SRS Anxiety problems.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by korverftw, Jan 11, 2010.

1. korverftw

korverftw New Member

I've had anxiety issues for years and have never been able to completely narrow them down. All I know is it primarily kicks in in classroom situations and sometimes in social situations. I can talk at a work meeting, or I can play a show with my band for hundreds of people and not get overly nervous or panicked at all, but my stomach cramps up with nervousness if I have to give a 15 minute oral report, answer a question that requires thinking on the spot, or even do a self-introduction for a college course.

I've had it forever, but it started getting serious in high school. I would get sick to my stomach before certain classes or projects/assignments were due and I'd have to call my mom and have her check me out of school and I'd go home and feel fine. Some classes I barely ever went to and I ended up barely graduating on time. I kind of just went with it and figured it would clear itself up during college. Now I'm in my last year of college and it has not cleared itself up.

My new friend from college invited me to her house to hang out and play Rock Band today, so I went, and there were 12 or 13 people whom I'd never met just hanging out. I felt totally uncomfortable and had to bail after 30 minutes because I was sweating and getting sick. When I got home, I checked the syllabus online for the class that I have tomorrow (first day of Spring semester). I noticed on the assignment list I have an oral presentation worth 20% of my grade. Again, stomach tightened up, freaked out, and had to lie down and breath for a while before I could even think straight. This is an example of what I've been going through for ~8 years.

I know it sounds super crazy. Do I need to see a doctor? I'm not opposed to it. I just want to be slightly more normal in social situations which I'll be seeing a lot of over the next 60-70 years of my life.

2. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Have you tried any grounding techniques? :hs: They help me a lot.

3. korverftw

korverftw New Member

I've seen and tried all that stuff. Once I get the nervous stomach ache, nothing helps it. Sometimes before the stomach ache sets in, deep breaths can prevent or postpone the symptoms, but for the most part grounding techniques don't help me.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

As in...YOU'RE GROUNDED FOR 3 WEEKS....those kind of techniques? :)

5. Lucky Penny

:rofl::rofl::rofl: No. And you're right, I should have explained.

The one that helps me the most right now is this 5,4,3,2,1 technique.
    When you start to get anxious, survey your surroundings and name 5 objects that you can see (you can name them in your head. I find it helps if I describe each of the objects to myself). Then name and touch 4 different things. Then 3 different things you can hear, 2 you can smell. The last sensory task is to tap your feet on the floor or take a few steps- the point is to feel the ground beneath you.

A few more ideas: http://www.squidoo.com/Grounding-Techniques

If I wait too long they don't work for me either. BUT before I get to that point there are certain behaviors I perform subconsciously. If I'm sitting I'll bounce my knee or pick at my shirt or nails. I blink A LOT. I hold my breath. If I realize I'm doing any of those things then I do the grounding techniques and they usually help. Not 100% of the time but I just learned about them myself. Sometimes I have to do them a few times in a row to really calm down, though the more I practice the easier it is.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

:love:

7. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

I believe that these types of problems have to do with one's insecurities. I've been struggling with the same exact problem (amongst others) for about 8 years too. Basically I think if you get rid of your insecurities then confidence will naturally come to you. I'm going to see a school counselor tomorrow, I suggest you do the same. I've been trying to beat my anxiety for about 8 years and all that has happened is that now I live a secluded lifestyle. It has driven me to have no friends and feeling lonely as hell.

8. Japan Four

Japan Four Guest

how much do you exercise? Exercise doesnt remove the anxiety, but in my experience it lowers the intensity of my anxiety to a more managable degree.

9. korverftw

korverftw New Member

Pretty much zero, besides walking around between classes all day which probably totals a mile. I also have to work on my eating habits -- usually I just eat one meal per day around 2 or 3 and its rarely healthy. Definitely things I have to work on.

10. korverftw

korverftw New Member

LOL. Exactly the same problem here. Just recently I realized I was smiling like a retard during my entire final presentation last semester. Voice cracks sometimes too, and sometimes I just forget how to talk completely.

11. Memor

Memor Active Member

I used to have horrendous anxiety in the first couple years of college about speaking in class to the point where I'd get dizzy and feel sick all the time. Finally went and saw a doc about it and didn't go on meds or anything but it did help a lot to talk to someone. She suggested I start changing things one step at a time. I also never exercised so I did that. Then I ate better. Then I'd sit in the front of every class. Then I'd force myself to raise my hand during the first week of each class and answer something.

It was really uncomfortable and I came close so many times to bailing but I just kept reminding myself of how awful life spent in constant anxiety is; and the more you procrastinate on fixing it the more the problem bothers you and you have anxiety about your own anxiety and your inability to address it.

Make small changes. Go see a doc. It will get better. I'm in my last year now and am very confident in all my classes, always speak up, etc. Life is much better.

12. Wilddog

Wilddog OT Supporter

Having suffered from anxiety, I can tell you it is VERY treatable. I highly suggest you take a CBT class or pick up a cbt-based workbook from the book store.
    The key is that you need to feel the fear and work through it with various cognitive techniques.

13. MoP

MoP New Member

14. surrender

surrender [ON MEDS]

I dealt with terrible social anxiety in my first few years of college, and I treated it with CBT. Mostly, it consisted identifying my irrational thoughts and telling myself why they were illogical - for example, that everyone around me is not watching and judging me for having a tiny blemish. I was fortunate enough to not need medication, but I'm taking an SSRI now for depression and it's worked wonders, so that could be an option (in conjunction with therapy, of course).

15. PcH

PcH Guest

Thanks for that grounding techniques link, LP. I didn't know they were called that and that's what I try to do when I have anxiety or panic. I've been worrying about EVERYTHING. When I get anxiety I'll talk to myself in my head and calm myself down. Everything is going to be okay, etc.

16. Lucky Penny

Sure babe! I've been working with a few others too, I'll pm you about them :hsd:

17. Car1

Car1 New Member

It sounds like you have some Social Anxiety Disorder; commonly referred to as "Social Phobia".

I know that the Asylum members most often suggest a conservative approach first (i.e., no meds), and that's probably a good thing, but I'd like to mention that Social Phobia can be successfully treated with SSRIs if the problem gets out of hand (e.g., you become isolated from people; you become hypervigilant; you shake/sweat/panic in public, etc.)

18. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

Uggh, today I had my first panic attack. I was in class, and all of a sudden I started getting cold, shaking a bit, sweating then I literally went to the bathroom like 3 times in the span of an hour.:wtc: