MIL Any active duty Marines... I think my recruiter is trying to screw me

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

I think my recruiter is trying to screw me. Basically he wants me to sign this "open contract" and then when I make my second trip to MEPS i'm supposed to sign a new contract and that is where I choose my MOS and/or occfld. Does this sound right? He wants me to sign a fricken open contract? I'm not signing an open contract, that's a one way ticket to four years of mess duty.

He basically said that it's standard procedure, but I have no idea if he's telling the truth or if he's just trying to screw me. I want to be an 1812 or an 0861 and he said he can't guarantee an MOS and only a specific occfld which I understand if a Corps-wide policy. When did you actually select your MOS and was the MOS you selected the one you got? Did you select a specific MOS on your second trip to MEPS or did you only select an occfld at MEPS and then were assigned a specific MOS within that occfld after you shipped or something?

I've spent hours searching the forums on various different military and USMC forums and i'm receiving conflicting information and have no idea where to turn because I don't even know if my recruiter or lying or not.

I'd really appreciate advice from AD Marines only, since the process to enlist for the Marine Reserves is different than AD (sorry EYOB :hsd: )

Thanks

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

the marine corps doesn't have mess duty anymore. cook MOS has been phased out.

it's true, he can't guarantee an exact MOS just an occ field, as in 03 infantry or 13 engineering or something. once you're at SOI/MCT that's when your specific MOS is designated.

as for open contract usually you would just be sent to 03 at SOI and be a grunt. what sucks was that there was this one kid that was an open contract to be something stupid like data communications or something and he fucked up during training at MCT and so the 1st sgt got pissed and sent him to SOI and changed his open contract to be infantry. that's the problem with an open contract.

as for trips to MEPS.. that's not kind of how it works. i went to MEPS five times, (1st time for ASVAB, 2nd time for contracting, 3rd time to meet the recruiting marine sgt. major for the area, and 4th time for the IST and final contracting and the 5th time for swearing in and embark)

my contract was changed multiple times, from active duty open contract to active duty MOS specific to reserve MOS specific. whatever contract your recruiter drafts up for you is kind of pointless. what the staff NCO at the MEPS station draft up though and what you go over and read and sign, THAT is the important one. they will go over your paperwork twice (in my MEPS at least) and so make sure you read specifically on 1. your contract length (4 year active 4 year IRR), 2. your contract MOS and 3. any enlistment bonus if you have some.

3. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

dont sign open contract ... ever ... you are not guaranteed an MOS, EVER ... they can however almost guarantee you the MOS Field ... the first 2 numbers.

You dont have to sign any contracts at all until you are ready to join, I didnt sign anything until right prior to my Swearing In at MEPS. Until then I basically told the Recruiter that I wast signing anything until I was ready to go. Went to MEPS, took ASVAB, did Tests n shit and was told what MOS's were available to me ... I picked one that I liked, was given that "field" not the MOS and signed the paperwork. i was on a plane a week later, :coold:

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I'm not a Marine, but Open Contract scares the bejeebus out of me. :noes:

5. afresh

afresh Member

I went in Open Contract and ended up a 2171, Electro Optical Ordinance Repair. I scored a 95 on the asvab and made it to the 2nd interview for the intel field.

Crak600 what MOS are you? I assume from your post you are a 2141? What Tracks BN. you with?

I was with 3rd Tracks for almost 3 years.

6. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

dont go open contract. youll prolly be 0311. im an 0351, so im infantry and my life sucks, but it sucks less than an 11. i wouldnt advise going 0311 unless you are a hardcore mother fucker

7. Accord

Accord New Member

The open contract thing he wants me to sign isn't really a true open contract where i'd be going in not knowing anything, he said that it's standard procedure and all recruits must sign an open contract and then they deal with the specifics as far as MOS field and whatnot at MEPS where I sign a second contract. I'm having trouble discerning whether it truly is standard procedure for ALL recruits to initially sign an open contract or not and i'm getting conflicting information from all directions.

I just wish I had more of an influence over my path in the Corps, I want to be a Forward Observer but if I take the chance of going into the 08xx field, I could very well end up as a Fire Control Man (boring) sitting behind a desk rather than getting dirty and seeing action.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

How much spare time do active duty 03's usually have while in garrison and also while deployed? Reason I ask is I want to take online courses and finish my bachelors degree, so i'm curious as to how much time I would realistically have to do so.

I'm still not settled on an MOS yet, I mean I know what I want to do but odds are I won't get to do it since the jobs in the 08 field are nothing alike and i'd have a 33% chance of becoming what I really want, an 0861. If I went infantry at least i'd know exactly what I was getting whereas if I went Arty it would be a total crapshoot and I could end up doing a number of different jobs which are nothing alike.

9. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

10. Accord

Accord New Member

:squint:

11. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

What's the difference :dunno:

12. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

well, you should be done each weekday about 1700, but it depends on your section leader. if he's hardcore and wants to do stuff with ya, you might have some late nights. if he dont know nothin or dont give a fuck you might get out at 14-1500

if you get into a combat MOS you WILL be deployed. i just graduated the school of infantry and probably 75% of the active duties already know when they are leavin in the next year. some of em are going in a week or two

13. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

0311 is a basic rifleman, the heart of the infantry

0351 is pretty much a rifleman that specializes in demolition, breaching, anti-tank/anti-armor/anti-bunker. so i walk around with the 11's and when the squad leader wants somethin blowed up im the guy who knows how to do it. :big grin:

a few weeks ago i was at the demo range, walking around with a canteen in one cargo pocket, and some TNT and tootsie rolls in the other :big grin:

14. Ranger-AO

Sounds like a Combat Engineer.

:rofl:

15. Accord

Accord New Member

now that's hardcorps :bowdown:

16. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

0351 assaultman works with and SMAW and dragons for antitank and antibunker maneuvers?

17. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Get everything you can in writing. They will do it if they want you.

Someone else mentioned it above...you can get the job field but not specific area given...unless you are shit hot of course.

Stick to your guns.

I'm in Special Intel, no complaints yet.

Good luck :bigthumb:

18. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

as mentioned if you go active you wont get a specific 03 until SOI, however if you go reserves they can gurantee you a specific infantry job (0331, 0311 etc) i went open contract but i was trying to go as an 03 (which i was sure wasnt going to be the hardest mos in the world to get)

19. Accord

Accord New Member

Well, things always seem to work themselves out. I learned yesterday that 4th ANGLICO is literally 10 miles from where I live and that I would be able to join them guaranteed (as long as I can meet the prerequisites such as at least a 275 first class PFT score, etc.).

The thing is, I want to go active duty, so right now 4th ANGLICO is out of the question, however after 4 years I could always go into the reserves with them. So i'm most likely going to enlist with a guarantee for the 18xx Armor OccFld where i'll either be a M1A1 tanker or will be a crew member on the new AAAV Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (EFV) which is going to be replacing the current AAV. The good thing is there are only two primary MOS' within the 18xx field, so I basically know exactly what I would be getting and would be glad to have either of the two MOS'... and after 4 years if I decide to stay in and make a career out of the Corps, great, if not I can always just get out and go into the reserves with 4th ANGLICO.

Life is good.

20. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

Yeah, he's blowing smoke. Don't sign shit.
    I asked for and got the MOS I wanted.

21. Ranger-AO

Very cool. Congrats! :wavey:

22. BajaDak

BajaDak If you have poo......fling it now

HAHAHA a 95 on your asvab and you can't even spell your job correctly.