SRS Anxiety? Upset? Life is unfair :(

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by just_another_on, Jun 17, 2009.

1. just_another_on

just_another_on New Member

Argh, so I never thought i'd be posting here but I'd really like to hear all sides/opinions of this I can :hsd:

I really dont know what else to do about this situation at this point, but i guess some input from others is a good thing.

Quick reference/background on the situation.

A little less than a month ago I got pulled over in my area. Cop told me my license was suspended, instead of letting me go with a warning/5 day tag and letting my buddy drive home, he booked me and made me spend the night in jail. (100% clean record, no convictions/charges of any sort).

Spend the night in jail, see the judge in the AM and he says I have 1 month to prove/show my license is legit (pretty much get my shit situated - July 1st is my court date). Drops all charges, no bail, etc etc, walk away no problem.

So, fast forward 2-3 weeks later, where we are now.

Cause of that stupid night in jail, I have to go to court on the 1st, job doesnt like that.

Well, in order for me to go to court and actually get my license situation straightened out, I need to go to Operator control, which is ANOTHER day out of work, they aren't hearing it.

Then, I check the DMV site and it shows that they just doubled/tripled all fines, WTF.

License reinstatement was $76.50 now $151.50
    And registration reinstatement was $51.50 and is now $251.50

Wtf?!?! How can they do that?! Seriously.

So now I have to come up w/ $400 + dollars, then court fee's, plus the day out of work. PLUS I cant even take another day out of work to GET TO THE OPERATOR CONTROL cause I will DEFINITELY lose my job.

----

Pretty much what it comes down to is... what do I do? Cause of the night in jail, followed by a week later I had to take another day out of work, well, they sent me home cause I was sick (worried about flu). So, I can understand their frustration in me needing to take off July 1st, but seriously, what else can I do?

Not only do I have to take out July 1st, i NEED to take out a day before then to get to the Operator control to pay my bills/reinstate my license... but if they are giving me such a stench about taking off the 1st, how can I even go about telling them I need a day before that off?

Im ready to break down. I dont do shit at my job anyway, its not like they cant replace me for the day. Its seriously not hard. But at the same point, thats the scary part and the reason I know they can/will replace/fire me.

What do I do? Lose my license or my job? I can't do any of this over the phone/via debit card cause the state sucks.

Help :wtc:

2. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

what about a compromise? Take 2 half days to equal 1. Surely you don't need all day at the operator control do you?

worst case is that you explain what you have to do, they let you go anyways and you find a new job.

3. just_another_on

Well, what it will come down to I personally think is Job vs. License.

License > job ANY day of the week, I've gone with out my license before and I am NOT doing that again.

As far as 2 half days, I would say yes, but I can't. Operator control + court are two things that can be anything from 1 hour to 5 hours. I simply dont know how long I will be at each, its all based on the timing/speed of clercs.

4. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

So you don't have any earned personal time?

Have you tried to explain it to your boss?

5. D7

D7 OT Supporter

What did your work say about taking the day off?

6. just_another_on

I started the job a little less than six months ago.

Its 6 months before you get any personal time/days off. Plus, on top of that I had to take that day I went to jail off from work, and the week after I was sick and they sent me home. So, i've 'missed' two days of work in the past 3 weeks, which I guess is kind of shitty but in reality, what do I do about it?

I did NOT tell them I went to jail, obviously.

My boss, well, he's very old school and it sucks. I wrote him the email this morning letting him know I need the 1st of July off and his reply was, "You must not like your job" :hs:

7. just_another_on

And thats just for the court date... I still am going to need to take off a day before then to go and situate everything.

8. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

You need to level with him, be up frotn and honest about it and stand your ground. Dont' write and email, speak to him. give him the "i'm trying to get my life in order" speech.

9. just_another_on

Well, thats my next order of attack.

He has one guy who sits int he office and does the 'technical' side of things. As soon as I sent the email, he called me, didnt email me back.

Ugh, I dont know.

My brother and I are identical twins, his office is much more laid back than mine, going to try and get him to take a ride down there for me this week or early next week :hsd: Hopefully he'll do it

10. D7

D7 OT Supporter

I would tell him that I like my job and value working for such and such company. Say you understand their concerns, this isn't normal for you and express that you need to take some time to handle personal business that can only be conducted during business hours.

11. just_another_on

Going to go for that for sure. Thank you :kiss:

Why wouldnt the state/DMV open a few hours late during the week to help out people in white collar jobs? I mean come on, closing a state office @ 3:15pm is just :ugh:. When the cop was arresting me he told me they "are open late on thursdays"... fucking lying pig.

12. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

So you're license was suspended but you have a 100% clean record?

That doesn't make sense to me, because why would your license have been suspended at all if you were 100% clean. Or am I reading this wrong?

13. just_another_on

My criminal record is 100% clean. For a cop to take in and arrest someone for a suspended license is just :wtf:. I've talked to 3 cops since the incident who I am friends with and they both said it was a bit much for a 'first offense'

My license was suspended cause the car I was driving had an expired inspection sticker. I got the car inspected after it expired, called them to let them know/update my registration, they apparently never did. Which then resulted in my 'losing' my license, but in actuallity it was all done/taken care of. It all started with a clerical error.

And as far as the cop, the SAME cop has pulled me over 4 times. Once in my buddies car (I was passenger) and 3 times in my car. The first 2 times in my car he couldnt/didnt have a reason to cite me, and let me go cause he was 'being nice'. Third time he 'finally' got me with something.

I didnt bring that up cause im not one to "wah wah wah, cop was picking on me, wah wah wah" and play those games. But the cop has harrassed me in the past and I have filed a case with the Providence Police department about him.

14. just_another_on

For the record, since all this has happened, I have sold my car to stop the 'easy spottings'

Car was bright yellow, super charged, exhaust, etc etc. All legal though.

15. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

so wait, you're going to send your brother to the DMV?

16. just_another_on

Well, that was the plan. We are identical twins and he can get time out of the office easily cause of his job. I'd just give him my license + money, but he isnt hearing it. So that option is out the window.

So much for the easy way out, now its going to come down to my job allowing me the time off, or me just taking it and saying :madfawk: to my boss.

17. D7

D7 OT Supporter

Make sure to also communicate how you will take care of your clients before you leave and there won't be any problems while you're gone.

You might also talk to him about working 4 x 10 or work through your lunches 9 x 4 so you're only short 4 hours for the week. Try to pull it off like you're making yourself available to the customers still. Or if you're coming in before your clients are in the office, its a good time to do that report that you never have time to look at.

If you talk to him about working 9 or 10 hour days, make sure to be up front that you need two days off and of course tell him you know this is an exception. Don't tell him its an exception and only ask for one of the days and then come back later and ask for the second day.

18. just_another_on

See, thats the thing. Its not the hours, or the clients, or any of that is interferring. Fact of the matter is, if/when I do take days off, I dont really 'lose' anything. I have no work and at this point in time im mainly a receptionist because of how slow our department is.

We wont lose any type of productivity, we wont lose any money, we wont really lose ANYTHING. But my manager is just so old school and 'taking days off is irresponsible'. So its a dead end.

UGH

19. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

legal shit > *

your jobs gives two shits about you. handle your business and tell them to fuck off, grow a pair while your at it seriously or you will wind up being pushed around your whole life.

20. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

It irresponsibility not to deal with your legal responsibilities. dude come on. stand up to your boss.

your job doesnt sound that great anyway. you can always find another job. dont unnessarily comlicate your life with legal bs.

21. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

sounds like you already got it in your head that he's going to fire you, and from what I understand you havent' even talked to him about it.

22. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

I can't remember what I was going to say.. thanks to your avatar, just_another_on

23. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

as much as I like you, this isn't the fitness forum. So please keep from using that locker room jargon here.

24. just_another_on

Grow a pair? What does growing a pair have to do with anything? I emailed/spoke to my manager this morning about needing the court date off. He said I could have it and replied with "You must not like your job, this is it"

I then would have to ask for an additional day off before the court date to make it down to the Operator Control to pay my fines.

Fucking DOT. :werd: and I totally agree. My job is 'great' in the sense of pay, but its totally not something I want to be doing for ever.

And like I said, my license > my job. I know/understand this and refuse to lose my license for any reasons. Its my life line.

25. just_another_on

I've emailed and spoke with him about it this morning.

Exact words were, "You must not like your job, this is it". Like I said, he's probably still upset because of the two days off I've had in the recent month. One due to the night in jail, and the second due to the day they sent me home cause I was sick (big corporate white collar company = no chances of swine flu allowed).