Any chance of restoration?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Error, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Error

Error ¿ti†le øut-of_order

I'm gonna try. I'm stubborn and stupid. I hit it by hand with a cutter, and it did a little help... I'm gonna go ape shit with a heavy pad and try to do some major work on it. Think I'll wetsand the peeling clearcoat. There's gotta be something salvageable. Hell, even to make it less embarrassing while I restore the rest of it.

Any tips? I know there's some shine left in this thing.

The white apparently does kinda sorta try to come off by hand... only a heavy ass-whuppin will tell. Personally, I think it's fucked, but it's worth a shot.

[​IMG]

Oh, backstory... girl owned it for 16 years and NEVER ONCE WAXED IT!!! I don't think she EVER washed it either. It was BUTT NASTY.

I bought it for a thousand bucks. Drivetrain is in excellent condition. Drives great!

2. NEGROTIATOR

NEGROTIATOR New Member

That cannot be saved. In order to get any shine you have to repaint.

3. Error

Figured as much. I'm still gonna give it a shot, since I haven't the time to paint it for a while.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Repaint. The basecoat does not shine unless it has a clearcoat over it. Probably run you $1500-2000 for a quality repaint. Definitely more if you had a larger car.

5. Error

That's what I figured. I figured I'd buff this down and make it less shitty for now until I can find the time to paint it. I'll be DIY'ing the paint. I don't let shops touch my cars. Luckily I've got a paint booth available to use anytime.

Only thing that confuses me is that the original red was NOT clearcoated, and this obviously is (there are signs of a repaint all around). Sounds like a cheap, crappy respray mixed with years of neglect. Figures.

Oh well, I got my thousand bucks worth :o

6. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

im willing to say machine compound+plus that condition of paint=something wirth at least trying to do....while you save up for a paintjob

:hsughno:

7. Scottwax

Won't work. The color coat in a clearcoat paint job has no shine on its own, no matter how much you might polish it.

8. Error

Yeah, but the original paint was not clearcoat. This is obviously a piss poor respray, but I've seen some non CC cars shine great.

Eh, it gives me something to do since I haven't the time to prep and paint it until summer at least.

9. Scottwax

You see non-clearcoated cars that shine great because they have a single stage paint job that isn't dependent on a clear coat for the shine. You are comparing apples and oranges.

10. Error

Thanks for the clarification :cool:

11. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

yeah, you may not want to try anything on it if you do plan on repainting it, youll just end up fucking the painter over and causing him alot of headaches which will probably end up in costing you alot more