Any Cali people have experience with Cali BAR referees?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by -=SoCalV6=-, Dec 13, 2003.

1. -=SoCalV6=-

-=SoCalV6=- Guest

To make a long story short, my luck finally ran out and I was pulled over last night by CHP, for having a "loud exhaust". It ended up with Two Violations VC: 27150 (A): Exhaust mod and 27156 (B): Smog mods.

Basically he said the Adj. FPR was illegal (I knew that) and my silicone hoses were illegal. Good thing he didnt' see my window tint, V-AFC, Breather Filter. The rest of my mods have CARB Numbers (Headers/Intake/Wires) or are from OEM vehicles (CL-S Intake Plenum). But the violations are general, so I plan to put the things he cited back to stock since he didn't "note" the specific parts that were modified besides the exhaust.

In anycase, I have to call BAR to setup an inspection. Should I gut the V-AFC just in case?

I plan on putting a stock FPR on and stock hoses, but the exhaust stays, as I'm gonna get legal documentation of its legality.

And how much in Fines are we talking here? If they notice other things, do I have the option to replace/repair or will I have to do that AND pay fines?

Thanks.

2. logikbomb

logikbomb Who's there? Cuz you're gonna get nothin but holes

I'm from CA but I haven't been harrassed so I can't give you advice. Just outta curiosity, what exhaust do you have on there?

3. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Dude, that's BS......what the hell do they think silicone hoses are gonna do to emissions?

4. -=SoCalV6=-

-=SoCalV6=- Guest

I have the Tanabe Hyper Medallions, which aren't loud at all, especially when it comes to a lowkey six cylinder. I've had them on my car for almost 4 years now and never had problems. I think he personally just used that as an "excuse" to get me over and to cite me for other things. That's the easiest thing for cops to do, and they're not required to have a decibal meter to actually determine whether your exhaust is too loud or not. If it looks aftermarket, it's potentially illegal.

As for the silicone hoses, his excuse was that fuel could potentially burst out of the hoses. I was like to myself "WTF??" Silicone hoses aren't MEANT TO BE USED for fuel lines. And I clearly told him, "Those are only being used for vacuum lines and coolant." And he was quick to cut in and say "No, I see you're using them for fuel, blah blah blah." "And I was like, sorry sir, but I'm not using them- and he just cut me off, and was like, well that's ok, you can disagree".

I wasn't about to get into an argument because I didn't want him to turn into an asshole. Believe it or not, he was actually civil about the whole affair, and I've seen other cops be 100 times worse saying they can site you for low tire pressure, etc. just to be assholes. I didn't have my license plate on for instance, and I was like "FUUUCK!!" when he noticed it. Luckily I had just put in grille pieces on my front end, and had the license plate in the back, and zip ties in my car, so I immediately put it on while he wrote up the ticket. He helped shine light for me and took off the license plate missing violation.

So yea, I've never been pulled over by cops in the almost 5 years I've owned this car and with nearly 5 years of modifications. My luck ran out. Wrong place at the wrong time.

5. jewpac42

jewpac42 New Member

I have that same exhaust. It is not that loud and should not be illegal. As for the other things, I was unaware the silicone hoses affected emissions so they should not require a CARB number. I would gut the V-AFC becuase you will get sigted and fined for that, but everything else should be ok as long as it either 1) doesn't affect emissions, or 2) has a CARB number.

6. -=SoCalV6=-

-=SoCalV6=- Guest

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to do that.

As far as the Silicone hoses go, If you're using them for say, the vacuum line on the FPR, and for some reason it ends up coming off/breaking, then the no vacuum signal would increase fuel pressure and increase CO emissions. However, considering Silicone is considered BETTER because it won't become brittle/rot like rubber does, I wouldn't see this happening. But you know how the Law is, they want everything to be OEM on cars. I can always put them back to silicone once I get done with the inspection, just put the rubber hoses on for now and put them back to silicone afterwards.

As for the v-AFC, yea I guess that'll have to come out but I'm definitely not gonna keep it out. F'that, especially now that they have those Frog Wiring harnesses now that can plug in between the PCM and the existing Wiring Harness so you don't have to tear it up your existing wiring harness.

7. jewpac42

jewpac42 New Member

Yah, put the V-AFC in after the inspection. But if they ever catch you with it and write you up for it, take it out and leave it out. You will get mega-fiucked if they write you up, dont find it, then pull you over again and find it.