MMA Any Cage Members ever had a Concussion

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sylva, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Has anyone else ever had a concussion. I had one about a 7-8 months ago. I have no real lasting effects from it, but now it's always seems to be on my mind a little when sparing. IT was a freak accident that caused it. And I have never had any problems like this before or after the one incident.

I guess im just asking if anyone else has had one, how it affected them. And if they approach fighting, sparring differently. And are you truly worried about it happing easier a second time b/c you had one.

If im being to vague just let me know, as a few questions.

2. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

I got one playing football, but never from wrestling/MMA/muay thai, and I've been popped hard and dumped headfirst many times. Everyone has different levels of susceptibility. Some can get one from a punch, while others need to ram into a solid object at full speed to suffer one. I think I fall into the latter group, so I don't worry so much. Multiple concussions are bad news, so if you get concussed easily, by all means wear headgear and a quality mouthpiece.

3. Sylva

Sylva New Member

I also believe that I don't get concussed easily, it was a STUPID trainning accident, that gave it to me. I have a good mouth piece and head gear. I guess it's just something I think about once and a while. I have never had problems before that incident, and have not had problems since.

as far as what the accident was, I was just doing technique with a new guy to our gym. He was trying to do armbars, but not use his hands so he could get hip movement down. He was a wrestler and really didn't know what slow or easy meant. I was just sitting in his guard, postured up slighly and boom he tries to swing is leg out as hard and as fast as he could and catches me right across the temple with his shin. Full force, me not expecting it or defending something like that at all.

I dind't get ko'd or anything like that, he'll I dind't even know anything was wrong till practice the next day. I got taken down and hit my head on the floor hard. Had a few memory problems and a concussion. But all is well now.

4. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

sounds like you got clocked. similar incident happened to me, but it opened up a 15 stitch cut on my brow. That does illustrate what a decent Thai kick would do to you, though.

5. Kuet

Kuet New Member

i got jumped and bottled in the back of the head when i was 20 ..... got the scar to remember it....
    yea it kinda sketched me out a little bit when id goof around with friends....
    and i had a huge headache for quite some time after the incident as well....
    plus i had to have someone wake me up evey hour at night to make sure i wasnt dead.... but i think thats standard procedure.

6. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Was training some gi throws at some club a long time ago and one of my partners had no clue what control meant and would throw me during the drills with every ounce of strength he had. One of them I get slammed too hard and I felt the whole place rotate over and over like a record that a DJ would scratch. And yes I know how to breakfall well but it does not help when the guy is much much heavier and does the throw wrong and hard.

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Yeah ive had 3 2 from football one from a headkick whilst sparring at training.
    Did not effect me 2nd one from football I was banned from playing for 3 weeks as both concussions where in the one season felt a bit crap the day after it but was training 100% 3 days after.

8. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I dunno, from you guys stories I'd probably remember it if I had a real one, so probably not.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

i've had two, one from wrestling and one from flying off my jetski and it hitting me in the head. you can't worry about getting hurt, just go out and do your thing man...

10. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Osoto Gari from a 250 pound black belter :(
    I was so fucked, the next 3 days were especially bad.

Judo class, "gentle way" my ass.

11. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

:sadwavey: ive been on the receiving end of many osoto garis as well

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

amazingly no... only time I've really been hit hard enough to get a concussion wasn't from fighting at all, it was when I slammed my face on the pavement last NYE at full sprint.

Broke my zygomatic arch, got a nice gash above the eye, and cut up th einside of my mouth good on my braces (thank god those bitches are off!)... I think my face absorbed the damage so the effect on the brain and such was minimal :rofl:

13. Maestro Nobones

god :ugh: I had braces TWICE and actively trained martial arts the duration of both. that shit fucking SUCKS.

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:werd: after a few times trying to spar with the mouth guard modified for braces I just said fuck it and went 2 years without getting hit in the face during sparring. It's kind of pointless that way :o, but at least it allowed me to keep interested in training.

15. Maestro Nobones

yeah I just toughed it out and got my lips sliced up all the time

16. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

wow. WOW. We call getting lumped or cut in training going home ugly. I just healed up from a 15 stitch gash over the brow, but reading that made me feel better. Any major scarring?

17. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Well I was semi-drunk and my night was ruined, so I just went to sleep at my friends house and didn't go to the hospital to get stitches, so I have a slight scar above my eye. It just looks like a red line on my skin, most don't notice it and I think it looks cool anyway :o

The worst part of it was I had a scheduled jaw surgery 12 days later which would result in 2 weeks of being wired shut and 2 weeks of having a splint in my mouth... Since my mouth had been cut so bad I couldn't eat for the first 10 days before surgery, which sucked absolute nuts... then after the surgery, my surgeon decided it would be best to keep me wired shut for a month because she removed loose bone fragments from my face that had shattered from the fall, and she also kept the splint on for a month as well... It sucked at the time but I laugh about it now cause I owned myself so hard.

18. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Be careful with those cuts on your brow I had 3 lots of stitches in the same cut

19. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:werd: I don't think the cut ever heals to normal skin strength... even a year after the cut (which healed fully after a month or so) that area is still a little sensitive to pressure compared with the other side.