Obviously my chest just needs to get BIGGER and it will eventually flatten out. But it looks ridiculous with my big shoulders I got from rock climbing. There is too much space between the pecs, it pisses me off

I guess I'm just comparing myself to my friend who doesn't bench anymore than me but he has a MUCH bigger chest. It might be the fact that he's 3-4 inches shorter than me and maybe genetics as well. I'm just wondering if I can do anything extra as benching 1-2 a week only can't be optimal for chest size. I guess he just got lucky (he does starting strength as well). The whole point of starting strength is to go up 5 pounds every gym day and it's all compound lifts.

so push ups after bench? weighted dips after? push ups on off days? incline bench after flat?

7. Ep

Ep Guest

8. devman

devman New Member

if you weigh 146 pounds you just need to focus on getting bigger and stronger dont worry about minor details

9. quamen

quamen New Member

dont worry how much is enough, your done when you cant do any more. I feel to many people put a set number of sets in their heads, reps etc and your mind quits before your body does. If you want to get your chest bigger, it is not that hard. Hit the bench hard and give it all you got. Plus at that weight, your not going to get big period, keep eating, sleep and train hard.

10. it might be genetics but for me chest has always been the easiest muscle to train and develop. All you need are 3 exercises, once or twice a week I don't know if it matters.

4-5 sets of flat bench 6-8 rep range
    3-4 sets of incline bench 6-8 rep range
    3 sets of weighted chest dips 6-8 rep range

that workout would take me like 30 minutes

One of the most important things to pay attention to is time between sets. Try to wait no longer than 1-1.5 minutes between sets. If you're waiting longer than that now you'll probably have to use a little less weight than before. Key is to check your ego at the door, don't worry about the weight you lift. Proper form is very important for chest development.

11. Ep

Ep Guest

thanks for the words of encouragement guys. With the starting strength, rest between sets can go up to 5 minutes because the goal of the entire program is to increase weight on compounds significantly, about 30 pounds a month each. So it isn't the greatest for size although I find it helps my body grow a lot more than isolation work (at the moment).

Perhaps I will throw in a couple of sets of incline and weighted dips after bench. Something in the 8-10 rep range as opposed to the 5 I'm doing with SS

12. quamen

quamen New Member

at the size you are now, you shouldnt be worried about the isolation movements. Isolation movements are great when you have achieved a good shape and gained weight, then it will be time to chisel your physique with the isolation movements. i would stick the basics, flat bench, squats, dead lifts, Arnold presses, military presses,pull ups, chin ups etc until you can size then perfect. Also i really think you shouldn't compare your chest to your friends, or be in competition with anyone else. If you can have a mental image of what you want your body to look like, this will give you a goal and the determination to keep working out as you progress. I have realized this has been a very important part of my training, besides the dieting and working out, is the mental part of it.

13. Thoth

Thoth OT Supporter

so this is not you? i didnt think so because that is not 6-8% bodyfat. i highly doubt you are either, post up some pics of you so we can judge it ourselves

14. Ep

Ep Guest

I'm probably not, that was just a guess. Whatever skinny as fuck is, that's what I am. I'll post a picture tomorrow or so I have work and then I'm out for the night.

Yeah he's not low body fat I know. He drinks whole milk everyday and eats like cold cut sandwiches. I tell him not to but he's stubborn just like me

15. Ep

Ep Guest

Absolutely, I'm not jealous of him at all. I think my physique would be perfect (in my opinion) if I just had a bigger/flatter chest. I like my height and I have no desire to be overly muscular. I deem other things in my life a little more important. That pic was just a reference which can be compared to my joke of a chest. Thanks for the replies

16. Ep

Ep Guest

17. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

you're 146lbs and wonder why you have a small chest? :rofl:

do this
    1: eat lots of steak
    2: lift heavy weights for lots of reps
    3: lots of compound movements
    4; repeat for 2 years
    5: ???
    6: profit

18. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

2 years? i was thinking 5+

19. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

i think gt means if you lift 2years with a strict diet and all that shit

20. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

well he wont look like Marcus Ruhl in 2 years but if he does it right could easily put on 20-30ish pounds of quality mass in 2 years at his weight.

21. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

22. quamen

quamen New Member

alright not trying to be mean ,but i wouldnt even be concerned with just focusing on your chest because your small. From the pic you need to just get started with lifting the weights, and adjust your lifestyle if you want to become fit. I would start doing some compound movement, eating as much good food as you can, and increase your protein level

23. Mass

Mass Active Member

also, never forget that the most hypertrophy occurs during the eccentric phase of the lift, you are better off doing a heavy weight with a 2-3 sec eccentric phase and doing 5-6 reps than doing a faster style rep scheme with less eccentric time and banging out more reps.

24. Ep

Ep Guest

I know I have to get bigger in general, but I was just curious why his chest looks the way it does compared to mine when he doesn't lift much more or any differently than I do. Guess it's just body type

Actually that "tribal piece" is metalocolypse or whatever that cartoon metal show is haha. Yeah I'm not a fan of it at all but whatever

25. Ep

Ep Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.