SRS Any advice on establishing good a sleep cycle?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SolidRanger, Jan 20, 2010.

1. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

OK a few days ago I caught the flu, and yesterday was the first day of the semester. The flu really screwed up my sleep schedule. The night before the first day of class I only got 20 minutes of sleep the whole night and had to get up for school at 6am. I went through all yesterday fully awake and energized but I couldn't fall asleep until midnight. Then today I slept through all 3 of my alarms, making me miss the first day of one of my classes. I checked the alarms and they all went off, but were turned off. Apparently still mostly asleep I turned off the alarms and went back to sleep, but I have no memory of doing so.

I want to be one of those people who gets tired at the right time, falls asleep, then wakes up well rested 5 minutes before the alarm goes off. What can I do to get my sleep cycle trained that way?

2. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Don't eat 2-3 hours before bed, don't exercise 2-3 hours before bed, but instead exercise at least 30 minutes a day (on average). What do you drink in the evening and afternoon (caffeine/sugar)? Go to bed at least 7 hours before you need to wake up. Keep to your schedule even on weekends.

3. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

So that can't be modified at all? I have to get up for class at 6am M-F, but going to bed at 9-10pm is kind hard on your social life, so I was thinking about getting up at like 8am on weekends.

4. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Oh, you read that... I'm a teacher, so my alarm wakes me up most mornings around 5:50AM. If I know I'm going to have a late night Saturday, I'll nap Friday night. It takes so much longer to catch up on sleep than to lose it: It's a balancing act. No, this does not mean that it's the end of your social life, but it does mean you can't go out Thursday night, Friday, Saturday and hope to get your homework and sleep in on Sunday.

Or, you can do it like my wife. She teaches at a college, and set herself up for evening classes (as she is a night owl). This way, she can get up at 10AM 7 days a week, while still watching Conan without guilt.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

6. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

7. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

8. Kev07

Kev07 New Member

since you have the flu... nyquil :o

also it's good to have a busy day that will get you tired so you can knock out right when you get the chance at 10-11 or whatever

9. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Taking a bunch of benadryl (diphenhydramine) will knock you the fuck out if you need help resetting your cycle by forcing yourself asleep at a normal time, but it's definitely not something you should use as a regular sleep aid.

10. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

I'm really trying to do this as naturally as possible.

11. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

12. BladedThesis

BladedThesis New Member

13. Unspun

Unspun New Member

I found the best way to fix my cycle was to go through about a day or two of absolute HELL.

Basically, wake up really early (the time you want to wake up at) do as much physically/emotional activities you can that day (being emotionally drained as well as physically drained will actually help you fall asleep faster, but that doesn't mean break up with your significant other or something else extreme to get to that point). Closer to night time take a hot shower or bath to help you relax (do not fall asleep in tub) and then go to bed at the time you want. After one or two days of that you will be on a schedule, but your internal alarm won't kick in for about 2 months (guesstimate).