SRS Anxiety?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HailStorm, Mar 4, 2009.

1. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

Hello all,
    For about the last 2 weeks I have been experiencing a fluttering in my heart off and on all day. I sometimes also get a pounding, and almost irregular heart beat. These symptoms all started after I had (what I think) was a panic attack.
    I've noticed I've been having more and more anxiety as I've progressed through college (I am a junior) starting in my 2nd year.
    I went into the health care center on campus and spoke with a doctor. She told me she thinks it's anxiety but decided to run some tests. I had blood drawn to check my thyriod and a few other things. I'm also getting an EKG in a few hours. I was perscribed Lorazepam to take when I feel symptoms until we have all the test results back and can get me on proper medication. I will also be seeing a psychologist once I can get an appt.
    I guess I'm just looking to see if anyone else has had similar anxiety problems and how they are dealing with it. I'm nervous since I'm new to all of this. :)

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Lorazepam is an excellent anxiolytic. It should help you a lot when you feel such symptoms.

3. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

It does, I took it yesterday before bed since I was really feeling symptoms and it was effecting my sleep. It basically made all the symptoms go away.

4. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

I get something similar, I have a lot of natural heart palpitations that I don't notice the majority of the time but anxiety will shoot my heart rate up like yours does. I had to go to a cardiologist and have a number of tests run to make sure it wasn't a structural defect or anything, but turns out I'm in the same boat as you.

Ultimately you don't need to take drugs to 'correct' it (at least in my opinion). For me, its a useful reminder that I need to take a minute and calm myself down, and with a couple seconds of concentration/breathing I can bring it back down to normal.

5. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

My ECG came back irregular with palpitations. The problem with mine is that my palpitations do not go away, I'm having them currently and I've taken the Lorazepam.
    I hope to get my final diagnosis tomorrow or Friday so we can fix this.

6. Divine Vengeance

mine don't go away either, but the difference for me I guess is that 99.99% of the time I don't notice them. They only come up when wearing a Holter monitor for 24 hours.

My diagnosis was that its, while not necessarily natural, nothing to be worried about. I would imagine your results to be similar.

7. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I have similar symptoms, i take atenolol in the morning and temazepam at night to sleep.

8. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

It was just kind of a fluke that I had the irregular heart rhythm during the ECG, every other time I've been in the doctor hasn't notice anything unusual.
    The pills make me feel normal (but very tired) I'm hoping for a script that is similar but non drowsy.
    I should get the full results of all the tests tomorrow.

9. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

A psychologist of cognitive-behavioral orientation should work just as much as the pills, but without the side-effects and the high risk of being dependent to the drug. Think about it.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Do you know what you want to do with your life?

11. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

No, I have a major and minor, but that's about it.

12. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

Even with having heart palpitations are we allowed to run and exercise like normal?

13. Divine Vengeance

Provided its not due to a structural defect or likely to cause an arrhythmia during physical stress (your doctor will tell you about this), yes you can do whatever you'd like. When I was still getting checked out, the standards applied: avoid caffeine, energy drinks, crack cocaine, methamphetamines.

you know, the usual.

14. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Learn some relaxation techniques. The drugs are a nice instant relief, but they are short term. For long term management/recovery, you really need to learn how to control it without drugs.

Also are you worried about something? what are you thinking about when you suddenly fee anxious?

15. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

No, (or at least not that I can think of) I even just wake up and have my heart racing, like this morning. It's really hard to sleep because if I wake up during the night I feel it and I can't fall back a sleep.

I'm calling my doctor today since I have heard nothing after my tests yet.

16. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

i've been wondering if i've had/have anxiety for a little while now. i get the pounding heart, obsessive thoughts about my heart, as well as a tingling scalp. i also get these really scary head jolts. i looked it up and they all fall under anxiety.

i too started symptoms at about the same time in life. i graduated and my father died two weeks later. head started tingling. but looking back i've been experiencing pounding heart since junior year of college.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  17. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

If you are consuming caffeine, I would drastically reduce your intake of it and when you notice your heart is racing, write down what is going through your head immediately and the time you notice it.

Hopefully with writing down your thoughts and the time you will notice a pattern and less caffeine is always a good thing. I know to much makes me anxious and jittery.

18. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

Just an update:
    My anxiety symptoms have started to ease up and I've been going whole days without taking the medication.
    Since my ECG came back abnormal (heart palpitations) I will now I have wear a heart monitor for a day.