Any advantage of Vista over WinXP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Besides the interface aesthetic (which I don't care for), is there anything in Vista that is superior to WinXP SP 3?

The only thing I can think of is DirectX 10.

Is there any way to get DirectX 10 onto WinXP?

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Here is a guide for DX10 for XP:
    http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp-from-alky-project/

As far as advantages of Vista over XP....

For all of Vistas faults, the thing is, XP really is a decent OS. I run a laptop and a desktop both are very much Vista compatible. I even purchased (more like scammed, but that is a different thread entirely) legitimate and separate copies of Vista for both computers.

In the end I kept XP on the laptop. The laptop just seemed to run better with XP. The desktop I decided to run Vista on.

I think Microsoft screwed up in making XP so darned good. It is kind of hard to justify going to Vista.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i think Vista just showed the flaws of Microsoft's OS release model. when replacing our OS every few years with what we are told is a full rewrite, we expect a whole lot of new features. after using it for a bit, i've grown more comfortable with it and got to like it, but since the changes were so subtle it wasn't something that blew me away at first glance.

if you are buying a new computer, use vista. from what i've heard, if your hardware runs Vista well, it usually won't run XP any better. so, just make sure you build in enough hardware to run it well.