Any advice on a new system under ~ $1000?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kerpal, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I'm going to build a new computer, my budget is around $1000. I'm willing to assemble it myself if there's a big savings, but is there anyone reputable who will build to my specs for close to what I'd pay to just buy all the parts?

I almost never play games (maybe a little CS or Quake 2/3, but nothing new); my main concern is having something fast and super stable that I can keep as long as possible... I need it to be useful for at least the next four years since I'll be depending on it for college. Other than that, I download a ton of music & the ocassional movie and will be using it as a stereo & dvd player.

I was thinking along the lines of an Athlon 64, 1 gig of good memory, big Seagate HD or two, Radeon 9600-something, and a good sound card so I can feed audio into my home reciever. I definately want the best, fastest DVD and CD burners that my budget will allow. Maybe a TV tuner, but only if budget allows. I want a nice, simple black case that'll be easy to work on, nothing fancy or expensive since it'll get dinged up anyway. I already have an Antec PSU to use. And I suppose I'll need a couple cooling fans as well.

Is that a good general plan? What specific brands and components do you guys reccomend?

I'm not totally up to speed on SATA and RAID, are those features I need to concern myself with for this kind of machine? I'm also a bit confused about the different kinds of memory avalible today... what's best for my application? I don't know if I'd ever be overclocking since reliability is my main goal [can you even OC a 64, and would I ever want to?]

I also need a monitor, a 19" LCD, and I have about $500 max to spend (separate from the $1k for the computer). What's best in this price range? I was thinking Sony since the quality should be there and the picture looks nice in person. Again I don't care much about playing games, but my eyesight isn't the best (thus the need for a 19") and I'll be writing a ton for school, so it needs to display text well. A good picture with DVDs would be a nice bonus, but text quality comes first.

Assuming I build it myself, Is newegg still the best place to order components? Who has good prices on LCD's (newegg seems expensive?)? There are some good deals on eBay... good idea, assuming I go with a reputable seller?

TIA for any advice... :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  2. john80

john80 The only constant is change

If you're going to buy online, buy from one vendor...that way it's easy to return things.

for 1000 I don't think you can get all those parts. A 256mb video card wether ATI or Nvidia will run 400 average itself. Your mobo+cpu boxed would cost around 300...So look into getting a 2.4-2.8 range for the price. If you're going for 2.8 range then, go get it built at Dell or something, they're lower systems are cheaper than building yourself. :) ~J

3. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

Hmm, I think you misunderstood what I want. I don't really care much at all about having high end graphics as I don't really play games... I don't plan on spending any more than $133 on a vid card (what a Sapphire 9600XT is going for currently), I might even just get a basic Radeon 9600 for < $90, I'm sure that would still be more than sufficient.

Any other advice?

4. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

You can consider AIW 9600 PRO/XT for your video needs, but they have no DVI (far as I know) for LCD.

I don't think you will need 256MB of RAM for your videocard... Your GUP isn't fast enough to take advantage of that for boards in that price range. (9600 XT/PRO for example)

5. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

For a video card I'd definately look into getting one of ATI's AIW cards, either the 9600XT or 9800 Pro AIW, that'll get you a TV tuner.

For an LCD i'd look at Samsung, i was going to say think about getting a 17" LCD from them with the fast 12ms response time but since you don't do a lot of gaming I don't know how important the faster display refresh is to you.

Chip wise that's really upto your personal preference, i'd probably just get a board with onboard SATA raid and then buy two Segate drives and put them in a raid 0 array.

RAM personally I'd go with Corsair XMS series.

DVD-RW I just picked up a NEC ND-3500A, so far so good, like it a lot actually. Could pickup the Pioneer model as well but I believe it's using the NEC chipset still so basically the same thing.

6. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

yeah, I could really care less about having 256 mb of ram on the vid card since I know I'll never notice the difference. So the all in wonder cards are a better value than buying, say, a plain Radeon 9600 and a separate TV tuner card?

a 19" lcd is definately a must, I don't care much about response time as long as it will be good enough to watch an ocassional movie. I'm mostly concerned with overall image quality, especially text. so far the best I have seen in person are Xerox, Sony, and a higher end Veiwsonic. anyone know if the Xerox LCD's are decent quality?

I'm looking at the 3000+ chip, seems to be a good value. any reccomendations on a mobo?

will running two Seagates (prolly 120 or 160 gb's) in RAID give me faster overall performance than running windows & certain programs (Firefox, Photoshop, etc) off a WD Raptor and just getting a 200 gb Seagate for storage? This is one thing I have been wondering about, the price would be about the same and 200 gb is enough storage space for now.

A lot of people seem to like Corsair... I might get that. I want something super reliable but decently priced.

Thanks for the help... :big grin:

7. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

your budget doesnt seem reasonable for the components you listed

i'd suggest a dell 400sc
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_400sc?c=us&cs=&l=en&s=bsd&
    thatll start you off with with case, mobo, psu, cpu

i believe the vid card is something along the lines of a 9200se but im not sure
    worst case its on of those intel onboard video
    either way you should upgrade to a 96xt or even a 98 pro if you can

sound - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-158&depa=0

1gb of ram will cost you at least $200 so you may want to reconsider 512 or if you go with the 400sc 640 or 768

200gb uata hdds are about $100 these days
    id recommend seagate

dvdrw - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-934&depa=0
    i have the 811 model and no problems and you can get this one to burn dual layer
    dvdrom - you can pick up any at the store for like $20

i got myself a great 19"lcd that cost upwards about 800
    try a samsung 19"
    they have decent prices but high response times

that should put you around $1000 + 500+tax for the lcd

btw do you know a chick named julie?

8. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

So far I'm thinking the A64 3000+, 1 gb of Corsair XMS, 2 Seagates in Raid 0 (whatever size will fit into my budget), Radeon 9600, and go with a 17" screen... should save a good amount of money over the fancier choices and still remain useful for a long time, I think.

Sill looking at mobos, a lot of people seem to like Asus, any opinions?

What about a good dvd/cd (combo) burner?

If I want to make doube back ups of stuff stored on DVD's, can I use a DVD-ROM drive to copy the files? I realized there's no point to getting an additional CD burner when all DVD burners seem to do that anyway.

I'm not even sure if I need a sound card or not since most mobos have built in 6.1, opinions? I want to go with whatever provides the cleanest signal since it will be going into RCA cables to use on my home stereo system. I can't stand the humming that I was getting from using my SB Live with it.

For TV tuners, is there anything good under $50 that has a good picture and a remote? If not, I'll wait...