GUN Any air rifle hunters in here?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hedger, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Hedger

Hedger OT Supporter

I live in a fairly "wooded" community and have a couple acres. When I'm not in west virginia or maryland hunting I'm usually just shooting my bow out back. I was thinking about picking up an air rifle to nag a couple squirrels for some good eatin':yum:

I would use the .22 but it's not legal here and could possibly upset the neighbors. I've been researching a few rifles and think I want to buy either the Gamo Viper, or the Gamo Varmint Hunter.

Does anyone have experience, or have any other reccomendations? I would pick up the Gamo Hunter Extreme because of its 1600fps velocity with PBA ammo but it's a little pricey.

EDIT:
    Pics of new air rifle posted below.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  2. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I have the Gamo varmint hunter. Fucking thing is badass. really bleeds the birds. I bought it for the same reason you're thinking.

3. Hedger

Hedger OT Supporter

Are the stock scope/flashlight/laser that are included any good? This was probably my next choice but I heard that the site rail is weird and won't accept other scopes. You try squirrel/rabbit hunting?

4. auto

auto New Member

It's usually best to toss the scope it comes with out and pick something up thats decent on the cheap.

5. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Cost me 75 total and I shoot quarter sized groups at 35 yards:

[​IMG]

6. Hedger

Hedger OT Supporter

I plan to have a similar setup but I prefer spring loaded compared to C02 due to increased cost and supposedly less accuracy towards the end of a bottle. Looks nice though! What make/model?

7. 8BaLL

8BaLL New Member

My Airforce Talon SS

[​IMG]

8. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

It's a crosman Repeatair 1077. It's definetly true that the accuracy goes down as the CO2 gets closer to being empty. Crosman sells a conversion to use the larger 88gram CO2 tanks instead of the 12gram ones.

The scope and bipod I got off ebay. Scope was 10 bucks shipped, bipod was 15 bucks shipped. The Air tank holder is a shotgun shell holder I got from Meijer for 3 bucks. The gun itself was 49.99 when I got it.

9. Hedger

Hedger OT Supporter

You came off pretty well for $75. I could imagine how much fun it would be to sit on a deck and just pop the crows off the roof. Damn things are so annoying.

10. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

That's the same rifle I had when I was 12 or so :bowdown:

11. Hedger

Hedger OT Supporter

You think you can grab the link of the seller that you bought the bipod from? I'm searching and all I can find is airsoft crap.

12. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I have about a 60yr old Benjamin pump .22 that will do that sort of job. Only iron sights but it's very accurate. Anyway, pumps are a pain because of the delay but spring-guns are nice for what you want. Hve you looked at a Webley? They can be a little pricey but I had one that I got a decent deal on used.

On small stuff the speed helps but if you are trying to actually hunt with it you might try a .22. Little more punch than the .177 and a sometimes more accurate because of the speed difference (I have heard that some .177's get a little unstable when you push them too fast...?)

13. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I searched for actual rifle bipods, but clamp-on ones instead of the ones that screw into the front sling bolt. I'll see if I can find it again.

14. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

15. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

If I had to do it over again, I'd have just gotten the shadow 1000 model. First off, the battery they sent me for the light is not the right one, and I still haven't gotten a new one for it. The laser works extremely well though, but I still use the scope the most. The scope, BTW, works extremely well for what it does. I've had absolutely no accuracy problems with it at all. I haven't really sat down to sight it in completely, just rough sighting. But, I can nail birds at up to 25 yards so far. Haven't really tried to go any further. And I don't really have many squirrels and rabbits around here.

16. Hedger

Hedger OT Supporter

I may just go ahead and drive up to Bass Pro shop and pick up a cheapo rifle bipod there. Turns out my neighbor has an old Tech Force that he didn't want and gave to me. I still plan to pick up the Gamo Viper though. I had a little fun with it. Stripped the stain/sealant on there, threw on a scope I had laying around and painted a camo scheme that was similar to the scenery in my backyard. Pics to come in a few.

17. Hedger

Hedger OT Supporter

I had no idea what I was doing but basically just started spraying. Sanded then did a primer, couple base coats, then with the green and tan.

After some sanding:
    [​IMG]
    Complete:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. dkoat

dkoat New Member

nice i want a BB sniper so bad but im broke.

19. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Not bad! How does she shoot?

20. Hedger

Hedger OT Supporter

The scope isn't dialed in yet, but just shooting around I can tell that it's got decent muzzle velocity. Pretty heavy cocking effort and stiff trigger pull.

21. Hedger

Hedger OT Supporter

Well went to the sporting goods store and checked them both out again. I also emailed Gamo last night and asked what the differences were. They said the only real differences were the material that the stock was made out of, and the scope included(which I plan to replace eventually anyways). They have the exact same powerplant, which is all I really care about. It shoots great! I went out back and shot at a can of WD-40 that I left outside earlier. Scope was dead accurate from the factory. Hit the can right smack dab in the middle at ~30 yards. I'm in love! The laser/flashlight combo is nifty too because you could hunt at night if needed. I could see the laser at houses over 500yds away. They also come with touch sensors to mount on the side of the stock incase you want to manually activate them. While I was there I picked up two tubes of PBA ammo which increases velociy 25%. It came with one but I wanted a few more. Not bad for a toy when you're bored.
    Video from youtube of the ammo:
    http://youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch?v=nVX0y2Pcj_s

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]