Any chance Vodafone would force Verizon

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YelloWRX, Oct 23, 2004.

1. YelloWRX

YelloWRX Sonic Yellow...Bitch!

into GSM in the US?

I was looking at their ww network and it's pretty extensive, they own 49% of Vzw and they don't even have a 'preferred roaming partner' in the worlds largest mobile market.

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

that would be a major overhaul of their entire network/phones. they're sitting pretty where they are right now with the largest digital coverage in america. for them to decrease their coverage would be a big mistake

3. YelloWRX

YelloWRX Sonic Yellow...Bitch!

Gradually?

Offer dual mode phones in the US for a few years wile the infrastructure is migrated...etc....

The more I reay about GSM the more I like it.

Or do you think a more likely scenario is that they would dump their share in Vzw and make a bid for another US GSM carrier? Cingular?

4. oakie

oakie my ninja.

we will always have two competing standards, since GSM is the world standard and CDMA has been the leading US technology for the past 20 years with a well established network.

CDMA is also the leading standard in Asia, where Vodafone also has a significant investment. so the standard will continue to live and advance wihtout the need for the world to all migrate to GSM.