Any 8" sub suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Guest, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am looking at getting a pair of 8" subs. The only one i have looked at are the JL 8w1's. Any one have any suggestions.

2. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Kicker S8L7

3. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

jl 8w3s are louder/deeper/better than 8w1s. Image Dynamics ID 8s are nice too.

4. The Boy Bastard

The Boy Bastard Bewbie's??

Dynaudio MW170

5. 04

04 Guest

[​IMG] is a really nice sub. www.nuera.ca/preorder.php has them for only 43 dollars apiece! Even though they are based in Canada, their shipping to the US should be decent price. They cant handle too much power though. Only about 150w RMS each.

6. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

my friend has some earthquake 8's(4) that hes trying to get rid of, we had a D2 hooked up to them and it handeld them fine. 100 a pair+ shipping.

7. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I have 3 8w6's that I've had for 4 years. I only have a 400w amp one em, because thats all I can take. I've actually had 1000 watts on em for a month or so, and they soiunded great.

Since you are going for 8's, you propably want sonic superiority. JL is king of 8's, so I would not buy any other brand. Rockford DVC's are good too, but I have had those in my car too, and I put the JL's back. I can't find a sub arround that sounds as clear and matches tambres like 8w6's.

8. 04

04 Guest

That is a very broad generalization about JL audio 8" subs. I agree that they are nice, but JL is not the king of 8" subs. I really do not think you could name one speaker as being the best for any application. You really should look at more 8" subwoofer drivers if you want a fair comparison. You also need to make sure the sub being used is in its proper enclosure volume. The mechanical and electrical properties for every speaker can vary significantly, making a box well suited for one speaker a poor situation for another.

P.S. Do you use equilization on your subwoofers?

9. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

No shit. I've dealt with Rockford, Phoenix Gold, and Boston 8"s. The only 8 that compares in clarity and tambre reproduction would be Velodyne. They are old as hell, and I imagine there has been a revolution in driver design, but my old shop still swears by em. I think the Mobile sound has 3 USAC world champs and two IASCA's.

I have consistantly gotten the best results out of JL's 8's.

10. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Also check out the Morel WR-8, Oz Audio 200L (hard find since they're not made anymore), and the Focal Xpert 7kx (also a hard find).

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

hehe they are good speakers awosme power handling for 8s not in the best condition but still play hard as hell