MIL Any AF officers on OT?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Toology, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Toology

Toology New Member

I have a year left in school and am thinking of joining the AF after I graduate as a logistics officer. Just wondering if anyone here can tell me more about Officer training & boot, how hard it is to get in etc etc. Do you take ASVAB or another type of test? I'm thinking bout' going and talking to a recruiter to get some more info, but the AF recruiter search is like impossible to use, guess I gotta check the phonebook :hs:

2. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

best bet is to talk to a recruiter, or better yet, an officer at a local ROTC detachment (yes, they can help OTS hopefuls).

i can't give you the up to date info, but the bottom line is that it is very difficult right now to get into the air force as an officer, but not impossible if you have/had very good grades in a major the AF needs. again, you need to actually talk to a recruiter or local ROTC officer if possible.

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Ask to be a 33S :mamoru:

4. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Solid advice, accurate general info.

Who would want to be a 33S... WTF :ugh:

:o My life consists of endless meetings and phone calls surrounded by sporadic internet browsing.

5. Toology

Toology New Member

logistics seems like its the thing for me. Good math skills, attention to detail etc... and i'm a business major (general) so I think as a logistics officer I might actually be able to take something with me back to the business world.

Thanks for the advice DaddyO

6. seven

seven New Member

see your local AFROTC det, even if they aren’t at your school, you can go to a nearby school just for ROTC, you might be able to get in even this late. But most likely you will have to do OTS after you get your degree.

ROTC training is a month in the summer, it was piece of cake when I went to it, just be physically fit and read over any training manual you get until you know most of it really well. All you do is wake up early, and have a bunch of captains in your face. It was really kind of dumb, I didn't get anything out of it. I hear that OTS is just the same thing, but it's 3 months long.

you take the AFOQT, it’s not hard, you’re allowed to take it again if you fail, but I have never met anybody who has failed it. It is important to do well on it if you want to get rated (pilot, nav, ABM)

don't talk to an enlisted recruiter about anything except finding a ROTC det, or recruiting officer. Also i find most recruiters will tell you what you want to here, not what you need to, be weary.

Also you should know that the AF is cutting officers right now, we have too many. this will make it harder to get them to pay attention to you, just be persistent if you want to be an officer, keep your grades up as well. i've lost a few buddies to these cuts already, grades are really important.

I'm not an officer yet, but i'll be one in may. :wiggle:

7. ManinCamo

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I think I'll get my Masters before I try to commission.

9. seven

seven New Member

I went this last summer. I'm from a SMC (texas A&M) so camp was like mild version of freshmen year, i think it's unfair to put SMC's in the same FTU as a reg ROTC FTU. About 25-30% of the DG's and SP's were from my school, and the rest were from other SMC's, the rest of the det's thier didnt get a fair shot b/c of us.

what's a sponcor? my det is really bad about telling me stuff (as you can see the by the thread i made about my uniforms). i dont even now where i will be based and i commssion in may. :ugh:. i hope the actual AF is better then this.

10. ManinCamo

I didn't know where I was going or what I was doing until about 45 days out. Sometimes orders take a while to get cut (made, processed)

A sponsor is just someone already stationed at the unit you'll be at. They will help make your transition to base easier, get you information for homes, local area, and be a general point of contact for the base, the unit, and the area (Good ones as least). Bad ones are useless.

11. Zee

Zee New Member

LRO :ugh2: The only officer position in the Air Force that you can actually be in command of a half dozen different AFSC's