MMA Any amateur fighters here?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by teep, Mar 11, 2006.

1. teep

teep New Member

I was just wondering if there were any amateur fighters that are on these boards. I'd love to get your advice on some things and see what promotions everyone has been in.

My questions are:
    What promotions have you fought in?
    How is the competition (experience/skill level of fighters)?
    What's your background and how long have you been training?

Thanks in advance.

2. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I will likely have a fight at Kicks in south east michigan. I train in some judo, boxing and muay thai, but I focus 80% on bjj.

3. teep

teep New Member

Oh thats cool. I'd love to have an amateur fight, but I don't think I'm anywhere near ready. I know it's something you ask you should ask your trainer, but I'm a bit of a journeyman in that I tend to go from place to place. I have about 5 years of wrestling experience, about a years worth (on and off) of bjj and muay thai, and some judo. My muay thai got pretty refined when I trained in Thailand and I'm pretty confident in my throws after training judo in Korea, but I really need to work on my boxing and sub defense.

4. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah maybe in another year or so

5. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Start training in an MMA gym or with guys that know what they are doing when it comes to mma. Putting together styles is as hard as learning one for many.

6. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

where's vulgartheclown? i haven't seen him in awhile

but he trains with ATT and has several fights under his (metaphoric) belt

7. teep

teep New Member

Sadly there are no MMA gyms accessible to me at school. We do have a muay thai/bjj club though which is really good. I've been working MMA with one of my friends whos trained with some great people like Hayoto Sakurai and Jeff Monson. And Placebo you're absolutely right. I've been learning how it's all about compromise. I can't stand like I do in muay thai, I can't shoot like I usually do in wrestling, I can't have someone in my guard without getting punched in the face....It's been fun though and it's a transition I think I'm making fairly smoothly.