SRS Anxiety problems.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Skeletor, May 28, 2006.

1. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I have prolems with anxiety in certain situations. The three main ones are

1) talking on the phone, especially to new people in a work setting... jobs that involve talking to customers on the phone usually scares me

2) public performance or speech... I have no problem raising my hand to say my opinion in class, but when it comes down to stuff like giving a speech or presenting something in front of a class, whether I've prepared it or if it's reading out of a book, I find it extremely uncomfortable (even though the prepared material may be superb or my reading very well). This is about one of the most nervewrecking things I've experienced. Honestly it doesn't matter whether I look and sound great, or people think negative of my performance and I make an ass of myself by saying something stupid. I don't care about other peoples opinions of me that much. Usually I can find reasons for my problems but this one is special.

3) taking public transportation... I don't know what it is, and I took the bus and streetcars everywhere as a younger teen... I had the anxiety before and I still have it, which is why I choose to drive everywhere. I know it sounds lame or even racist but what I worry about is people on the bus who are gangbangers or thugs who might start trouble... I never really felt this as a young kid, I guess it developed during middle school when a few incidents happened where kids of that type tried to rob me or start fights. If I'm on the street and I walk by a thuggish looking guy, there is no anxiety.

I do not experience social anxiety in other aspects of life. I could approach some random guy or girl on the street and strike up a conversation. I have no trouble talking to girls, asking people for directions (although I don't because I have a great sense of direction :fawk: :typicalguy:)... It is just these aspects that I guess have either developed or I never grew into.

The public speaking thing bothers me in particular in that I'm taking a speech course (required of course... damn it!) this summer and even though it's Interpersonal Communication, I spent the first two weeks after just registering for it worried that I would have to start talking about myself.

2. 2500

2500 Guest

i've done research on anxiety because i suffer also. one common anxiety causing fear is the fear of embarassing yourself. which could lead to the public speaking thing. your on the spot, everyones looking at you, and your nervous you'll do something wrong, or slip on your way up to the stand, or stumble over words. it could be that, but the on the phone thing throws that off. phone conversations should be easy to handle. i'm not sure about that one, but for the public speaking, my theory could be a factor in it.

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I guess... I think what it is is probably mainly not knowing what to say... Watching videos of people forgetting the national anthem at sports events makes me really nervous and feel extremely sorry for them like that's the worst thing they could have done (despite the fact that I don't care about the national anthem that deeply).

I guess it's the not knowing what to say part...

4. WangHangLow

WangHangLow Live it, Love it, Lax!

I understand the talking on the phone thing. I absolutely hate talking on teh phone and I frequently don't answer my cell phone. All my friends know just to leave me voice mail inviting me out to do stuff cuz otherwise I won't call them back. Woast part about that is I got the number of a girl I hooked up with alst night and well I just can't bring myself to call her. Its like fucking impossible for me. So I understand how u feel. I may be because I take social cues from peoples body language and expression and thats not there over the phone and I feel extremely nervous when it isn;t there

5. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

skealator all of your problems will fade over time!!

btw, how old are you??

6. 2500

2500 Guest

yeah, i saw those vids of the chics forgetting the words, and damn, that must feel so terrible. i can see where the anxiety comes from though man. having everyone staring at you, hoping you won't slip on words and stuff. its a common fear. i'm sure everyone thats not infront of crowds of people often has some anxiety. i know i did in speech class. but, i think the more you worry about it, the worse it gets. at least thats how my anxiety is. for public speaking, next time you have to, try looking into the audience, and, only talk to specific people. try to make the room disapear, and, pretend your talking one on one with people. i'm not sure what else to tell ya, but, thats all i could think of. i know there are tons of public speaking programs and classes and stuff. also, stuff to get over anxiety about that. maybe once you do it more, you'll get used to it?

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

19. I know they'll fade, I'm just being a wuss :hs: :love:

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2006
  8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Yeah that is defnitely true. When I registered for the course I was really nervous about it, but I just realized it's not for a while and it's silly to be dwelling on something dumb.... but now it's been a month and it's coming up and the nervousness is kind of building up. I'm sure once I get there I'll be fine and just have the "gotta do what you gotta do" attitude I take up when the anxiety is simply too strong.

Thanks for the encouragement... My problems are tiny and insignificant compared to many people on the asylum and I shouldn't be taking attention away from the people who need it. I just am a strong person in pretty much every aspect of my character except when it comes to this, I've dropped classes in high school and college because I was told I'd have to do large presentations, and by being weak then I've built it up into something bigger than it should be.

9. 2500

2500 Guest

oh trust me, i know how that is. i'm a very strong, independant person. but when it comes to my anxiety, its hard getting a grip. and, for some people this might be a small, insignificant problem, but to you, its bothering you, so its not taking attention away from others. most of the time with anxiety, it starts as something small, mentally made into a big deal, until it flips into you believing its a big deal. like, with my hypochondria, when it first started, lets say i had a headache. i would worry about it until i believed it was cancer. THEN, my anxiety would get bad, and out of control. so, i think with this, its, something normal to worry about, but your mind has gotten away from you with this, so now it does seem like a big problem. best thing to do is think about how many thousands of people give speeches each day. people slip up on words sometimes, but its no big deal. if you were in the audience and someone else stumbled over words, chances are, you wouldn't laugh and you would feel sorry for them. cuz, everyone knows its tough to do it, so, i don't think people are too hard on ya even if you do slip up. unless this is like, 9th grade, lol. before your big speeches, maybe sit down with your family and a few friends and do the speech for them. once you do it for, lets say, 10 people, it won't be so bad the next day. i'm sure you'll be fine.

10. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

i have an anxiety disorder and trust me it sucks....i would do just about anything to have it go away. :wtc: