MMA Any Cage Crew Boxers here?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by teep, Apr 3, 2008.

1. teep

teep New Member

So Cage Crew has some good MMA, BJJ, and muay thai guys, but are there any good boxers here? I'm talking just boxing, not kickboxing/muay thai. I'd love to pick your brain about some things before I go ahead and sign up for another gym.

2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I think im the closest thing to a real boxer here had a few Amat fights 7-0 record with 5 KOs but Im not a good boxer I just have fought boxers who were worse then me.

3. teep

teep New Member

Bad ass. I'll ask you then. Ok so,

not to toot my own horn or anything, but I have a pretty solid muay thai game. That's very traditional muay thai though. Translating that into MMA has been a bit of a struggle for me. In your experience do basic boxing fundamentals pay off in MMA or kickboxing? I really feel like the head movement and foot work you learn at a straight up boxing gym can add tons to my game. I can see transitions to take downs working very well if you add that to your skill set. Also I feel like just the hand skills you learn in boxing are at another level being that hands are the only thing you can use.

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

When you come to Bmore I'm going to kick you in the head so hard you will want to learn taekwondo.

5. teep

teep New Member

fucking tae kwon do black belt at age 12 son! I'll dragon kick you so hard your head is going to explode.

6. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Yeah for sure as a teenager I did TKD aswell as boxing competed in a fair few points and full contact tourneys and won alot mainly because of my hands.

I think MMA standup has moved away from a MT/KB standup game to more of a Boxing with leg kicks game. The big thing I have found I have over non boxers in MMA is my head movement you slip alot more punches in boxing then you do in kickboxing, which instead of you getting out of range if they throw a punch you are still in range to counter with whatever you want. Also you learn alot of good habits with footwork hands up chin down ect..

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Im more of an cresent kick fan.

8. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Another thing that mma and even the K-1 guys could benefit from boxing is more angles and body shots. I forget his name, but yesterday Grey Meynards opponent kept throwing punches at him while Maynard was standing still and with his hands way up protecting his head. Very hard for the other guy to land decent shot on his head from the front when Maynard is covering up like that. But if he had stepped off to the side he could have probably slipped in a shot or two or just hit him hard in the solar plexus.

9. Kuet

Kuet New Member

you remember grey maynard but not frank edgar? :hsugh: hello TUF :mamoru:

10. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

. lol

You needa watch Frankie Edgars fights bra, he's sick. Gray really did just bully the shit outta frankie, He looks so ridiculously huge for a 155er. Maybe frankie should drop to 145 or something cuz hes got some serious skills, it sucks to see him get thrown around like that.

Oh ya, and Black Belt by age 10 crew signing in.

11. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I've been watching since way before TUF but that was the first time I saw an entire Frankie Edgar fight. :o

12. you been watching the wrong fights

13. Kuet

Kuet New Member

no excuse.