Any AT&T DSL customers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by XEYEL, Jun 24, 2008.

1. XEYEL

XEYEL Guest

I'm considering moving to AT&T DSL from my current cable provider, Mediacom. I was reading about the DSL service on AT&T's site and they mentioned that customers get a dynamic IP address so that every time they "log in" to the Internet, they have a different IP. I have no problem with dynamic IP's, but what do they mean by "log in" to the Internet? I thought DSL was the same as cable in that you're always connected.

Also, they mentioned several software items that come with their service, such as pop-up blockers, SpamGuard, customizable browser, etc. This almost sounds like something AOL would do, installing all kinds of junk software that you don't need or want. Can I opt to not install ANY of this stuff and just use Firefox like I always have with my cable provider?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

DHCP issues an IP lease. at the end of the lease (typically 24 hours) it will try to renew the lease. It may get the same ip again, or it may not. Don't worry about it, as long as you're not trying to run a server.

Yes, you can use their service without installing their software. It is provided for users that want it (and many do) but there is no requirement that you must use it.

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

+1

Sometimes I've got the same IP for weeks at a time.

Their software is a hot useless mess with multiple reboots on install, do not even put the disc in.

And I'm content with AT&T/Yahoo/SBC/SNET whatever the fuck they call it now. Had only one problem in almost 3 years.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

do not install the software that comes with the modem. instead just call them up and say that you'll like to activate your account and you want to pick a username and password.

then you log into your modem, usually 192.168.0.1 and type in that info. that is your log in. in the past you would have to run a small pppoe program on your computer whenenever you wanted to go online, now in the info is store on your modem or it could be stored on your router also

the software they give you is crap. don't even put the cd in your computer. just tell them that it will not complete installation and you need to sign up manually.

if you have a router, turn on the firewall. if not, windows firewall should be fine. get avg free for antivirus. get adaware free for spyware. get firefox for a popup blocker.

i've had them for years, service is great. it might go down for a total of 10 minutes a year...

5. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I have Verizon DSL and it seems to operate the same way. My Linksys router stores my login information and signs me on. I don't even remember the username or password. Before I had the router, I had a Verizon "dailer" that would connect to the internet.

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I actually had a customer service person try to tell me that I had to install the disc, back when they were still SBC Yahoo DSL.

I told them where they could shove it.

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i got the same thing, i told them that my cdrom was broken

8. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

I have AT&T DSL. Works fine.

Yes, it's "always on" and no, you don't have to install the software.

9. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

We just got our ATT modem in the mail, canceling our comcast cable